Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Base Improvement Suggestions/Thoughts Needed

Base Improvement Suggestions/Thoughts Needed

Looking for a few ideas to improve the base of this guy, he failed to place in Euro and I think the main reason was the base, I am limited to GW's stupid rule in that it has to be a gaming base as it is my intention to enter it in GD on the weekend.

I intend to add a little more sand/gravel on the front area to hide the seating of the figures base but can't go to high as he comes out that way. I was then going to throw some pigments at it.

Do you think I should add some patches of static grass or maybe a skull?

Photo was with a flash at Euro over the weekend so ignore the washed out look of the mini
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

I think the main thing is the contrast with the mini, or rather lack of it. I'd be tempted to go alot darker with the main body of the base (but keep the highlight range), and add some colours with pigments, grass, skulls (*groan*) or whatever. The main thing is to get it shaded richer and less middly with the greys though I think.

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    My first thoughts are WOW! Nicely painted mate. Why don't we see more of your stuff?????
    IMO the base needs some colours. I don't think adding grass will suit the battlefield situation. It needs some mud and dirt

Blog Entries
    My thought is the base needs some colour that is different to the mini. I don't see any green on the mini, how about some tufts o' grass in between the crags of the ruins?
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Shane, there are a few photos in my gallery of this and others that I have done.

Scott, I was thinking maybe just the smallest of bits of grass around the ajor rock pieces but at the same time thought maybe some green pigment to represent moss/algae might be better along with brown pigments and some of the pigment resin to represent mud.

Orki, I am moving away from the idea of static grass and skulls I don't think it would work that well.

I may however see what it is like with some purple wash dribled over it before putting the pigments on.
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries
    moss/lichen may work to add in some green. I also think some additional contrast between the various concrete chunks, and overall darkening of the base will help pop the mini.

i think theirs a few things u can do, rust pigments for the razorwize, rust washes/paint washes/oil washes or the base, u could also do a small pipe coming out the front, also the base lacks a bit of height, usually i try to get a low, middle and top to my bases, you could but in a sign leaning out to the right alittle, bit of a building, some masonry, just somethin simple to add that height. Some bits of paper, like chaos clan or legio divinicus(sp?) leaflets, also maybe some built casings, the odd rocket, sand bags, bodies, helmets theirs alot ur could add.
    as or grass' u could always make em charred
    But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known, a life of dubious virtue...

Very nice piece WG. If it was me I'd go alot darker on the base and predominantly green/purple to contrast the mini, wouldn't use grass though as I don't think it would fit the battlefield theme.

Quote Originally Posted by kdlynch View Post
    moss/lichen may work to add in some green. I also think some additional contrast between the various concrete chunks, and overall darkening of the base will help pop the mini.
    Still the most important thing you can do WG! I should of reasserted it earlier, but this is at the crux of the matter.

It don't matter what you add or what colours if any that you use, just get the contrast and depth up.

Edit - Ulfgrimr's got it too.

I will also say that it feels rather flat, not just in contrast as mentioned, but there's no real depth to it, and it's got too much to it to be a simple base, so you're kind of stuck in a middle ground now. I'd add some metals, corrugated or otherwise coming off at intersecting angle to the mini - like 45 or 70ish degrees, not to far but far enough to be read by the eyes. These should be deep colored with a heavy dusting of rust. You might even consider sticking a plate at a 45 coming straight out the front just under the razorwire. Look at some old WW2 aftermath photos and see what kind of stuff is in the piles,, you'll see things like picture frames, piano's, tables, pipes, netting/screens, all sorts of random 'home' objects. Look around your kitchen, find something you'd like to see blown up and make a mini copy of it and it in.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast