Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Painting Fur and stuff

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries

Painting Fur and stuff

So I am prepping a bunch of mini's and realizing it's been a while since I painted any fur on a mini. I think I might be kinda avoiding it.

My fur always tends to be the weakest part of the mini I think. I tend to get caught in the rut of base grey, wash black, highlight lighter grey to white.

I need to get crazy and try some cool colour combo's and stuff. Anyone have any good experiences, links, examples, of well done fur schemes? I'd love to get some discussion out there on what people find works and what doesn't.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly ChampionActivity Award
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    yeah my fur sucks...

I saw a pretty easy and good result mix here :http://skullcrafts.com/forum/index.php?topic=580.0

The furs dead easy, just requires a little time.
    I start of with a light colour those were basecoated in Desert Yellow.
    I then drybrushed it with Bleached bone, and Skull white on the tips, the clever bit is using 4 of the new GW washes, Sepia first, and layer that leaving a little of the basecoat above the white, and then ogryn flesh, doing the same, and then Devlan Mud, same way and finally Badab black right at the top.
    Work exactly the same if you use greys as the basecoat and 1st highlight.
    Sometimes the Devlan and Badab need a couple of coats, just tease them out to graduate the colours.
    The most important bit is let each wash dry completly before using the next or you'll end up with patchy bits.
    Hope this makes sense?

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Love it! Gonna try it!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly ChampionActivity Award
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Thats a nice way of doing fur, I shall give that a go myself as I have a mini on the bench at the moment with a lot of fur to be done.
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    For fur I like to work up from gravyards with a devlan mud wash and adding space wolves grey to the mix for highlighting then introduce some ivory thena touch of white, I will often then apply more wash to the recess using devlan mud, gryphonne sepia or badab black depending on what look I want.
    For a more dun fur try working up from desert yellow instead. Dont be afraid of adding blue into the mix too. Your a butcher so you know ahts furs like in real life - never is it just black white and grey
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate