Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geisha WIP

Enlightened Wamp

Geisha WIP

Had some decent sit down time at the weekend to get a bit of painting in. Did a bit more work on the SmartMax piece that I've been on of late, but wasn't really in the mood for dark and gritty, so I decided to make a start on this little lady...

I've absolutely no idea which model or range she is, and the tab wasn't at all helpful....before I removed it!! :D

Most of this is still pretty rough currently, but the freehands have been tidied up, so that I can get the blending of the kimono sorted. The face, similarly isn't blended right yet and the hair/headdress is nowhere near done.
    Also the border/hem of the kimono isn't even basecoated yet.

I'm struggling a little with the darkening of the kimono too, because green isn't a colour that I use like this very often at all. The basic colour is GW camo green mixed with GW scorpion green, so it's quite an acidic colour. Working down from here is the issue... Darker, but still quite saturated....
    :?
    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalGamer View Post
    You people scare me

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    love that freehand mate - nice and crisp.
    cant help with the shading - i use those colours for greenskins a fair bit (just about to post a wip with it actually!) but I shade those with purple .
    The face freaks me out - dunno why just does - its probably the disapproving look - frightens most husbands!
    if the rest is as good as the freehand your onto a winner

I like to French Kiss Racoons

Wamp Apostle
    That freehand is awesome! I'm impressed.

Blog Entries
    Took your photo into my editing software and picked out a mid tone for the yellow/green and stuck the colour value into Adobe Kuler.

Looks like you may want to make your red a little bit pinker as you work on it.
    "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
    I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Blog Entries
    that free hand is top draw
    Exiles Painting Blog
    Yesterday is gone
    Let tomorrow take care of its self
    Today is for Wargaming and having fun.....

Fantastic bit of freehand on this one!

Enlightened Wamp
    Thanks chaps

I do so wish that I could take a consistently average photo! most pics are just using my desk lamp and a bit of card, and then rely on GIMP to sort the worst of it out...
    Well, in this case, I realised later that the colours on here are well off - largely due to Boris (Thanks B! ).
    The crane in the freehand was done with warlock purple, yet looks red, the green looks more yellow and the cold blueish(!!!) face looks brown! hahaha!

Not sure if this set helps any more, but it does show progress on the kimono....

I do want it to look silky in the end, so from the original mix of camo green and scorpion green I've gone up using VMC Panzer Aces Stencil (basically a VERY pale khaki) and gone down using 1st goblin green, then scaly green and then some VMC violet at the end - which for some reason when mixed with the green mixture turned a shade that I would on 1st inspection call BLUE! Now, I know in terms of the spectrum that you would have to pass through blue to get to purple, but I never would have thought that mixing a green (turquoisey toned) with a really purple colour, in violet, would make a paint turn BLUE!? I thought that as a primary colour blue can't be begat from others.... Today I have either learned something very valuable, I've gone slightly colour blind or I've just admitted to being a complete div......

@Brett - It's the arms folded stance AND snotty look that is the frightener! You KNOW that you've done something VERY wrong if she's looking at you like that, and maybe that last drinky or 2 wasn't such a good idea
    You people scare me

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    thats looking much better mate. what colour you going for on the robe edge trim?

Enlightened Wamp
    Dunno. I'm sort of making it up as I go along! :D
    You people scare me

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    violet perhaps? would complement the shading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast