Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: WIP World Eaters-Hounds of Istvaan

Hybrid View

WIP World Eaters-Hounds of Istvaan

Just finished painting 2k worth of Sisters for a tournament and it really made we want to improve my painting. Not really painting anything for 5ish years really shows when comparing my old Canoness in the army against the new characters. Granted Valorous Heart isn't the flashiest of color schemes, but I know I can do a lot better than this.
    Sisters 1.jpg

The tournament in general really sparked my passion for warhammer again and getting back in to painting. While my sisters are not the prettiest army its the first time I've ever had a fully painted army. Not even my Malifaux crews I think ever reached full painted status. So with the itch to get back in to the hobby, I decided I wanted to redo the army that got me in to wargaming, World Eaters. Not just any World Eaters though, I want to do them Heresy style. Mostly because I think their Heresy color scheme looks way cooler, and the gore pops so much more. Downside to this from a gaming stand point is that I'm kinds of restricted currently in building lists since i want to stay away from the more Daemon aspects of CSM. From a hobby perspective besides needing to do some conversion work which I'll get in to later, I also want all my infantry in Mk3 power armor. I also need to relearn how to do White well again, on top of just getting back in to the groove of painting. For reference on me somewhat knowing what to do, my old painting thread. IT also shows I used to know how to take decent mini photos.
    http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/showthread.php?t=15968

So my currently goal for the Hounds of Istvaan is 1k points of the following.
    -Kharn
    -Exalted Champion
    -24 Berzerkers
    -3 Rhinos
    -Other (Probably a Hellbrute)
    To start with got a pile of Mk3 marines off a friend that are currently taking a simple green bath.
    20190407_184114.jpg
    First thing is going to be breaking the arms and/or shoulder pads off all these guys. Every body is going to need their left should off because they are all getting the Forgeworld World Eater shoulders. It hurts to do since a bunch already have Iron Warrior shoulders on them. For now going to need to break all the arms off the ones that are going to become berzerkers. The easiest solution I've figured out for getting melee arms on to mk3 armor is to use Bloodreaver arms. Currently looking to see if any AoS players got bits before I buy a box myself. Went with Victoria Miniatures Chain Swords and Axes to cover their load outs, and Legion Vexilla to cover Icons of Wrath. For the guys not carrying bolters, there are 6 guys with plasma, one heavy bolter, and 2 melta guns. Enough plasma to do a Chosen squad which is nice, and the Melta guys could get their backpacks swapped to be Raptors. Sadly don't have any plans for Mr. Heavy Bolter

20190407_184141.jpg
    Shame I don't have a lot of use for many of the characters. Guy with the powerfist will probably just become one of the berzerker champions, but also debating if I go full WYSIWYG and swap the pistol for a chainsword. Guy with the sword on the far right will probably be the Exalted Champion, since he seems like the kind of guy walking around with THE MURDER SWORD. Could maybe use Banner guy as a Dark Apostle. Don't have a lot of options for the thunder hammer guys since only Characters get them in Chaos. We also don't get Storm Shield which is sad since the shield guy looks sweet. Could just say its how he gets his 4+ invul. The apothocary basically has no use in chaos.

So decent amount of stuff to get cleaned up and start with. The fun part right now will be figuring out what guys are resin and which are plastic. Got enough basic dudes to work on that I should get the feel of painting white again. Rather than spraying a pure white and using a grey wash like I did for most things in my old thread, going to try grey-white with pure white edge highlighting and black recess shading. As an added bonus I'll also remember how to paint flesh well since every berzerker is bare armed.

Bonus Picture, my cat Tika being an asshole while I try to take photos.
    20190407_184150.jpg

20190408_213407.jpg
    So most of them have gone through the simple green and my game of "Who is resin and who is plastic" become "what the hell were these primed with". That metal paint is not coming off. Not the end of the world since should be able to prime over it easily enough. It'll be like painting pewter models without the chipping. The guys I'm more concerned over are the ones still sitting in the simple green. Power fist guy is still in there mostly because the paint is coming off him really odd. The other guys are primed black and may just need a long soak since some of its coming off one side, but the other side is like the metal primer. Mostly concerned since likely going to prime these white or at the very least grey and would prefer not to build that up over black.

As for the Iron warrior shoulders, managed to salvage 16 of the 17 there were. 17th is probably fixable at least if somebody really wanted to get use out of it. Put the shoulders up in a local warhammer group to anyone who wanted them for the cost to ship them.
    20190408_231959.jpg

20190408_232335.jpg
    Special weapon guys were the easiest since all I needed to do was get the left shoulders off them. Two of them also had their left arms broken off in the process. Easy fixes at least and I have enough spare arms from the other guys to find ones that work well with the weapons.

20190408_232456.jpg
    These guys are currently doing their best Abaddon impressions while I wait for bits. Two of them had their torso cracked off while getting the arms off. One of the them also broke the lower piece of the torso off. Should be simple enough to fix but it makes me hesitant to do complete reposes. I'll likely use the two who separated as the first pair to convert to get an idea if its worth reposing. Its not exactly a dynamic kit so if I do anything may just redo heads. Unsure if I'm going to use the power fist guy as a berzerker champion or not. Turns out he's the Narik Dreygur model from 2015.

What a lovely kitty cat.

I'm not on here often, so don't take it personally if I don't reply for ages.

Are you planning on priming/spraying with a zenithal highlight? That goes a long way when painting white.