Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trueName's Blood bowl teams wip

It's a real shame I lost the momentum with these, but I'm spending a bit more time on them now. I tidied up the bit of a mess with the ink and am ready for the next step.

I'm trying this with just two to make sure it works first. I've masked off the stuff painted so far so I can try some more airbrushing. Masking stuff off is really fiddle and difficult - I can see it taking quite a bit of time doing the rest.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Sprayed terracotta and then red gore from above. Nearly had a disaster when I picked up the wrong un-masked miniature <eek!>, but thankfully I spotted that mistake in time:

Next up a wire brush and a pointy thing to scrape away the paint back the the silver - lets see if the hairspray did it's work:

Not too bad, although again timeconsuming - it might be easier on something bigger. You can see I've gone through to the plastic here and there - I'll have to touch that up. I should have put this guys player numbers on before the weathering, but I can survive with this one looking a bit different.

I think I'll move this one miniature along a bit more before removing the masking to see if that worked.

I really want to try airbrushing the orc flesh, so time for more masking - although the remaining areas will be quite small and fiddly. Maybe after tea.

Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not bad at all. I'd never heard of using a wire brush to do it.

Masked off some more to try green on the skin. I'm not very good at mixing up green so didn't get the colour I was after really. Maybe I should just buy some more paints, but I have load of my old citadel ones and mixing colours seems like a good thing to be able to do.

Thoughts about masking: Applying mask like this is time consuming and difficult (although using liquid mask to help get an effect seems to work well - like on the Rapunzel in my gallery). And if putting the mask on was difficult taking it off again is a real pain. You can see in the photos area where the vallejo liquid mask is still there - I'll try lifting it with blu tac or something.

So I think if I want to play with an airbrush more and mask of sections (rather than masking for effect), I might have to invest in some sort of masking putty.

Enough about masking. There's flooding here and there with the green (still quite new with this airbrush thing really). I'm wondering if the red is a bit too dark compared to the clothing. But it's all an experiment at this stage, so all is good.

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can also use silly putty for masking. Its cheap and works really well. Its easy to find here in the US at the dollar stores in the toy isle.
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Thanks vegascat - I'll give the pound shops a look when I'm next in town. Silly putty sounds like it'll be nicer than the liquid mask - it took ages to take all that off.

Tidied up and patched here and there. I've also used decals (for the first time in 20 years or something) and seem to have had reasonable success with them. They were a bit too white, so I coloured them in a little.

9. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Decals work well, and I love the fabric colour choices.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    I once sprayed a finished mini (a xmas gift in fact) with varnish only to realise a second in that it was in fact black primer!

loving the stripes mate. I think balancing that green tunic against the flesh might be tricky unless you go quite purple with the flesh?
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Spraypainting a finished miniature! <shudder>

Thanks for the comments on the cloth - I was intimidated by the very idea of painting the stripes, but I think I did okay and got something out of it.

I changed the flesh a little with a dark terracotta shade - sort of a purple brown I guess it looked - which made the flesh look better. A couple washes happened to tie things together a little. A bit more brighter red and the armour.

Comment and criticism particularly welcome at this point, before I plow on and do the rest. Looking at these photos there's a little more tidying up I need to do here and there.

13. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Looking good! The definition between the different areas and textures really helps. Only comment I'd make is that the claws and teeth are far too clean.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

15. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast