Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Kingdom Death Chosen

Kingdom Death Chosen

If you haven't been following gaming news lately, the Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 Kickstarter has just passed up Exploding Kittens </a> as the most funded game on Kickstarter (including video games).

That seems a bit strange and surreal to me. Before the 1.5 Kickstarter launched, I'd have laughed at the idea that it could get that big. I figured that it would pass up its previous kickstarter, at most double it (ending about where the Dark Souls Board Game ended). It just seems really strange that such a uniqe game set in a bizarre world with such strange and grotesque creatures would have wide enough appeal to be the top game on Kickstarter.

So I figure I'd take this chance to post up a Kingdom Death mini that I painted. This is a resin mini that hasn't been added to the game yet (he'd make a good nemesis encounter). I was asked to base my paintjob on one that I had previously done of the same character.

So here he is in all of his Adonis glory, the Chosen. I've also posted him to CMON (the same pic) if you care to vote.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: DeafNala,jkn,vegascat
    Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely Amazing! The OSL is stunning.
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Nicely painted as always.

I spotted the $9M+ kingdom death 1.5 kickstarter. Still too pricey for me however nice the gameplay or miniatures might be. And there is separate postage for each of the 4 or so delivery waves.

I thought one of the reasons for the price was the boutique and exclusivity of it. With just short of 17k backers, that much money up front and a final delivery date of late 2020 (though I notice some parts are sooner - this year), when do the economies of scale kick in? I guess for some things expense is part of the desirable element.

Reading that back I sound like a grumpy old git (which I am I guess), but I was aiming for more astonishment or something similar =]

5. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: jkn,NeatPete
    - Economy scales can't kick in during a Kickstarter- since they would be setting the price beforehand (ish). The prices are all quite high- although a friend of mine pointed out that if you got in on the "All In" pledge from the start, you're paying about $5 per mini (some of them are on 135mm bases).

It is all made in HIPS plastic- I believe it is the same stuff that Wyrd uses for Malifaux (they're going PVC with their new Other Side game- because the money makes more sense that way).

I'll grant you astonishment. I followed the first KS and its updates, and I couldn't help but think "WTF is this guy doing?" The body horror elements alienate a lot of folks, the pinups (although not game pieces) alienate a lot as well. He kept adding more content, even though he was already stupidly late. He switched from PVC to HIPS plastic, and the went from "a wee bit pricey" to "$400 core box."

He lost money on his first kickstarter, and it looked to me like he would never sell another copy. Then I played the game, and discovered that I needed to get my own copy (as well as playing with two friends who own copies).

To be 100% honest, I think Kingdom Death: Monster is the best designed game I have ever played, and it has enough content to keep me playing it almost every week (often several times a week) since the first KS delivered. It is really that good.

I didn't expect KS to reward the quality so much as it has, but I think it is all earned.

Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to get the Gambler's box in the latest KS, but didn't have the cash at the time. For me, someone who doesn't play the game, it seemed the best deal to get models that look like fun to paint. I can't afford the rest of the KS, its just too expensive for me. I'm sure it works out to a great price per model, but its too much up front for me. i do love most of the models though and would like to give the game a try one day.
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Yeah- the cost of getting everything all at once is way over my budget. I honestly don't find that I mind paying full price for them later, though. I'll need to space it out a bit. I mean, I'm sure I'll want everything eventually, you know?

Right now, I'm in for about as much as I tend to go with for a Kickstarter game I already know I like. Thankfully, there aren't loads of exclusives.

9. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat