Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John's WIP thread

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries

John's WIP thread

Over the new year weekend my wife and I set up my painting area. It hasn't been up for over 2 years and was in another room. Yes - it's clean - it won't be for long. (In fact, it's not this clean already.)

Here's the final result:

Here it is before my wife painted the acoustic panels (we got them from a law office a while back when building my music studio - in the music studio they are recovered in fabric - downstairs we're just painting them.)

Close up of some older AD&D boxes and newer Ral Partha and Infinity.

A whole lot of paints that need some serious shaking due to a couple years of separation.

Finally - the cabinet underneath. It's from Lowes here in the US. Works great for the cheap countertop we put on top of it.

So now I'm all setup - and ready. I picked out what I plan to paint first. You'll see those as I come along in this thread.

Thanks for putting up with me not painting for a few years - now you can put up with me painting badly. :-)

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Overly obsessed with: Perry Samurai, Red Box Games Dwarves, Ral Partha, and Dragons.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Donald Johansson,nerodine
    Wow, that's one seriously well set up painting area.

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    My wife is the queen of organization. We lived in a 720 square foot house for 23 years or so - so every inch of space mattered. When we moved to northern Indiana - we were able to get a larger house - so things we care about can take up more space. :-)

She's also great at building things - at seeing how things should be arranged. She did display (mannequins, built large displays from foamcore, artwork etc.) for a dept store for over a decade. We're both creative in different ways. She'll also see things that she thinks I need for minis - so she'll get them. She's planning to help create dioramas - assuming I can get paint on miniatures that look good enough for them. :-)
    Overly obsessed with: Perry Samurai, Red Box Games Dwarves, Ral Partha, and Dragons.

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Yes - I'm *this* new to painting... I just read how to make a wet palette. http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/a...etpalette.html

I knew I wanted one - just couldn't remember exactly how.

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    The only problem I forsee with that set up is potentially a lack of leg room (being a tall person with knackered knees it's something I look for ;) ) but other than that, it's a nice shiny set up :)
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

Welcome back to the painting! Nice hobby area there.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! jkn

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Spent a huge chunk of my weekend downstairs at my paint area getting organized between helping my wife with her tool area. Put up pegboard and organizers for screws and nails and such. Picked out the colors I want to use on my samurai - realized I'd been looking at the clothing wrong - where I thought it was more of a robe (clearly not the japanese term for it) - it was pants, a shirt, and shoulder thingy. So did more looking at samurai.

Sunday - had annoying asthma - took some meds and ended up jittery shaky most of the rest of the day - so repeated Saturday. (Note - I was already feeling 'off' before the meds and was Saturday as well...)

Good news! I enjoyed the heck out of everything I did. Basement is a ton more cleaned up - I realized I just don't have enough red paint colors. I learned more about samurai.

I found an awesome line of samurai at the odd scale of 40 mm... http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/28-40mm-samurai

While I wanted to paint - I didn't.

:-)

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    It still all counts as hobby time (I spent yesterday evening sticking tape over the gaps in bases!) - I find that if I spend a bit more time on prepping and planning the outcome feels a little more satisfying, though slapping paint on stuff and having it turn out great is awesome as well.
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

11. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! jkn

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    The skin looks real, doesn't it?

I'm kidding of course it doesn't.

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    And - after a bit more fiddling around I have some base coats down... pants are going to be grey. The shirt will be a more lighter blue and the shoulder piece thing a more brighter blue. The brighter blue didn't cover well so another coat or two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast