Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Extreme Object Source Lighting HOW??

Extreme Object Source Lighting HOW??

Dearest smart people.

I'd like to paint a character for one of my projects that represents a shadow demon of sorts.

The thing is, when he is in the 'light' he just looks like a regular person. It's only in the dark where he becomes etheral and scary.

I plan on having two versions of this character, one as a human, and one the shadow creature.

But, with the human, I'd like to paint him like he really has a bright light or spotlight on him. Like maybe he's standing in a dark corridor, and someone opens a door from a really bright room.

So, ideally his front half would be brightly lit, while his back side would be still in darkness. Really stark shadows and bright light.

I hope I'm conveying this idea well enough.

SO....to cut to the chase.

HOW do I paint that? Any tips, or techniques, or color suggestions, or even pictures of other minis similar to this would be greatly appreciated.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    OSL is actually more about shadows than the light.
    Ive done lots of OSL but a couple have the shadows more involved (mainly as they are dioramas and often a normal mini base doesnt lend to shadows.

Both of these were Iron Painter entries actually! The Denethor one is too extreme in terms of colour but gives a good idea of the contrast needed. The dragon is more subtle but all the shadows on there are painted on purposefully to create that sense of contrast

some tutorials I found really helpful are by Shawn RL over on cmon. quite in depth but really makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

3. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! supervike
    Oh man, I forgot about that Denethor you did. Awesome stuff!!

I'll check out Shawn's articles. He was quite the guru on that wasn't he? He's a very talented artist on canvas as well.

Thanks!!

Not quite really bright light, but a while back now I did a monochrome problem child alice from hasslefree (as seen in my wamp gallery, here: http://www.wampforum.com/gallery/ima...toid=3055&wat=)

Iirc, once primed I lit the miniature either from the window or from a lamp and took a photo to have as reference for painting.

If you know exactly where your light source is coming from, you'll probably be able to use something like airbrush zenithal priming.

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! supervike

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    A good to is prone the mini some a light from desired angle then take a pic. Go into gimp or photoshop or something and boost the contrast up. It ll help show where light should fall and its a. Handy reference point
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! supervike
    Great points above. Also, if you don't have GIMP or Photoshop, use your mobile phone. Take a photo when it's in-progress, flick the image to black and white mode, as that should help to demonstrate where more contrast is needed.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)