Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Heresy Guard Officer/Commissar

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries

Heresy Guard Officer/Commissar

A mini from Heresy which is a personal victory for me as I based it and started working on it about a year and a half ago. Love Heresy mini's as they're super fun to paint! Nothing really new here other then it's the same old colours I like to use but mostly from ScaleColour instead of my usual preference for Vallejo. I still love Vallejo and think it's got a much stronger pigment in it which is great, the Scale stuff seems a little lighter and very easy to do layer style blending. Which is how I roll. Anyway, there she be. Going on ebay in a little bit. Thanks for taking a look and any crits welcomed!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Lovely, the feel of the base is really great and the blending is first class. I guess one slight comment might be that everything is pretty shiny.. black shiny coat, shiny armour plates, maybe there could be a bit of texture variation somewhere?

Still ace though and i'm not exactly an example when it comes to making everything shiny!

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Y'know, I had the same thought when I saw the pics. I am not really much good at differentiating textures between say leather, cloth, and armor but if I had applied some scratches or some kind of basic weathering to the knee pads and torso armor I think that might have helped a little. Good crit I think! I'll do that on the next one for sure.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    I think the photo is twisting things a little, looks over exposed.
    It feels quite comic like how youve painted the gradients (not saying thats a bad thing) . I think you need a sharper extreme highlights at times, I am especially referring to the green plates but also other sections. Needs to be a brighter paler edge highlight.

The base feels like you couldnt be bothered after doing the mini.
    Love the shading on the baton metals.

Good work mate, critique is given as I know you love it. Its like model-massicism
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I Think the painting looks good but I agree with Darklord that some sharper extreme highlights could make it 'pop' a bit more.

I'm not sold on the rock he's standing on, I think it's a bit too big.

I really like the style you painted him in works well for the miniature.

I like it very much, but I agree about the additions of some scratches/scuffs.

I felt the rock kinda suited the pose, but it is a big area without too much going on for sure..