Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Kingdom Death Explore!

Thanks.

I've got a few others finished, I'll get pictures up soon.

For Thanksgiving, we finished off our Kingdom Death Monster campaign with an epic battle against the Watcher.

It was pretty glorious. We played with all the Chibi conversions of KDM minis I've made, and the survivors were all heroes from Super Dungeon Explore. Princess Ruby was pretty awesome with her bone darts and monster tooth necklace.

Now that I've admitted to finishing off more Kingdom Death Chibis than I've shown off, I figure I'd better get to posting them. Here's the Butcher:

And if you don't know what Kingdom Death: Monster is, you should probably have a look at the outstanding Kickstarter that they're running right now. The fact that it got to 3.5 million overnight is not overstating the quality of the game- it is fantastic on pretty much every level- brilliant minis, fantastic rules set, terrific art, crazy loads of fun.

3. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    I think this would have to be one of my favourite pieces by you. So small, but crammed with detail.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

Here is the Kingsman Nemesis:

And here is the Messenger of Humanity. The role of this mini in the game is a little odd. He was part of a set of scenarios that Adam Poots decided weren't working after a beta run. During the 1.5 Kickstarter, one of the promises made is that new rules will be made for all of the messengers.

Until then, he's being used to represent a survivor.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    great as ever mate. so much fun
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

There's no doubt that the Phoenix is the great centerpiece of the core Kingdom Death board game. It is a massive, twisted and brilliantly detailed mini.

For my own set, I've decided to follow Super Dungeon Explore logic- as the creatures get larger, they also become less chibi. This follows the way that old videogames would work (good examples are Final Fantasy or Pokemon- proportions become less chibi as the characters get larger).

Also, the mini already has a massive head in comparison to its body. Ultimately, I decided to simply change the face instead of rearranging the whole thing.

Inside you can see how the human face inside the mouth has been replaced with a chibi face. More subtly, the other eyes on the phoenix have been re-scupted to be a little larger.

8. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: nerodine,vegascat
    Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe that I hadn't seen this thread before now as I love the models for both games! I'm really loving your conversions! The painting is wonderful as well! I picked up the phoenix a while ago on Evilbay for a surprisingly cheap price, but have yet to paint mine. In any case, I hope you keep the awesome chibi models coming.
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Yeah, the first kickstarter had an extra Phoenix, Watcher and a bunch of Kingsmen that you really can't use for the game. So a lot of those extras ended up on ebay for cheaper than most evilbay kingdom death minis.

11. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    This is my ‘conversion’ of Kingdom Death’s monster “the Hand” in chibi form.

I put those quotation marks there because I'm not sure at what point I'm crossing a line between conversion and original sculpt. I started out with a Tanchyo Yajiri:

I cut and reposed the legs, hollowed out the head to sculpt the brain and crown, and sculpted the helmet over the remains of the head. I was planning to use those ears for the crown, but it didn't work out, so they got removed completely.

I also removed his arms and resculpted them completely. I sculpted the cape, and added the sword from another Kingdom Death mini.

I was planning on keeping the breastplate, but in the end I cut it out and re-sculpted the whole thing.

In the end, only a small portion of his pants and belt came from the original mini. I basically just had an elaborate armature underneath there.

I entered him into Reapercon's Open competition, and he got a gold medal.

13. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! DeafNala

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    fantastic work mate. the original sculpt is pretty sweet too. Is it plastic?
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast