Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Miniatures: Retro Chic or obsolete?

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries

Old Miniatures: Retro Chic or obsolete?

So how do you feel about old sculpts. Do you look at them with fondness, enjoy painting them as they are full of character or do you see them like computers, good for a couple of years but they become outdated and worthy of the rubbish heap?
    Last edited by Darklord; 23-08-2016 at 09:48 AM.
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

It depends for me. I'm quite fond of the old GW stuff, probably a combination of nostalgia, the somewhat comical style many of the have and the biggest one, the historical aspect.

I've spend so many years in this hobby and have a huge interest in it. So the history is very interesting to me.

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Same as Nils above. Some old stuff I like for Nostalgia reasons, some I just think are genuinely better then the current product. I have yet to find a plastic multi part mini that's been 3D sculpted that I just really love. Space Hulk stuff would be an exception now that I think on it...

Mostly I think mini's are light years ahead vs. 2 years ago.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    I guess its a bit like cars. Newer cars generally run better or have better features but often lack the character of older hand designed and built ones. Plus I guess theres the nostalgia aspect. We can all remember back to some of the first minis we painted or saw. The classic Nagash or a chaos dwarf.

I also think older sculpts are a bit less daunting than the newer ones, less detail and angles to worry about for the painter.

Technology wise the modern one are on another level

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    I also think older sculpts are a bit less daunting than the newer ones, less detail and angles to worry about for the painter.
    Agreed with this, new sculpts are packed with wonderful detail - although the reason I tend go back to older sculpts is for a nice balance of character and price which isn't as easy to find now.

Picked up a box of Space Ork Raiders for 15-20 as they're all cracking figures (it also brought a warm nostalgic glow) and happy to report they're as fun as I remember the first time around.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

Idunno. I still prefer traditionally sculpted metal miniatures. Miniatures are becoming more and more a result of 3-d sculpting, and there are plenty that are amazing to me. But, it's becoming a bit like CGI in the movies for me. At first, the CGI was awesome and a boon to Sci-Fi and Fantasy films. But, it's developed a 'sameness' quality that I can't quite put my finger on. And that sameness quality seems lacking in soul somehow.

More and more mini lines with individual miniatures are disappearing in favor of 'complete games' with tons of generic sculpts and giant monsters.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety...

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Most experience I have with 3d sculpted mini's are the newer GW plastics. There's just something... off.. about the texture to the mini's. In particular the new plastic plaguebearer mini's are just way too smooth. It's just bald styrene. Vs. the older hand sculpted GW plastics like their Orc's or Space Marines it feels under the brush like there is something easier in the way paint is accepted and moved around on the surface. I dunno. Maybe it's just me. I would love a box of the raiders Nerodine picked up! Those were some fun mini's back in 'a day!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    yeah theres somethng organic about the older stuff, less angular features and the like which makes them feel more real. I agree about the smoothness too, it has its place of course for inorganic srufaces but things like flesh,cloth,etc benefit from that immeasurable roughness.

its like comparing a lego figure to a marble statue in terms of 'feel'

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRadom View Post
    Most experience I have with 3d sculpted mini's are the newer GW plastics. There's just something... off.. about the texture to the mini's.
    I agree with that very much, I can't really put my finger on it but something is a bit off, there are some I like but in general, nope.

I feel that, unlike old computers, old miniatures can still be played with.

While they had their drawbacks, I do love the character and humor in some older sculpts. Old Citadel figures still amuse me. And old Ral Partha figures remain exquisite tiny works of art.

I have seen some good modern computer-designed miniatures, but most of them seem a bit cold and motionless.
    Know your materials!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast