Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Hello from Los Angeles

Hello from Los Angeles

Hi everybody. I'm KaYo. I have already posted some stuff in the forums and you have given me valuable feedback that I appreciate a lot. I am starting slowly a miniature brand. I'm very green in the scene though and was hoping to get some insight from this community regarding its members. How did you guys got into painting? What do you enjoy most about it? What do you look for in a mini? What other sites you frequent besides this one? I want to know you guys more! that's all. Have a great day.

2. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Hi KaYo and welcome to the wampness.

As to your questions:

I got into painting back in about 1961/2 when I had some Airfix ACW OO/HO figures, moved on to their WW2 and then Napoleonics. When I started into metal miniatures it was for ACW and Napoleonics. Did that until about 1972 then drifted away from the hobby a bit. My kids discovered Warhammer in 1997 and I was back in the saddle - but with a vengeance.

Enjoyment? I find it very relaxing planning a colour scheme and then applying it - or at least trying to.

As to what I look for that's rather difficult. I guess it just has to look 'right' so that I part with my cash and then put in on the shelf or in a box until I remember it's there to be painted. I've moved away from GW stuff and now focus on the great variety of 'Boutique' miniatures which are available, not for gaming but just for the sheer enjoyment of it. Darksword, Kingdom Death, JoeK are favourites at the moment.

Other sites? There are some? Joking aside I've joined a few but usually discover that the word fun and enjoyment are frowned upon. They generally expect people to be aiming to be Golden Demon aspirants or to be painting for a living. So generally I hang out here among friends who don't mind if I paint using a roller and 6 inch brush - and if you've seen my gallery you'll understand.

So all in all I do it for fun, painting what pleases me - and it's been that way for 50 years. At the moment I've just started painting some figures for a diorama for the Battle of Northampton, Wars of the Roses 1460.
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Thank you Waghorn41 for your insights. I didn't know about JoeK. I just googles it and saw some amazing stuff! Will check your gallery as I'm very curious about what can a 6 inch brush do ;)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    belated hello mate.
    All sorts of stuff here to enjoy, everything from gaming minis to large scale busts.
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate