Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carthaginian Carnage - 4 Way Hannibal Challenge

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries

Carthaginian Carnage - 4 Way Hannibal Challenge

The Background

With every release they put out, Purgatory launch a painting competition. As their latest release in April was a dual release of Bobby B and Hannibal, the next painting competition is an open comp, that can have any Purgatory miniature entered into it. You can find out more about it on their Facebook page.

The Challenge

I've entered all 3 of Purgatory's contests so far, so decided it was time to bring in some new blood. Nerodine picked up both of Purgatory's new releases at Salute, so I challenged him to a duel. As the challenged, he was given the choice of which mini we'd be painting and after some deliberation, he selected Hannibal:

To increase the fun, I mentioned the challenge to Gary from Purgatory and Normski, who have both accepted.

Dates, Names and Important Stuff

The challenge will run from now, until 8th July, which is also the length of time the Purgatory contest will run. Hopefully we will all finish by then and if we do, that will be 3 entries into the Purgatory contest (thanks to Gary not being allowed to enter his own contest).

After 8th July, there will be some form of voting that we haven't decided on yet.

Entrants:
    Brambleten
    nerodine
    Normski
    Bertnernie

Let the carnage begin!
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

2. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Quite excited about this challenge. While the original St Peter sculpt didn't excite me for Purgatory range, their releases since then have been great - and it's only up close you realise how finely detailed and wee the figures are.

Already done the test assembly to start thinking about how to paint him up, and can confirm his miniature elephant* is adorable.

One small frustration encountered - they came with great base inserts but no base to drop them into, and they're fractionally too large for the ones I do have. So there'll be a sanding session just to bring the diameter in a little on both Hannibal's 40mm and Bobby B's 25mm.

Commence with the carnage!

* Not a euphemism.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

4. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Merkeysa; 02-05-2016 at 02:59 PM.

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    @nerodine - I always keep a set of 30, 40 and 50mm lipped bases to hand - Element Games have them in boxes of 20-30 for 2-3 - just in case I need to change stuff up with the basing (such as replacing Knight Models crappy molded bases, or if no base comes with a model). The base inserts are indeed a little too big, but I was too lazy to sand them down so I just filled the base with milliput, stuck them on top and went round the gaps on the edge with plastic putty. Lots of resin bases have high overlap against the sides, so they don't really look any different.
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

Hey Guys....

I'm contestant number 3... aka Purgatory... ;)

Nerodine, thanks for the comments on Peter. I think half of my battle is picture quality. I need ours to be better and we are going to fix that. When people at the show saw my painted Peter and the resin version it flew off the shelf and was the most popular at the show.

The bases thing is really annoying, we toyed with the idea at first and we ended not doing it in the end. Our fault. However the KS will have bases included and we will send free ones to people that have bought models without one with their next purchase.

If you want in on the play testing let me know and I'll add you to group.

I'm looking forward to painting this model and to let you know.

I'm going tweed up in this place!!!

Yay, he made it. This thread now accounts for 50% of Mr Purgatory's posts on the forums
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

33% now.....

Let's do this!

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    I think you want the bigger bit of the fraction...

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    How is everyone doing?

Hannibal finally made it to my priming pile this evening, as soon as Red Hood is done he is getting started.

13. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    less chatting more painting!
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast