Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Knight Models Batmobile - Looking for a bit of painty discussion

Knight Models Batmobile - Looking for a bit of painty discussion

Hi,

At Salute this year I bought one of these:

It's an expensive piece and I'm always paranoid about screwing nice castings up and I've been giving some thought as to how to approach it. Clearly a Batmobile ought to be predominately black, but equally just loading up the airbrush with matt black letting rip is going to result in a dull (in both senses of the word) and unsatisfying finish. Best guess so far is to go with the black, then try some light highlights of blue/grey put in the the airbrush, followed by lining in with black. All that said, I'd be very happy to hear any suggested schemes from those more adept and more talented than I. Thanks in advance for any comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I'd browse some batmobile 2d images from the comics. They'll be nice and obvious with what kind of colours they use to highlight the black. For some inspiration anyway.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Unfortunately, most comics just have it blue, with a bit of black shading. It works for comics...

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    There has to be an article written somewhere on a plastic model building site about painting a stealth fighter. Maybe that'll help?
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Have you started this yet? How is the actual casting? I have been tempted by this for some time. But, I'd like to hear some opinions.

I haven't. Too many projects and a lack of inspiration.

It's a very nice, clean, casting if that helps. Instructions for some of the smaller parts would help, tbh.

7. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! supervike

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    If you want to paint it black, how about not actually painting it black? The one in the photo appears to be a very dark green. Black is never black in real life, it always reflects something but because your brain tells you it's supposed to be black, that's the colour it appears to be.

A good way to approach it is to find a photo of the real model from the film or something. Then get your paintshop programme and choose a pixel with the eyedropper. Then fill an area of a new image with that colour and I bet you it won't be black. You can then use colours from various parts of the photo as reference for painting the model.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    my mehtod for painting it would be take black and add in some hawk turquoise or similar, nt tons but enough to take it down from being black.

Use this as your midtone. From there I would highlight up using a space wolves grey (almost pure for the extreme highlights) . Then apply black washes to suit.

That would give you a colder black, almost shiney and its what I use for pvc,latex,etc. If you want a more browner black ( like I use for black cloth) then you can add a touch of brown in there instead of the space wolves grey.
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

11. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! supervike
    Thanks Darklord....I just bought myself one of these beauties, and will refer back to this when I finally get around to painting it (est May of 2032)