Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Painter 2016

Iron Painter 2016

It's back again...

The Iron Painter is a multi-round online painting contest conducted by Wyrd Miniatures. It is a long, grueling competition where painters will be tasked with continuously producing a series of painted models within tight timelines. It is not a competition for the faint of heart (or brush).This marks another year of Iron Painter, and this year is seeing some contest changes in order to better accommodate its growing participation and challenges. Just like anything, there are always growing pains, and this year we’ve taken a number of steps in order to ensure that this is the best Iron Painter yet, while still holding on to what makes Iron Painter special.
    If you think you have what it takes to paint until your fingers bleed (OK, we don’t want your fingers to bleed, but a little bit of a red stain from painting could be appropriate), then you should sign up for this competition. The full rules are detailed below, please read them carefully.
    Keep in mind that this contest is designed for painters (and non-painters) to have fun. Although each round will have a winner, Iron Painter is as much about finishing every round as it is winning. It’s a chance for you to get motivated and paint your minis!

In order to sign up for this painting contest, you must post in this thread saying “I’m in!” by March 4th. This will add your name to the list of participants, which we will then use to determine the Round’s pairings. Please use the words “I’m in” so that it’s very clear you intend to sign up. Your name will be listed in the post below if you've signed up.
    Please do not sign up for this contest unless you intend to follow through. Each Round of the competition will match painters against each other, and we want to limit the number of drop-outs.

Rounds
    Each Round of the Iron Painter will last 2 weeks. During this time, each contestant will prepare and paint a new miniature. You may not use any miniature that you’ve already begun any work on (including assembly or priming). That miniature may be produced by any company, and it must be uploaded to the appropriate location by the deadline.
    Every Round will be announced with its own thread on Monday, which will detail all the information needed for that Round: the end date, theme, and pairings. The start date will always be the time of the post announcing the Round.
    There will be 5 rounds in the Iron Painter. At the end of each Round, the results will be posted in the original thread that began that Round on the Friday after the Round ends.
    The First Round of Iron Painter will be a free for all, with painters competing to achieve the top scores. All other Rounds after the first will be head to head battles between painters to see who has the best score of the two, with the winner moving on.

Winning
    Every entry in the competition will have 3 Judges who will assign points to the work. The miniatures will be judged on 3 criteria: Theme, Technical Skill, and Aesthetic.

• Theme (0 to 5 points) – Does the submission meet the current Round’s theme? How closely does it match that theme?
    • Technical Skill (0 to 5 points) – What is the overall quality of the painting? What is the difficulty of the painting?
    • Aesthetic (0 to 10 points) – How does the mini look, overall?

The total points for each miniature will be compiled and used to determine the Round’s outcome. The judging, including the individual scores, will be anonymous, but each submission’s final score will be posted publicly.
    For the First Round of the contest, contestants will be placed into one of three Tiers based on their total score for the Round:

• Gold Tier – The top 16 scoring painters
    • Silver Tier – The next 16 highest scoring painters
    • Bronze Tier – All remaining painters who completed an entry

For all other Rounds of the contest, contestants will be matched up head to head against another painter. The entry which scores the highest is the winner.
    If your entry does not win the Round, you will be matched up against someone in a lower Tier during the next Round. If you do not win and you were competing in the Bronze Tier, you are eliminated from the competition.
    The winners of each Tier at the end of Round Five get a prize, as shown below.

Prizes
    There will be prizes awarded for the Iron Painter:

• Gold Tier Winner – $500 cash (payable by check) and a goodie bag of miniatures, to be determined by Wyrd at the conclusion of the contest.
    • Gold Tier Runner Up – $250 cash (payable by check) and a goodie bag of miniatures, to be determined by Wyrd at the conclusion of the contest, to whoever lost Round Five in the Gold Tier.
    • Silver Tier Winner – $100 cash (payable by check) or $200 store credit. There will be three Silver Tier Winners at the end of the contest.
    • Bronze Tier Winner – $50 store credit. The number of Bronze Tier Winners will be determined by the number of participants in the Bronze Tier during Round Five.
    • I Survived! – $50 store credit. Any participant who goes through every Round without a DNF (see below) will be entered in a raffle. Five will be chosen to receive this prize.
    • Best of Wyrd - $100 store credit. Whichever entry had the highest overall score and included a Wyrd miniature will win this prize.

All prizes will be given out at the end of the competition. US based participants may be required to fill out a 1099 tax form.

Other
    Below are some additional rules and clarifications.
    Well, That’s Wyrd…
    Submissions for the Iron Painter do not need to be Wyrd products.
    Did Not Finish (DNF)
    Some participants will not finish their painting in time. It happens! It’s a tough competition. Anyone who does not finish automatically loses their Round and is eliminated from the competition (not just dropped down a Tier).
    If you are choosing to drop out, please attempt to post this after the current Round’s submissions are due but before the next Round begins. This allows time for the pairings to be set accordingly. Please do not announce you are dropping out in the middle of a Round.
    Easy Way Out
    Any submission that is up against a DNF may be disqualified if it gets a total score of less than 12 points. This counts as a loss. This is to stop people who see that their opponent will be a DNF from taking the easy way out and submitting a “meh” piece of work.
    This is a Competition!
    If there are multiple DNFs in a Round, their opponents who did finish will be randomly matched up against each other. Iron Painter is a competition and if your opponent couldn’t handle the pressure, we’re going to go ahead and get you another one.
    It is possible that this will still result in someone without an opponent, in which case that participant will automatically win (assuming they don’t meet the Easy Way Out restriction).
    Continued Entries
    Any participant that is eliminated may continue submitting entries, and in fact they are encouraged to do so! They will be eligible to enter the “I Survived!” raffle if they continue to submit entries for every Round.
    Cheat Fate
    If there are an odd number of participants in a Round, the highest scoring non-winning entry from the previous Round will be able to Cheat Fate. This means they will progress to the next Round regardless of their loss.
    Ties
    In the case of any ties, a fourth judge will be asked to step in and choose the top work among those tied, but no score will be assessed.
    Instead of Kisses, We Get Kicked
    The Iron Painter does not support, encourage, or tolerate smack talk. Keep your comments positive or keep them to yourself.

The Judges
    Here are your Judges (who are not eligible to win any of the above):

• Jessica Rich: former Iron Painter Winner as well as many other painting awards
    • Matt DiPietro: highest ranked North American painter on Putty & Paint and multiple painting award winner
    • Shane Rozzell: editor of Figure Painter Magazine
    • Elizabeth Beckley (4th Judge): multiple Crystal Brush winner
    • Curtis Shoemake (alternate judge, if all else fails): former Iron Painter winner as well as Wyrd employee

The Host
    Your host will be Curtis, aka Omnicarbivore, who will announce the rounds and handle the logistics. It’s a big job, and he’s got moderator powers, so be nice!

The Schedule
    This is the schedule, assuming that the competition goes the full possible 5 Rounds. It is possible that there will be some minor discrepancies during the event (bad things happen), so this should be considered a rough guideline, rather than anything that is set in stone.

• March 4 – Sign Up Ends
    • March 14 – Round 1 Announced & Begins
    • March 28 – Round 1 Ends
    • April 1 – Round 1 Results
    • April 4 – Round 2 Announced & Begins
    • April 18 – Round 2 Ends
    • April 22 – Round 2 Results
    • April 25 – Round 3 Announced & Begins
    • May 9 – Round 3 Ends
    • May 13 – Round 3 Results
    • May 16 – Round 4 Announced & Begins
    • May 30 – Round 4 Ends
    • June 3 – Round 4 Results
    • June 6 – Round 5 Announced & Begins
    • June 20 – Round 5 Ends
    • June 24 – Round 5 Results

Please allow some delay after the competition’s end for the distribution of prizes.
    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Chief Cabana
    Instead of Kisses, We Get Kicked
    The Iron Painter does not support, encourage, or tolerate smack talk. Keep your comments positive or keep them to yourself.

This is a joke right? RIGHT? The IP with no smack talk is no IP in my opinion!

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    No smack talk? SCrew that!!

Would be all over this but right when the KS is so have to give it a miss.
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

last time there were some sore losers so Wyrd went for this move... not thrilled with it either, but allowing smack talk on internet, tends to bring out idiots in droves
    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    If it was two months per round instead of two weeks I might have a chance to finish stuff. As it is, there's no chance of me finishing anything to a standard I'd be happy with.
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Guess I'd better head over and sign up - IP wouldn't be the same without wag and his Bloodbowl Orcs
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

7. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Demonn
    looking forward to it!

Me on Putty&Paint

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waghorn41 View Post
    Guess I'd better head over and sign up - IP wouldn't be the same without wag and his Bloodbowl Orcs
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I always wondered what it would be like as a contestant....

but, there is no way I could keep up that schedule!

Good luck.
    Last edited by supervike; 24-02-2016 at 09:16 PM.

11. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Demonn
    sorry to hear that... would be fun to compete against more friendly folks...

Me on Putty&Paint

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast