Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Imperial Assault

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries

Imperial Assault

Well, the movie is out, the videao game kinda sucks, how about the board game?

Here are my inititial impressions after playing it for out 10hours this weekend. Please feel free to ad your thoughts as well.I generally like FFG games so I was excited when I got it for Xmas.

It's a big game. I say that as there are many mechanics and layers. The roll to hit has three mechanics in it alone: Range, damage, Surges.

I like that action is pretty good. Back and forth, lots of damage, lots of heals. Decisions need to be made. There aren't too many turns where you "Have to do X"

Couple things I don't like is that heros are damage sponges. They just run through getting shot all the time. You have to shoot the wookie ~7-8 times to wound it, then another 7-8 times to kill it. While I think this balanced, I think it lacks realism. Maybe I'm expecting too much?
    So many rules. It took us a weekend of trial and error to figure it out. There are three rule books. 4 if you count skirmish.

Had a blast playing some of the first missions and learning how to play. Looking foreward to getting deeper into the game. I'm also painting the minis:)

I want it solely for the minis!

How are they? Are they nice, or just plastic throwaways?

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    The minis aren't great, but you know, Star Wars! Id say they are like a reaper bones. Pretty soft features. I know you can appreciate a mediocre sculpt if you like the character or theme so I doubt you'll be too disappointed. The AT-ST is rather out or scale(too small).
    I'm just base coating and shading with washes. Adding sand to bases and such. Not wanting to spend a lot of time on them but painted minis add so much to the game for me. Plus I want them painted up as option for Hollywood Heros.
    Scherdy did some great Pj on them in his Wip thread so it possible to make them look better.

"You rebel scum"

(actual rebel scum)

Had fun with the lenses on the probe droids. Really like the green one, looks totally legit in person. Also painted these each a boltgun color and then washed them with three different washes to see the result. Even though they are kinda slop jobs, I still like trying to learn something in the
    process.

and while I'm on the subject...

Last edited by NeatPete; 21-01-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    they look like they are ok from a distance but dont pass scrutiny up close
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I have Boba and the C3P0/R2D2 pack and they aren't too bad. The details are quite crisp and the pvc is more harder compared to the Reaper model I have.

I can't remember which painter, but he painted up Boba and C3PO and R2D2 and looks pretty awesome. Not saying I was going to replicate that. Though the game is meant to be quite good as well.

Enlightened Wamp warhammergrimace's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm tempted to get the game....a Star Wars mini game would be fun
    Awards:
    Blog Award
    http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
    http://irregular-magazine.com
    http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
    http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."