Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Varnish woes

Varnish woes

I like my gaming miniatures to have an absolutely dead matte finish. Over the (many) years I've been painting I had off occasions when a matte varnish has dried shiny and I've never managed to recover the figure to a true matte. I've just had a batch of miniatures I'd sealed with Humbrol brush-on matte dry with a real high gloss finish, despite stirring for ages and not using a heavy coat. Anyone any suggestions for attempting to recover these? Please?!

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Testors dullcote in the spray form is the only varnish I use. It's the best for sure. I have no input about a brush on, are you stuck on brushing varnishes vs. spray?
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

I'm fine with sprays. I'd gone bback to brush-on after a decidedly satin finish from a Vallejo spray. My concern now is that I have figures I cannot readily replace which now have a high gloss finish. I've never been able to uccessfully recover to a true matte from that kind of varnish screw-up.

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about recovering these mini's. I used to do a glosscote followed by a dullcote for extra protection on gaming mini's and they we're OK. Maybe try the spray over the brush stuff? You've got nothing to lose now!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    testots dullcote for me. best matt finish and always performs. You can try resprayed more matt varnish over the dodgy ones, it sometimes brings them back ok.
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I used to use the Humbrol matt varnish but i found that if the room temperature is too warm it doesnt set properly and if its too cold it frosts and goes white in places thats why I swapped to Testors too.

However, if all your temperatures were fine then your varnish has seperated and no matter how much you mix it it wont work properly, i have thrown mine out as i just couldnt use it fast enough before it went off.. i had sticky miniatures for ages, i kept them at room temperature for a while and thenput a coat of gloss varnish on them and then once set i went over them with testors..

the only other way would be to buy a new bottle of the matt varnish and give them another coat allowing the top coat to absorb the first coat.. and let them cure at room temp..

i dont know any other way without stripping them and repainting but thats very last measures...

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    I exclusively use testers dull coat as well. 3-4 really thin coats. And yeah, you might as well try to hit the glossy minis with some dull coat and see if there's hope.