Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legends of the Old West

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries

Legends of the Old West

Been playing this lately. Got one of my board gaming buddies who's never played a miniature game to play and he loved it!I think the campaign rules and posse development really hook you into playing again.

I need to get my buildings finished and get some dudes on horses, but otherwise I'm set. Also toying with the idea of getting some native American minis for something a bit different.

Had a 2 x 2 battle yesterday Cowboys and Outlaws vs. Two lawman posses. Jailbreak and bank robbery co-scenarios. Outlaws an Cowboys cleaned up!

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    LotOW is a fantastic game and it proved that GW's Lord of the Rings rules really do work. It's just a shame they handed Warhammer Historical over to Forgeworld to be quietly swept under the carpet

If you want to try something along similar lines with the stuff you've already got, have a look at Dead Man's Hand from Great Escape. Each game is made up of several acts like a mini campaign. It really captures the spaghetti Western theme.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    I was actually just checking that game out while looking for some Indians. Was wondering about it, and may check it out. The story aspect really adds to the experience.

Ended picking up this box for some alternative posse.

Now I just need the out of print book with the rules :/ may send one of the players on a download mission.

We also had the movie "Once upon a time in the west" on for some eye candy when it wasn't your turn. (Netflix instant) Cool flick.

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    I've got a hard copy of Blood on the Plains if you don't have any luck. I'll quite happily scan you bits of it.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

5. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! NeatPete

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Oh man, my buddies are thinking of getting back into this. \we played around 6 or 7 years ago, I might come at ya Undave for the scanned expansion if that's cool. The lotr system worked really well!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Goat Herder
    USA, Metropolitan Lexington, Kentucky, in a tree house sans Pooh
    Legends of the Old West is a monthly event at my club. Twice a year we campaign. Excellent game.

Best,
    arc

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Finally cleared two big projects off the table! This should allow me to clean up a bit and move onto some other projects.

first up is my Native American posse

and also finished up some mounted troops. These seemed to take forever as you have to paint the horse as well, but glad to be finished.

all that I have left to do for this game is finish off a few buildings with signs and maybe some interior furniture and back doors.

yeehaw!!

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Made some "loot counters". Coin piles and chest are hurst art. Gold bars are plastic sprue cut to shape, not sure where the bags are from.

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, they are who I got all my Wild West minis from! They make some nice stuff, although the resin they use is sort of meh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast