Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Rainbow Brush Contest

Well mine didnt even get started.. my idea was a female mini in a raindow dress at the counter of a store with some kind of huge brute behind her with the capruon refuse to serve me I dare you ... lol but hey i was gallavanting around the world so not done it lol

Ha! I'm not a total lurker ... I have posted mini pics to the gallery before and rated images in the gallery. But I am not sure my images get seen. For example my contest entry and the last two minis I posted never seemed to show up on the "Latest Submissions" page (ditto Durf's great Aurora).

Anyway, I'm pleased to support the cause with this contest submission. Good luck to everyone!

I have a question actually. Is voting based on quality of painting or use of rainbow colour and theme in the mini?

I ask because while there are plenty of entries that are painted to the usual outstanding quality you'd expect on Wamp, many don't seem to have anything to do with the rainbow theme, at least to my eyes.

Might be I misinterpreted the original brief but I took it to mean making something very bright and full of colours.

Chief Cabana
    Unless the people running the contest want to step in, I guess that choice is left up to the individual voter. My feeling is you take it all into account. I tend to score initially on the overall quality of the entry, then adjust up if they've done a nice job with the theme and down if they haven't really followed it.

This is what the first post said were the rules:
    "The contest is open to anyone and the rules are simple. Paint a miniature (or diorama) representing all the colours of the rainbow."

So I take that to mean each entry should have all the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet) somewhere in the scene. There are some entries where this is clearly displayed, some where it looks like they have most of them, and some where it seems like half the colors are missing. The first case obviously works, on the second I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, and for the third I'm going to give them a lower score than I normally would if I was basing it only on the paint quality.

One could further alter the score based on how well or how creatively they made use of the rainbow colors. If one of the pieces really embodied the message of tolerance, acceptance, equality, etc then I would up it's score (though I don't see any pieces at the moment that do that).

Maybe we'll get some direction when they open up the voting. Otherwise I guess it's up to each person to decide what factors that want to use to rate the pieces.

Before people start voting, I just want to say my miniature is wearing blue, indigo, and violet knickers.

PS. I think it will be hard to control public voting.

Almost finished with my entry! Things are drying now. I have some more details to finish tomorrow, and then photograph. I hope I calculated correctly and the deadline is noon tomorrow (US Central).

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Demonn

Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    Unless the people running the contest want to step in, I guess that choice is left up to the individual voter. My feeling is you take it all into account. I tend to score initially on the overall quality of the entry, then adjust up if they've done a nice job with the theme and down if they haven't really followed it.
    I beg to differ. If it is a themed contest, one should follow a theme to be qualified at all. If a theme is "Paint a GW mini", then one should not enter a Reaper mini. If a theme is "represent all colours of the rainbow on your mini", one should have all colours of the rainbow used to enter. YMMV.
    That said, I'd like to thank WAMP again for motivation and kicking my ass to paint a mini. Going to upload it now :)

Chief Cabana
    Nameless, I agree. But, when you have a contest where the winners are based on a public vote, you're relying on everyone to enforce the theme with their votes. I hope most people will do that, but you can't control it. Your example of paint a GW mini is easier to enforce. For this, who's to say this person didn't add a bit of this color or that one and I'm just not seeing it? If it's close I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. And it's also reasonable to take into account how well or how creatively someone used the theme. So I factor that in as well as how good the overall painting is. But yes, if I feel like someone really didn't follow the theme then there's no way I'd put them in my top 3 no matter how well painted the piece is.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast