Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP it ... WIP it good

WIP it ... WIP it good

It's always daunting to start a new thread on an established forum, but what the heck ... welcome to my work in progress thread for stalled projects, and very occasionally finishing figures to a "eh, it'll do" standard.

Traditionally I've been more a painter than a gamer, but that's tilted the other way in the last couple of years as we formed a small gaming group and have started regular tabletop gaming sessions. Currently our miniature-heavy game of choice is Guild Ball. We're especially loving the skirmish format and how it can suddenly shift from a swift, tactical battle of wills to something more attritional with just one or two kicks of the ball.

However, as the only painter in the group, I'm on duty when a new set of figures comes along. So, we had to start somewhere and Fishermen were requested as a favourite of two players. For anyone unfamiliar with the game, the Fishermen look like this ...

Left to right: Angel, Salt (otter), Kraken, Shark, Greyscales, Jac and Siren. They don't come pre-painted or fully assembled, so you have a bit of work to do before they're looking as handsome as that. So here's a shot of where mine are ...

They're now primed and the above shows Kraken (from Salute), Salt (comatose and out of focus), Angel, Siren, Shark and original Kraken. I don't own Jac, so he's missing. Greyscales' leg is only freshly pinned and glued so he's not in the picture, and Salt's tail ... well, currently he's going to be built without it as punishment for being a total %!*$, frankly. There is a level of finesse to handling some of these components which isn't compatible with my lack of dexterity.

These sculpts are so fine, and have so much detail it's a little intimidating. I bought corks to temporarily pin and base all the figures while painting, but some models are that slim on the ankles that it would be a terrible trial to attempt this, and only original Kraken required it in the end. I won't do final assembly until as near to the end as possible to give me a fighting chance of getting a paintbrush in to some of the details.

With a little time off work this week, next up will be choosing the primary colour and getting the bases out the way.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,Shades
    Bases were quicker than expected to finish up.

I used base inserts from the Kickstarter campaign, and while I don't plan to use them for all the teams, they offer a quick way to base up the first team on the (slow, erratic) production line. Where paints are referenced, they're almost always Vallejo and either Game Color or Game Air unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Base colours were Earth, drybrushed with 50/50 Earth and Khaki, drybrush of Khaki, drybrush of white, repeat on the stone with Sombre Grey and Stonewall Grey, then everything washed with Army Builder Soft Ink to dampen down the chalky highlights.

The goal is painted in the primary colour I'd like to use for the clothes of the Fishermen - a 4:1 ratio of Scurf Green to Imperial Blue.

Some static grass applied with Gorilla glue, then that's us done for the moment. I'll probably add white lines added to remind you it's for a football pitch, mulling whether I could slip in a water effect on the base to tie them to the Fishermen theme just a little more.

Salt now has his tail attached, as I calmed down sufficiently to jerry-rig a harness to have it told the tail in position long enough to set. I took the plunge and drilled pinning holes on all figures, and unfortunately damaged Siren's right foot (boo!) when doing this, but once in position it won't be noticable. Everything else survived unscathed which feels like a minor victory! Then, a very quick undercoat on the parts that will be touching the base as I need to secure them to the bases to manipulate them better.

There's a test square base with two ways to paint white lines. One with paint thinned as normal (top left), and the other with paint straight out the pot (bottom right). Can't decide which I prefer - but possibly edging toward the unthinned paint as it's a little uneven, and that feels more in keeping. Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions for a better way to paint those lines then I'm all ears!

4. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,vegascat

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    looks great so far, be nice to see these progress.

Definately the unthinned paint
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Chief Cabana
    Very effective basing, and I'm looking forward to the painted Fishermen.
    I'd go for unthinned paint as well. Perhaps try to keep the line a little finer? That should make it look more defined as a line (i.e. long and narrow) on the limited space you have on the bases, I'd think.
    Things I'm working on: Sculpting, Puppet Wars Unstitched, Sapo

Nice, that stone on the bases really looks right - hard to get a natural looking stone I find, but you nailed it!

im still eagerly awaiting my GB stuff, it will be good to see what you do with them.

edit: and I'd agree with the unthinned paint crowd
    Last edited by Mako; 28-05-2015 at 07:35 AM.
    A model what I painted: My WIP thread
    The 2016 Two Out, One In grey mountain reduction program - 10 painted/sold, 15 bought/received
    Previous years: 2015 - 29/36

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Bases are looking good!

I'd say you could get away with either line design - the watered down one that looks like a thicker coat looks like it could be a well marked edge of the pitch/out of bounds, while the straight from the pot looks like a more hastily painted "oh damn, there's going to be a match here in an hour and we haven't put the markings down yet" sort of thing. The latter does keep the definition of the grass though, so I'd be tempted to go with that.
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

Thanks folks! I think you've confirmed my suspicion about the lines.

Jona, yes to a thinner brush as the tests did look far too wide. There'll be an update tomorrow.

Brambleten, you've nailed the idea I was aiming for. While the game fluff has it in proper venues, I imagined the erm, robust nature of the game means the lines would require regular repainting.

Mako, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens too ;) From looking over your thread, I'll be keeping an eye on how your Kraken progresses. Did you pick up a few of the resin teams from the Kickstarter, or grab them after launch?

Minor setback on the figures, as one of my kids decided Salt and Siren looked better lying on their sides and unattached from the bases. Which is a shame, as I quite liked them painstakingly positioned, pinned and glued in place - but that's a lesson learned ... sellotape the children to a wall until the figures set and are safely locked away, or I should just remember to put them back in a box once I've finished ... whichever works.

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Yes,put the children back in the box!

i feel I may have missed out on a nice score that is guild ball. Looks like you are off to a great start. The rocks and flock look sweet. I've only painted white lines on flock once and I cut a slit in a piece of plastic and held it on the base and sprayed the line with an airbrush. I did have to go back and touch it up but it worked okay. Not sure if that would work on static grass though. As is i like the top left test.

Oh, I have everything coming, lol. I went insider level on the KS.

Given the nature of the game, they probably have to re-turf half of the pitch (and possibly rebuild a stand or two) after a match, so hastily painted lines works as a thing for me!
    A model what I painted: My WIP thread
    The 2016 Two Out, One In grey mountain reduction program - 10 painted/sold, 15 bought/received
    Previous years: 2015 - 29/36

"update tomorrow" he said on Friday ... hello Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by NeatPete View Post
    held it on the base and sprayed the line with an airbrush.
    I like this approach and do have a noobie's airbrush, but am comically unskilled. I may revisit this approach as it would be nice to have a little variation in how the lines appear i.e. neat and orderly for a precision team like the Engineers, or barely present and bloodstained for someone like the Butchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Oh, I have everything coming, lol. I went insider level on the KS.
    Excellent news. Now, start with a team other than the Fishermen so I can steal all your ideas for my next team selection, please

So, I have a flying update to start the month off with a little progress.

Kraken underway. Part of me is now regretting not upgrading to resin figures for the weight reduction alone, as this fellow is a serious chunk of metal. Primer had a 'mare in places (by "primer" I mean "me") but painting the basecoat of Bronzed Flesh seemed to level that out just fine. He does have an arm, but it will remain detached for a while longer.

Salt finished. Can't quite get a shot with the little fellow in full focus. Khaki base, some wet blending of White on his adorable little tummy, more Khaki and a thin brush to pull out some individual hairs. I didn't go with the white and grey dapple that the character card offered, and painted without bothering to look at a picture of a real otter, but it's a reasonable match - apart from the nose being a little too red rather than brown. His collar is in team colours, so at least something was right!

Ball finished. I'm oddly proud of this, as normally my attention span goes to pot for detail of this nature, but it turned out alright. Based with Beasty Brown, panels painted in Khaki then lots of thin Parasite Brown washes on the panels.

This week will see a little more work on Kraken, laying down basecoats on all the areas. And yes, I have chickened out in painting white lines to this point
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

13. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Brambleten

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast