Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: WIP it ... WIP it good

So. More WIP posts, because I've been a real slacker, and the holiday season means I'm able to write things down. Picked up Shadespire a month after release when the positive reviews kept coming in. It really is a lightweight game and nice to have in the collection for when you want to play something for 40 minutes without too much thinking.

Fresh from learning how to do NMM at Andy Wardle's weekend workshop (https://nerodine.blogspot.co.uk/2017...dy-wardle.html), I immediately decide I should be massively stupid and try to paint all four of the Orks with everything I've learned.

Colour palette is the same as my test piece from the workshop. Here's a shot of one basecoated and one with the mid-tone applied.

Same pairing again, but with the armour highlights starting to appear.

Getting closer to the desired effect ...

... but I realised a little more glazing was needed before coming back to undercoat the skin areas.

Skin basecoat goes on, and I was having a few wobbles about colour choices at this point - but we press on!

Here's the skin mostly completed, along with lightening the skin around the face. I started from Darren Latham's helpful tutorial (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbw6lj9Fgk1/) but didn't want to push up as bright as he did. It's a good demonstration that not everything needs to start with one colour and end upwith a lighter version of the same colour. Also a reminder that Darren's a talented git.

Confidence was growing a little, so I used that mojo and came back to the other orks to get their faces and skin up to the same standard. Eyes and teeth still need work, but happy with how the big lad's milky eye in the middle of the scar is looking.

I think the confidence to post a picture of this size for something that small is, for me, a step forward in how I view my progression.

Haven't touched these in over a week now, as I've been rearranging my geek pit (more on that in another post) but with time away I can see that my shadows on the skin need to be deeper to push up the difference from the pinker tones. Green or purple will be introduced as the shade as red would bring it too close to the armour colours.

Still need to come back and add more shadow to the armour, but that's deliberate as I need the skin finished first to determine how much verdigris is appropriate. Had forgotten how useful posting up WIP work is, and gives me an opportunity to think through my progress before carrying on.

The Orks are pretty much head to toe in armour and/or weaponry so this is taking longer than I thought but happy with the progress so far.
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

It's New Year's Eve, so here I am painting while time allows.

Back into the habit of posting my WIP work. For this figure, I'm trying to do Things That Are Different at the moment. You don't build muscles without stretching them. Painting is the same.

This was my first attempt at trying to create an iridescent effect on skin.

So on the right lines but not quite right. Okay, not everything can be a success first time but that's okay.

Back to the drawing board, and I've started with a lighter blue, defined everything better and started into the first highlights. Shadows will see other colours added to achieve the effect better. Same for the final highlights too.

Next up is reworking the leather. My original colour choice was far too light and adding shadow didn't help. He's old and weathered, so the coat should reflect that.

Much happier with this, and reading David Soper's article on old leather (https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.c...n-leather.html) has helped me think about colour choices and pushing up the contrast.

Next up will be the super-definitely-positively-probably the last highlight, then adding colour interest into the shadows with glazes.

3. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! jkn
    Happy New Year! Here's to a fantastic year of hobby.

Squeezing this in before the end of year. A figure completed way back in November has sat languishing on my desk, waiting to be photographed. This is the first time I've had the chance to do the honours with my new photo setup.

Picked this up as a freebie from Mantic's stand at Salute 2017. Lots of lovely detail in here, and was good fun to paint. It was one of my 90-minute challenge figures and I completed it inside of two episodes of The Punisher - so it was roughly on schedule.

Most things are pretty quick for the time limit, but I tried to add a little texture for the jeans and some writing on the cap. How people produce entire battle scenes (https://www.instagram.com/p/BVc-eA1B...-by=karolrudyk) is beyond my comprehension. I can barely scribble a few letters on a hat.

This is being donated to the Massive Voodoo zombie project (http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/...update-07.html), as I have no need for modern-day zombies in the collection - and MV do such wonderful work for the hobby community that being able to contribute anything back seems the least I can do. He's not based for this reason, as I spotted none of their other contributions have been either.

Looking good, the rework on the orc has real promise. Is it an arcworlde piece?
    And that zombie looks great for 90 minutes, Id barely have him basecoated in that time!
    A model what I painted: My WIP thread
    The 2018 Two Out, One In grey mountain reduction program - 2 painted/sold, 0 bought/received
    Previous years: 2017 - 11/96, 2016 - 20/162, 2015 - 29/36

Cheers! The zombie was primed before the 90 minutes started but then it was a case of just throwing paint at it. I benefited from it not having crazy levels of detail, just nicely done detail.

You're correct the ork is one of the Arcworlde pieces - it's the Bayourk Witchdokta. I've just finished him up, so proper pictures will be forthcoming by the weekend.

Happy Friday! Here's my completed Bayourk Witchdokta from Warploque's ArcWorlde range.

I should start by saying I love Warploque Alex's approach to building a brand new world, how he runs Kickstarters, and interacts with the community in general. But I haven't backed any of the projects or bought any of the figures in the Arcworlde because it was complicated by one huge point - I don't actually like most of his sculpts.

Everything's quite craggy, not the big clean surfaces I'm used to, and prefer - they have a rustic quality that didn't appeal to me. But, when he released the Bayourk models, the Witchdokta was a mandatory purchase as it's perfect for this approach - so I picked this up at Salute 2016 and then ... completely forgot about it.

So he had a few minor major changes in the last day and while he's painted in roughly similar leather colours to how my Shadespire Orruks are coming together, there's been a lot of change to the skin.

The mushrooms were the starting point and allowed me to think on how to convey the magical properties of this witch doctor. Then I watched a video on adding iridescence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhVmU8gfp1I) which pushed me to do a little more on the skin. Mine is a rougher take, but I like how it turned out - would be nice to try this on a larger, smoother surface to see what happens.

For me the sculpt lacked a focal point, as everything's craggy and runs in to the other pieces, and his left hand didn't have anything in there, so I added a bead with some OSL and swirly lines as an orb of power. Job done.

Still working on the photography, but a lot happier with this after some experimentation in the last few days.

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! jkn
    I like the experimental approach. Good stuff.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031