Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: wet palette Help

wet palette Help

ok I have read what their is on the blogs and so on out their and so Far I have come up with I should use it and it helps alot.

But I am not sure what to use it for. I have been using alot of glazes and on a wet palette it makes a world of a mess so my question is when, what and why should I use it. all I have been able to find is how to make them but no real why and when and when not.

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    I've found so far (now I know to change it up every so often to stop it going mouldy again) that you can use a wet palette for everything you would use a normal palette for (so that's the When).

Why? the moisture from the sponge keeps the paint on the paper from drying out as quickly, giving you days or weeks to work with a certain shade rather than minutes. Mix too much? Put the lid on and keep it for a while. Sure it might separate a little, but a quick mix will get it back to exactly how it was.

It's also handy for progressive layering, as you can just add to the mix already there rather than having to create fresh batches all the time.

Inks and glazes you have to be a little careful with, as they can run if you aren't paying attention. I've found that unless you deliberately shake it, the greaseproof paper tends to make the liquid want to stay in once place. If you can make a slight crease or indentation in the paper, that works even better.

When not to use it? probably when airbrushing. Not a lot of use for a wet palette there.
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

I've never had much luck in using one with glazes but I use them for everything else. I think the problem for me at least is that I tend to mix up to much glaze for it to stay in one place.

I use a wet palette for everything now. I have to be careful about putting too much water in it, and making sure I clean it out once in a while for mold prevention. If I add too much water, the baking parchment I use (Reynolds) will draw up more water overnight and leave me with puddles that are too diluted.

I can dilute my glazes down well enough, but I use a very small amount of paint so it doesn't go all over the place. I also let my wet brush do some of the diluting for me.

Generally I add a tiny bit of something anti-bacterial like a spritz of bathroom cleaner to the water. This is because I may not change it out for a long time, like weeks. If you don't let it sit so long, it may not be necessary to add anything.
    Serenity
    All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)