Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game has been saved

Game has been saved

After a presumably hard bossfight, our heroine is striking a pose...

Hi Wampees and Wampettes

Back in full-throttle mode, I have been hard at work painting and learning and learning and painting, and here is the latest installment in my collection of pretty objects.
    I honestly think it is my best and a milestone in my progression, feels like that at least, hopefully my combined prescriptions of Contrasten extra-strenght and fast acting wet-blendix are taking effect.

Hope you like her, feedback is the name of the game and votes are still cool too.
    Cheers and happy painting.

CMON Vote thing
    All the full size pictures here

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: spykeside,ub3r_n3rd,vegascat

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Very atmospheric, I like it. You certainly have your own style meaning even if your stuff didn't have your name on it I could tell it was yours. It reminds me of some fleshed out sketchwork maybe a little John Blanche-y.

There are some parts like the hip bones that could use some smoothing. Some pretty nifty colour choices!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Thanks for the feedback Scott, I agree there is some roughness I could not get everything sorted out by the end I guess some of it comes down to preparation too.
    I'm glad to see my touch doesn't get lost even in the realm of sci-fi which is new territory for me.

Jonh Blanche is one of these oooold-school Citadel painter right? Like 90s white dwarf? Well if you can put a name on it I take it as a compliment ;)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Ok matey lets have a look.

I like your colour choices, the paletter fits well for me, however the overall feel is a little dirty. Now I love a dirty chick but it does take the edge of things a bit and makes it hard for the eye to focus properly. Try and rely on washes a little less (Mike McVey doesnt use them at all!) and reset the midtone a little giving a bit more brightness to work from.

I like the glass on the base - great idea. On the base edges I would try and be a little neater if you can (make sure cut edges are straight, etc. It seems minor but it does get noticed (like when people paint base edges roughly!)

Good piece, just needs a little fettling to take it up a level, look forward to seeing your next piece
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love the feeling of this piece! I was imaging her respawning. The glass around her is a really cool touch. Her colors feel a bit muted, though I'm not experienced enough to say why, sorry. I went to your website and you have some really nice pieces there as well!
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Thanks for the input Darklord, can you clarify the bit about washes, I don't uses washes per say, maybe parts that look washed, or darklining that's a bit runny?

The base casing is actually a save from a bad 2am idea and bad planning, if I planned right Id have made it neater. It does matter, and it does bother me because that stands out as amateurish not to have this nice finish. But I am an amateur.
    Never been much of a planner, but it's exactly what I'm focusing on atm.

Surely next will be neater, as I settle with these new techniques Ive been learning.

Edit: Thanks Vegascat also, that feel is what I go for :)

Super Wamp
    DL says most of it really, the feel of the price is good, bold colours choices and neat touches here and there. For me the biggest improvement you could make is to make sure each part is its own, don't let the dark metals on her legs blend into the Orange of her clothing for example. That should be a really sharp line (the same can be said across the whole peice), my guess is that the brush is letting you down - what are you using?

Tks Mega it's cool that you found time to look at my stuff ( Im a bit of a fan of yours tbh.)
    I got new brushes with a nice point, the best I could find in the craftstore ( W&N Galleria, and artist loft (?)) and I did take the time to sort out the darklining.
    Im starting to think the mix I've been using en lieu of black as the darkest shade ( a 90% black/purple) dries glossy and looks gray but only noticed it on the pics. I got old paints that may be acting off. Anyhow the bleeding of color is a problem I didnt have before :/

Edit: I hope my answers don't sound like a bunch of excuses, I take all input seriously and this is troubleshooting. I know I will have to find neatness eventually if I want to 'make it' in the painting world, as for myself, I'd rather have it bold and gritty if messy than be super clean, but generic. So I make sure the stuff happens, then find time to make it presentable, with varying levels of success.

Edit of the edit: I had another close look, it's fainter IRL, but it's noticeable, so maybe also I just got stupid at the end of the session and rushed her to the finish, biasly-estimated the pictures, even though I told myself to not do that, again...

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    What I mean mate is it kind of has a faeel theres a layer of grime over it, sometimes folks get that when they overuse washes.

Black washing/shading will do that and part of improving is learning alternatives (purples washes on greenskin or gold, blue on metals,etc) Of course you can still use black (as I do!).

What colour primer do you use? Black primer leads to a duller finish and I like to use a grey
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I use Krylon matt varnish as primer actually, easier to find in my region, more forgiving in the winter and has enough grip for display purpose.
    I also tried using GW skull as a varnish, but that didnt go over so well.

Like I said I don't use washes, not the formula nor the technique, I guess something else is causing it, that might be in the mixes, I rarely use pure colors that I find too strong so I often break them with grey or brown.

Well, I thought I liked it, but it must suck quite a bit actually, if peeps that see it think I'm at learning not to shade with black with washes and that each part needs its own color. Been doing that for 9y (on and off) apparently still reads as a noob, Im the biggest letdown ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast