Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Companions of the Hall - A Diorama

The Companions of the Hall - A Diorama

After finishing my latest project, I needed to get cracking hard on my "Companions of the Hall" diorama. This is going to be the 5 Companions [Drizzt, Cattibrie, Bruenor, Wulfgar, Regis, and Guenhwyver (Drizzt's panther)] vs the Spider Queen (Lloth) and one of her Giant Spider riding henchmen. It's inspired by the D&D Forgotten Realms setting, specifically books by R.A. Salvatore. I know some people don't like this setting, but my brother is a huge fan and I'm a pretty big fan of Salvatore's work as well.

The scene I have in mind will be the Companions battling the Spider Queen and her servant, I'll be using a very large piece of wood and bark that I got from Thrym and his WoldStand store, very cool (link to his blog and how he did prepared the wood display piece with many pictures to show size).

I need to get this done before December 21st when he arrives at my house, so I'll be trying to work on it most days of the week between now and then. I've got most of them cleaned up and primed (or brown-liner slathered in the case of the Spider Queen).

First off the cast:

GOOD GUYS - YAY GO TEAM GO!

Drizzt - Dark Elf Ranger: DSM7421 (Male Dark Elf Warrior)
    Drizzt 1.jpg

Wulfgar - Massive Human Barbarian: DSM7429 (Barbarian with Warhammer)
    Wulfgar 1.jpg

Cattibrie - Human Female Fighter/Archer: DSM7431 (Female Ranger w/ Bow)
    Cattibrie 1.jpg

Bruenor - Dwarf King and Fighter: Reaper (Gerrin Goblinkicker SKU#03541) - I've already chopped off one of his helm horns (as Bruenor has) and filed off the spike on his shield (which will get a foaming mug on it in its place)
    Bruenor 1.jpg

Guenhwyver - Massive Black Panther: Reaper (Tiger SKU# 3668)
    Guen 1.jpg

Regis - Halfling Thief: Otherworld OWM-DAD12 (Halfling Thief, Demi-Human, Dungeons Adventurers) - This one will be arriving in a couple of days, it was on back-order for almost two months.

EVIL GUYS - BOO! HSSS!!

Drow Giant Spider Rider - RAFM RAF4546 (Vanir Spider Lancer)
    Lancer 1.jpg

Lloth the Spider Queen, Goddess - Reaper (77180: Shaerileth, Spider Demoness) - NSFW she's nude on top - I'm actually going to mod her so that she's wearing a skimpy top instead.
    Lloth 1.jpg

I will be updating fast and furious as I go through this project.

Comments, Advice, and Critiques are welcomed and appreciated!
    Minis finished all time: 49
    2014 Tally: 26

Current WIP's: The Companions of the Hall - A Diorama
    Most recent Display Cabinet piece: Alfred Redlute (Gendrick the Bard)

2. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Here are the pics from last night's work.

Did some more clean-ups and assembling of the figures. I will do a bit of green stuff/gap filling tonight and then re-prime the spots that need it and start painting a few things.

Bruenor - I added some notches to his "many-notched axe" and added a "Foaming Mug" to his shield - the symbol of the Battlehammer Clan.

Catti-Brie - I assembled her arm with the bow and her hair, the arm holding the arrow will have to wait until I get a bit painted on her middle so I can reach my brush in there, I also need to fill a tiny gap where her ponytail is at.

Drizzt - I attached both his arms with their scimitars, but I'm waiting on attaching his dual sheaths to his right hip until after I've painted that area so that I can get into the smaller crevices it will be blocking.

Wulfgar - I attached both his arms so he's fully assembled, I'll add a bit of green stuff to a few tiny areas to fill gaps.

Lancer - I attached the spider's teeth, all of the spider's legs, and the top of the drow's body (previously). I need to fill some pretty large gaps with green stuff where the legs meet the body. I also had one of the legs break on me so I had to glue/pin it at one of its joints, wasn't happy about this. I see why Buglips said the old lead version had "weak knees and would buckle under its own weight."

While I have the green stuff out, I've decided I'll cover Lloth's upper body so she isn't nude, giving her a skimpy top instead.

4. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to how this turns out, love Drizzt and the Forgotten Realms books. Not up to date with them unfortunately but they are great reads.
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! ub3r_n3rd
    Thanks!

I'm basing these off the characters earlier on in the books as things...change... later on.

More work done last night! Mostly sculpting and gap filling and then repair of fallen off arm and then filling gap again...

Bruenor - Sculpted on the foaming mug with the green stuff.

Catti-Brie - Filled gaps with green stuff on her arm and hair.

Drizzt - Filled gaps with green stuff on his arms.

Guen - Used green stuff on her back to give it some texture again since I had to file off a really rough mold line and it was too smooth and noticeable.

Wulfgar - Filled gaps on arms, left outstretched arm fell off on me during the process, I had to re-glue it on and re-fill the gap.

Drow Spider Lancer - Filled in gaps for the legs on the spider and the join between the upper and lower body of the drow himself.

Spider Queen - Sculpted on a skimpy top for her, now she's able to be photographed from the front and I'm sure this will please my brother as he doesn't care for nudity very much and may want to display this at work if I know him.

Regis - Still waiting on him to get to me, the Otherworld figure should arrive tomorrow and then I get to prep him and give him a weapon swap.

9. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,vegascat
    Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love the models you've chosen and the GS work on the drider's boobs looks good, about a thousand times better than anything I could do. :P Did you black wash the models specifically for the pictures or to give yourself an idea of where the shadows should be?
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Quote Originally Posted by vegascat View Post
    I love the models you've chosen and the GS work on the drider's boobs looks good, about a thousand times better than anything I could do. :P Did you black wash the models specifically for the pictures or to give yourself an idea of where the shadows should be?
    Thanks!

I'm actually going to remove the green stuff on her boobs and re-do it so it isn't so thick of a material, someone over on the Reaper forum did up a tutorial on how to do it better and it looks easy enough.

I black wash for pre-shadows and to help me see any mold lines I may have missed. I use Reaper MSP brown liner on the Bones figures as a "primer" and to also do the same thing as the black wash.

12. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Last night's work -

1) Excitedly received the Otherworld Halfling Thief which I'm going to use for Regis and unpacked him. He's soooo tiny! I actually like the figure a lot for Regis, the expression on his face and the details. The box art photo doesn't do him justice IMO.

2) Proceeded to wash off figure with warm soapy water and then work on my conversion.

3) Cut off the sling in his right hand and then broke off the hand at the wrist while trying to do the weapon swap!

4) Spent 2 hours trying to fix this problem by pinning/gluing. Dropped the hand on the floor and nearly lost in the carpet 3 times.

5) Finally got the hand glued back on and then got the mace glued into place.

6) Removed green stuff from top of Spider Queen, going to re-do it to make it a thinner material. Removed nipples from figure as well as mold lines from legs and hair.

7) Filed mold line off of Guen's tail.

14. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,vegascat
    A bit more work last night.

I redid the top for the Spider Queen with green stuff doing it much thinner.

Regis got some green stuff on his right wrist and along the haft of the mace, I wasn't able to actually pin this so I figured a bit of green stuff would help with the connection points. It's amazing how much time you spend trying to get these tiny gaps filled right. I'll try to get the green stuff on the haft filed down a little bit so it doesn't look so thick.

I also added a bit of green stuff to Guen's tail, no pic taken of that part though.

Finally, I made a few mushrooms out of the left over green stuff (also not pictured).

Hoping I can get back to it tonight and prime/line the figures that need it and start applying some base coats to the others.

16. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,Thrym,vegascat
    Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Her top looks much better. Are you almost done prepping?
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast