Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MaGie WIPs

Super Wamp

MaGie WIPs - March update

Instead of opening new threads for each WIP, I thought I'd make this big WIP threads, with all my projects together :)

Before I start, I would like to share something that I'm quite excited about!
    A few weeks ago a GW shop opened in my city, which made me quite happy because it means that there will be a place to meet other painters. So after showing the nice crew some pics of my minis they asked me to give some painting lessons in their shop. Because I would really to meet more painters, and any excuse to talk about the hobby, I agreed. So I will give my first lesson this Saturday.

I haven't paint any GW minis in a long time, but of course the store manager would like to display some of my work in their store. If someone wants to come to the lessons, it's probably nice to see what the tutor can do.
    So therefore I started this high elf mini. I'm going to paint it mostly in eavy metal colour scheme, just to keep it neutral and to challenge myself to try and copy a scheme.

So here is the first WIP pic. As you can see, not so much is finished. The face will need a bit more work. Blue and purple parts are just basecoated. The flames on the skirt were fun to do, I still need to practice my freehand a bit, but I think this is OK for now...

Last edited by MaGie; 04-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Super Wamp
    And this is what I did today. Progress is going slow, but steadily :)

Feedback is always welcome, but I totally understand it is difficult to comment on unfinished work.

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Looking very good so far, Magie
    "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
    Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Grats on the painting lesson MaGie! That should be fun. You'll have to let us know how it goes. Some things you like/dislike would do differently etc. I've been meaning to host a class at my LGS but never been to one and would have no real clue where to start.

The mini looks great. Love the contrast in the scale armor. Freehand is nice as well.

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Great start - now if only you were not so far away I could come for a lesson
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Quote Originally Posted by waghorn41 View Post
    Great start - now if only you were not so far away I could come for a lesson
    Me too, wouldn't mind to learn NMM from you, I still remember the AoW dwarf axes :)

Love the armour and the gemstone is great!

Well done you have certainly earned your tutor stripes with some great work. If only some of your talent would rub off on us!

3LP
    Wohohohohohoho!
    What do you mean wohohohohohoho?
    You've just eaten the most acid I ever seen anybody eat man!
    Paint Pig-my wargames blog
    three lil pigs painting-my painting blog

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    its spanking - lovely so far - feels quite old Skool colour choices. keep it going
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Wow, the expression on his face is pretty intense. I wish I could paint eyes like that... .

Looks beautiful!

I do have a question:
    Looking at the NMM of the armor - on the skirt portion the plates above would shade the top of the plate beneath leading to a highlight at the bottom, but the plates on the arm have a different orientation, should the pattern of highlight and shadow be different on the arm than on the skirt?

As I said, can't argue with the result, it's fantastic looking, at a theory level I am unsure.

Martin
    Last edited by mxconnell; 15-12-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: martin can't spell

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast