Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Alice in Wonderless Land

Super Wamp

Alice in Wonderless Land

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my latest project "Alice in Wonderless Land". This has been such an amazing fun piece to paint. The mini itself is beautiful and I also had loads of fun painting the picture frames. Taking pictures of it has been super difficult, but I think I will settle for these at the moment :)

Here's the idea I had in my mind:
    I imagined an older Alice, at the end of her twenties. Her time in Wonderland has been a long time ago, but not forgotten. And now, trapped in this sad, wonderless, steampunk world, she is looking for a way back by brewing potions that might make her small again to fit through the mouse hole. Meanwhile she keeps herself sane by painting pictures of her lost friends in Wonderland.

I hope you like it :D

When I figure out a way to make a collage without making the picture quality go down the drain I will post it in the gallery :)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MaGie; 11-09-2014 at 04:27 PM.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: DeafNala,Demonn,Iacton,NeatPete,waghorn41
    I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely gorgeous MaGie! The texture and paint on the wall is so realistic. The pictures are cute and very well done.

I can't get over her stance though. Thats the one thing about this mini that always bugs me. Is she leaning against the wall? Falling over? Just looks akward. Otherwise an amazing piece and wonderfully executed throughout.

Awesome diorama, MaGie :)
    I'm especially fond of the little worm, who seems to be straight out of this old Labyrinth movie (" If she'd 'ave kept on goin' down that way she'd 'ave gone straight to that castle !").

I just regret that you chose your models on the paintings from Burton's movie, rather than from classical Disney :(

5. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Darklord

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Lovely work MaGie - as always, have to agree with Pete about the stance though
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Super Wamp
    Thanks guys, I am glad you like her :)

As for the pose, I was expecting these remarks. In fact, it was had kept me worried for the longest time while working on this project. In the original sculpt she is tilting back. Of course it would be an option to change that, but it would require some serieus sculpting skills on my part and sadly I have none.
    So in the end I decided to keep her tilted for some reasons. First of all, I think it gives her a slightly playfull character, and I like that because it suits Alice and the rest of the scene. Secondly, I did not want to have her standing on her tiptoe as it would look very uncomfortable. There is also a practical reason hidden there, which is the fragility of this piece. That exact leg has broken on me twice, and leaving it to pinning her on the floor by only her tiptoe was something I wouldn't dare.

Lastly, what is a benefit of the backwards tilt, is that there is a much better frontal view and I like that as there is lots of detail to see.

Probably it sounds like I am justifying my reasons. I guess I am, if I could have done it differently I would have probably tried to make her stand more upright, but in the end I decided to go for practical reasons mostly :)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    shes lovely, the scene setting is great too. My only niggle is the floor covering doesnt feel right I think wooden floorboards would have worked better but its easily overcome by the excellence elsewhere such as the paintings and the stocking stripes. Your work improves everytime and its a pleasure to see it.

Cant wait for the next piece!
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

pretty stuff.

Gotta love the Sebastian Archer sculpts.