Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

View Poll Results: Are you a linear painter?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one thing at a time

14 41.18%
  • No, spread it about baby

18 52.94%
  • I follow the JKN school of thought and paint none of it

2 5.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a linear painter?

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Everything at once - it's the only way with a 3 inch brush and a roller
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Very linear. Start at the base, finish it. Boots to finished state etc. all the way up.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    Linear painting? Well I can paint lines, I seem to be quite good at pinstripes...
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

I do one thing at a time and fully finish it before moving on to another part. That way just works best for me.

same here, one thing at a time, fully finished until i start the next part. im doing this the whole mini except metals, which i usually save for last, to minimize the risk of getting any metal flakes in the other areas.
    Skelettet S Minis at facebook

1 3 3 4 - "All truth is parallel - all truth is untrue"

Gallery (CMON)

Enlightened Wamp
    Linear, as such.
    I tend to paint the largest areas of the model first, then the next largest, and so on. Conversely to Skellie I tend to paint metals early on because I seem to be incapable of painting metals cleanly, and I don't like getting metals on nicely painted skin! I try to leave the face until late, whereas a lot of other painters do that first. I try to paint the base first too, when possible, so that I don't lose interest after spending days on the model and rush the base...
    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalGamer View Post
    You people scare me

Good tactics with the base, Iacton! :D

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Iacton
    I tend to bascoat all the areas first, then shade, then highlight. Generally starting with the biggest areas first, although that depends on the model.

Chief Cabana
    You just need to take a look at my WIP thread to see I'm definitely a linear painter. I'll take it a step further and sometimes I'll break down large portions into smaller sections. For example with the White Speaker which was mostly skin I worked on the torso, then the arms, and then the legs.

Hm. I'm not consistent, for sure. I think I most of the time paint area by area, but sometimes I need to get a better feel for the paint scheme, so I will block out some colours so I don't spend ages on something I'll later re-do as it didn't quite sit right.. And sometimes I get a bit bored with a model and need to move on to another part before it's really finished, and then come back and finish the area later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast