Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First steps in the wondrous world of sculpting

Chief Cabana

First steps in the wondrous world of sculpting

Hello all

Inspired by amongst others Warploque Monkey I decided to have a go at sculpting a model from scratch a while ago. It's turning out better than I feared, but as I really want to learn as much as possible while working on this model, I thought feedback from this forum would be more than welcome. Don't hesitate to be harsh. I really want to improve as much as possible in this process, and that's only possible by accepting criticism.

I'll link to the pictures from the first steps, and add the ones from the current state as an image.

Making the armature

Image 2

Sculpting he tail, blocking out the body, and a first attempt at the face

Image 2

Image 3

Smoothing out the body, and a second attempt at the face

Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

Adding the chains, and adding some more detail to the face

Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

Working on the abdomen

Image 2

Sculpting the cloth and back of the saddle

Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

And then the pictures of where I've ended up so far. On the basic structure of the saddle, I've added a layer of fur. there's also the very basic armature of the Warlord, and some fur and skin texture added to the Pox Rat. I'm still experimenting very much with how to sculpt fur, so there are quite large differences between different areas on the model. I hope it's not too visible, but if it bothers me in the end I'll resculpt some parts.

Thank you very much for watching. Any kind of criticism is very much appreciated.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Spectral Dragon,vegascat
    Blog Entries
    That looks awesome!
    I'll be lucky to paint a single figure this year or any other. If I do manage it, no one will be more shocked than I.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    excellent start and for first attempt even better. I think the fur in places need to be a little sharper and a little thinner, but your off to a good start
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Chief Cabana
    Thanks, guys.
    You're right, Darklord. The first patches of fur I sculpted rolling each strand separately, and adding that on, but that took ages, and also resulted in the too thick fur.
    Only the last ones I made starting with one piece of greenstuff, which I try to separate in triangles then, but I still need quite some practice to get it sharp enough.
    Things I'm working on: Sculpting, Puppet Wars Unstitched, Sapo

Not much to add at this point in the way of constructive criticism. Seems like you've really thought this one through and it's looking great, especially being a first attempt. Did you use one of those tentacle making tools for the tail as that is always a tricky part. If not, kudos to you!

Chief Cabana
    Thanks, Moonmin.
    I don't have one of those tentacle makers, so I had to resort to just rolling over it with sculpting tools and my knife. Parts of it are okay, but it does look a little crude from some angles. I also made a tail for the Warlord (which I haven't photographed yet), recently, which came out a little better I think.

After the last pictures, a little more work has been done, and quite bad pictures have been taken. The face has had a little refining, and I decided to give him a bloated neck. I'll probably make the whole model a little fatter than the regular Skaven, to make him stand out as an individual as well. I might have overdone the wrinkles in his face below his eyes a little.

Apart from that, I bulked out the armature a little, trying to get some basic musculature in. Most of it will be covered by a robe, probably, but as this project is all about learning, I thought I could use the exercise.

As a final small addition, I added some spikes to the chain (which probably need some refining with a knife later on).

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat
    Goat Herder
    I like this skaven face. Don't hesitate to take your time on the anatomy now. :)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    thats a mad mouse!

like the spikes
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Chief Cabana
    Thanks to both of you!
    Don't hesitate to be harsh in your criticism; there's a lot I can learn from experienced sculptors and painters like you.
    I have made some more progress since these last pictures. As he's wearing a robe, you can't see a lot of the musculature. The hands turned out okay, and the last steps I have to take now are finishing the legs and feet, and then the paws of the Pox Rat.
    I hope to finish that in a couple of days, after which I'll try to get some decent pictures up. Even though there are parts which could be improved a lot, I think I'll just finish this one up and try to push my sculpting to the next level in a second project, in which I'll work on human(oid) anatomy, attempt at a coherent texturing (regarding fur and the like) and try to get some sharper edges.
    That means I can really use any tips or critical remarks you can think of on this project, to really push the awareness for the finesses of the art to tackle another one.

Chief Cabana
    Here we are again, and I'm calling this one done. It isn't really 'finished', as in there are still a lot of mistakes, but I really want to take what I've learned about sculpting with this model (and will learn painting it) to start a fresh sculpt, which is less hampered by bad armatures, too large undefined volumes, and incoherence than this one is, rather than keep working on this one. I'll first throw you the pictures, followed by my own remarks on the major mistakes.

I would really appreciate criticism very much, even though I probably won't change anything on this model anymore. This model really was a first exercise in sculpting, and I think I've really improved a lot doing it, especially considering general feel for the putties I used, getting the surfaces much smoother now, and discovering the importance of decent armatures.

The Great Pox Rat is the worst part about this model. He has no musculature to speak of, the face is quite crude, he has a lot of different types of fur (due to me experimenting with how to make it), and above all, his paws are utter crap.

On the Warlord, I think the main problems are caused by a bad armature, with proportions which are off. His limbs are too long (and as such too slender), especially in comparison to his bulked face. Also, I really found sculpting his feet really difficult, having nothing to work against when making these rather thin and long parts; they ended up crude and short. In general, he's somewhat lacking in musculature, and on his knees do weird things. I think I improved a lot on sculpting cloth on this one, the last part going much better than the first, and some fine detailing and edges are getting somewhere decent as well. All in all, I'm not too happy with him.

So, with this one done, I hope to start my second sculpt soon. I'll be working on the main faults in this one, trying to sculpt a (naked) human anatomy dummy, trying to get the musculature as good as I can.
    When that's done, I hope to cast it up a few times, and work on textures using the dummy as a base, basically 'dressing' him up to get a better knowledge on how to sculpt fur, sharp armour edges, flowing cloth,...

As said, criticism is more than welcome. Don't spare me.

PS: I know the pictures are crap. If you want any other angles, give me shout. I hope to take better ones one of these days.

13. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast