Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First steps in the wondrous world of sculpting

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    for a first attempt thats great, you didnt go for an easy option
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Chief Cabana
    Thanks. In retrospect I probably should have. Even though I learned a lot on this model, I think I could have done two simpler ones in the same time, which probably would have paid off more.
    How's your Dinosaur coming along?
    Last edited by Jona; 10-02-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    Things I'm working on: Sculpting, Puppet Wars Unstitched, Sapo

Chief Cabana
    Contrary to my earlier ambitions, I decided to have a go at a 15mm scale model. It took quite some adapting, especially since I hadn't really built up much sculpting experience in general, but I'm starting to like the scale quite a bit.

Below are a picture of the earlier stage, at which moment the basic anatomy was still visible, and some links to other angles. I'm aiming for a more or less realistic proportioning, except for the head which is slightly larger to allow for a focal point and some facial expression. The model is around 17mm to the top of the head, which I understand is pretty much the standard for what's called 15mm (correct me if I'm wrong). He's to become a Roman-ish (not aiming for historical accuracy) orator. I basically wanted to get a feel for proportioning, cloth flows, facial expression, and experiment with dramatic/tense atmosphere in a static miniature (opposed to the rather blunt and overly 'dynamic' one I did on the Skaven).

Left side
    Back side

At the moment I've added the toga and hair. Parts are still very crude (especially the tunica and his legs). After solving that, he needs hands and sandals, and he's pretty much done.

As always, I'm seeing this as a learning experience, so I'd appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanks for looking

4. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Shaved Dwarf,vegascat
    Chief Cabana
    By the way, is there any way to change the thread title?

That's funny, I was thinking about trying to sculpt 15mm the last few weeks, without having much prior sculpting experience myself. But I hesitated, and now I discovered this thread. You simply tried it and got a very good result.
    Maybe I should think less about daring or not to give something a try (and possibly fail), but simply sit down and try it and accept the outcome...

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    By the way, is there any way to change the thread title?
    Only mods can change titles for some reason. What would you like it changed to?
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Chief Cabana
    Shaved Dwarf - Just go for it. I already learned tons just messing around with these two models, and it really is a lot of fun. Besides, sculpting something simple doesn't even take that long. I think I'm sitting around 4.5 hours on this 15mm guy so far, and I'm certain if I'd make another one it would go much faster (around 1.5 hours of it was correcting earlier proportioning). Have you got any of your earlier sculpting work to show?

Undave - Ah, thanks. I'll just give it some thought, as I'll probably keep all my sculpting work in here, and it's no use having one of you change the title every other project. I'll let you know when I've made up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Have you got any of your earlier sculpting work to show?
    Not really. There is no miniature. Just did a few small things when doing conversions, the usual stuff like filling gaps when repositioning arms, a few straps, loinclothes, quivers, caps, belt buckles, pouches and knapsacks.

Chief Cabana
    Just give it a go, and you'll see where you end up.

I did some work on the hands, and tried sculpting sandals. I initially wanted to sculpt his right hand as open, but that proved pretty much impossible with the scale and my limited skills. I'm not particularly happy with either them or the sandals, but I'm not feeling like putting too much more work in this guy, so probably calling him done. Apart from that, some parts are still a little crude, and I think the cloth would have benefitted from some deeper/more defined flows.
    All in all, I quite like working in this 15mm scale. The proportions turned out much better than I feared. The major difficulty is that once you start screwing up a part, it's very hard to fix it; minor faults in texture really show as large ridges in this scale. I'm also having some difficulty with blending subsequent layers of putty into each other; the seams remain much too visible. Maybe sanding would help, but I have no idea how to go around that on a thing this small. Much to learn...

PS: Could a moderator rename the thread to 'First steps in the wondrous world of sculpting'? Cheers!
    Last edited by Jona; 11-04-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Chief Cabana
    After my last attempt at sculpting, a 15mm model, I've now started a new one, the Oyster Diver. He's probably around 18mm scale - 19mm to the top of the head, to be precise, but that's rather accidental. I initially aimed for a small fat guy in 28mm, but proportions and detailing are off for that, so now he's rather standard height. Still heavily work in progress of course, but I feel like it's coming along much, much better than my previous attempt, especially getting smooth surfaces (thanks to some of the tips I got on frothers), and facial detailing and expression. Also quite pleased with the different textures so far (leather, skin, oyster shell). I'm trying to sculpt him to be castable in one piece, regardless of whether that ever happens, keeping the undercuts as limited as possible.

As always, criticism is very, very much appreciated, on style, technique, castability, or whatever. The harsh one even more so.

Thanks for looking!

PS: could a moderator rename this thread 'First steps in the wondrous world of sculpting' please?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast