Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propsed Change to the Gallery - Your opinion wanted

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries

Propsed Change to the Gallery - Your opinion wanted

OK folks I would appreciate some feedback on a possible change to the gallery.

When the gallery was changed to the current one I envisaged a cmon style gallery but without the snipers.

Generally this is what we have though despite the numerous contingencies in place we do still get the odd occurrence.

I was contemplating whether it would be a better option to remove the voting aspect of the gallery?

I would like to know how this may affect peoples use of the gallery. Do you like to vote on things or indeed gain votes for your stuff? Do you like the option to make your images un-ratable?

Do you think the gallery needs different improvements to utilise it better?
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, I would like to see the voting removed altogether. I do appreciate the option to choose non-voting (un-ratable) for my profile, and I take advantage of that. I can accept the argument that that approach accommodates everyone. However, what I want for my own posts are comments and dialogue. I have better odds of achieving that in the Miniatures Showcase forum. And, again, that's another example that there are avenues on the site to accommodate everyone's taste.

But I don't visit the gallery much, because it doesn't show who the artist is. I know that hiding the artist's name is an intentional mechanism geared towards the voting -- it prevents the voting from becoming a popularity contest. And, again, I can see the logic in that.

So, the system that we have is very accommodating to everyone. But I think that WAMP can distinguish itself by having a non-voting gallery. If people wish to compete, that's what CMON is for. If people wish to just be simple hobbyists and share achievements and insights with one another and give each other encouragement, that's what WAMP is for. My two cents.

I think it would be cool to automatically link each gallery photo with a particular thread, in place of the comments box. For example, a viewer could jump to my Hobby ADD thread or Showcase thread to leave comments. That way, there's one place to go to view comments, and the thread offers a broader set of tools (e.g. quotes, BBC) to have a more coherent, multi-person discussion about a piece.

3. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! warhammergrimace
    Yeah, I don't really like the whole rating thing - just showing what you have done and sharing is the good point I think. With comments if people want to comment - it could be linked more tightly with the display cabinet forum for example.

There seem to be plenty of competitions etc going on here for when/if people want to get their work rated.

Pretty much what Shades said I think.

5. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! warhammergrimace
    I'm on the fence with the voting. I do enjoy having a general idea of what some people think and especially love that it identifies the most popular works. Don't really worry too much about the snipers but it does add an extra bit of fun. I do worry that people might not visit the gallery if you remove the voting but I may be wrong.
    "Keep your brush wet and our humour dry."

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    another consideration for going to not rating is the gallery would open up to non members to view (currently they can only view thumbnails really)

Put me down in the "no voting" camp as well. Sniping is an issue in the gallery, and there are not enough people voting to really balance it out.

One idea instead is maybe a "like" system, just like facebook. You can "like" any model in the gallery, and maybe have a list of models with the most "likes". There is no "dislike" option. Anyone can view the models, but only members can "like" them. It would allow well done models to get recognition, but would prevent sniping.

9. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,phatkid1966,Undave,vegascat
    Good idea Century.

@ Brett, perhaps the most liked miniatures each month could be identified as 'this months celebrated miniatures' meaning those wishing to browse with limited time still get to see some of the best work before the boss gets back from lunch
    "Keep your brush wet and our humour dry."

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    +1 on liking the likes idea.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

12. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Darklord

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Undave View Post
    +1 on liking the likes idea.
    You'll like it. Not a lot, but you'll like it

lol Paul Daniels is from my home town!! and when I was 8 he magiced a 50 pence piece out of my nose and I asked him why it wasnt covered in snot lol.

anyway I digress!!

I dont really go in the Gallery except when someone says " Ive put this in the Gallery" then I will go in and look at it and then will look at a few more while Im there!! but very rarely vote unless it is outstanding work!!
    So for me ya can remove the vote and replacing it with "LIKE" is a great Idea coz that would suit my Gallery viewing right down to the ground. Its a great Idea Brett I think century has nailed it to be honest!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast