Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving from mediocre

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    for holding models I do it one of two ways, first is I drill and pin in place a paper clip through the foot (to attach to base) I leave this longer than I actually need, I can then slot this into a pin vice to hold while painting.
    The second option is better as it involves drinking wine!

Take a cork glue to a base (for stability) you can then simply push the afore mentioned pin straight into this. The beauty of this method (apart from the excuse to drink) is you can leave the model standing safely in this.

If you can get champagne corks they tend to be a little more ergonimic
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I normally just have the base stick-tacked to a candy container. With Sonnia though its a little harder. Didn't want to put a pin through the foot since I wasn't sure I could get deep enough to support her well, and I'd need to cover up the pin work before attaching her to the base. The only point of connection on the base is the dragon's "tail" and her mouth. I tried setting up a pin at the mouth but there was no way to do it without having the pin constantly in the way.

Some more WiP shots. First the pre-glazed base. It kind of reminds me of soft-serve ice cream.

The glaze pooled in a few places, but nothing too major. It did however make the mold line I thought I managed to remove show up again. Everything on Sonnia has been washed except for her flesh. I need to go back and redo my dry brush for her leather though since the wash blended it together a little too well. After that its finishing her boots and the hair. She looks a little out of place since I went with blue fire over a more standard colour, but its magic and really hot so screw it.

Beyond the hair, boots, and few little touchups she's nearly done.

4. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    On the base I would maybe darken the tips up to black in some places. This will help push the contrast and make the the white seem brighter

So have the model all in one piece... sort of. She's not really sitting on well, so going to see if I can figure a decent way to hide a pin for her, or find a few decent contact points for glue.

Definitely a deviation from the darker colours I normally do my Malifaux in. Could probably still use some better highlighting on the flames, but just trying to figure out the right blue for it. Enchanted Blue isn't making a big difference so looking at either Mordian or going all the way to Necron Abyss. Sonnia could also probably use stronger highlights now that she's on the base. Never really done anything before that would need some degree of OSL to look like a cohesive model. Getting to that point where fiddling with it may just make me start over. If it does then I'll likely go with a more traditional fire for the base. At least most the model is metal so its easy to strip.

As for other things, finally diving into my Winter Guard.

Another project continuing my love/hate relationship with white paint schemes. Could use a little work on the beard, and I nicked the back of his coat when doing the base. Mostly just trying to get the scheme down before painting the other guys in batches. I have Superiority for reference on the 111 scheme, but its a bit of pain to work with. With the airbrush doing most of the work, and finally figuring out a good wash to use on white this should go fairly smooth. It sucks that I picked this unit up a few days before the plastic repack was announced, but at least it makes them easy to re-do in the event of massive screw-ups. The metal models also wear their hats low enough that they don't have eyes to paint, which is always a bonus in my books.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    can you pin through her arm into the blue bit?

The dude is looking nice. Highlight the bear slightly and add some highlights to the metal also but getting there. nice and neat

Not really, best bets are her foot or mouth. Putting the model to the side until I do the winter guard just in the event I do end up having to start over. Would like to feel like I made progress for a few more days. Got the white on the guard started.

Need to take a look at it tomorrow to see if it needs another coat, then can start parting them up. Also got my Guard Captain base coated while I had the airbrush going. Picked up some cork so I could assembly line paint the guard and I swear they mush have gotten into that wine. They're a little top heavy when set down and are prone to falling over in a slight breeze. Comfy to work with at least.

9. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Make sure the cork bottom is flat. You usually have to trim them. I always glue a spare base to the bottom of the cork to make them stable. The standard gw one fits perfect

Have the metals left to do on the guard before working on each individually. Decided to get the captain painted up for a bit of a break.

Mr. C is a bit of an inside joke for a local player, so my terrible free-handing of an aquila adds to his charm. I need to see about blending the arm numbers back into the coat since I started with some fancy then decided to just keep it simply. Was also a nice excuse to my VJ Olive Green which is one of the best greens I've worked with. I find most of the GW greens are either too bright, too dull, or have a blue tint to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12