Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving from mediocre

Improving from mediocre

Looking for any kind of advice I can get now that I can finally access my gallery. Working on getting my recent stuff into the gallery for criticism, but need to retake some pictures and/or convert them into collages. Still waiting on approval for the only thing I have in there currently, so just going to use my photobucket gallery for now.

I'm aware of the missed spot on the back at the bottom of the fur. Didn't notice it until a day after I did the pictures, and its been in a display case since then. It still somehow managed to win a local paint contest.

Blog Entries
    Nice work! I like the clean lines and the color selections. You have good brush control, and I think you do a good job distinguishing the elements of the miniature.

IMO, what I would work on next is strengthening your shadows and highlights. You might want to thin your paint some more, too.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    thats good solid work and I wouldn't call you mediocre.

The biggest thing for me would be pushing the contrast much more, because minis are so small you need to add in more contrast than you would for bigger models otherwise they look flat.

On the white I would add more shading to the recesses. For the rest I would push the highlights much brighter.

On th red I would use space wolves grey for the highlight colour.

You might find it useful to start a WIP thread as you paint something then we can give you 'live' advice and it also gets you thinking about colour placement and the like much more
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Shades and DL have pretty much covered it, your work is neat and controlled, Shades mentioned watering your paints down more which is sound advice, just be patient with the layers as thin paints take longer to cover and be sure to wipe ya brush on kitchen towel/paper towel before applying it to the mini as it could flood it can be blotted off if it does but a simple dab on a paper towel will do nicely! if your not confident with layering try washes? they are a quick way of picking out detail and then once dry paint back in!! that how I started with them long time ago now!!
    keep at it Boshea your work is solid only may is forward from now on!

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    Super-approval powers ACTIVATE!

As Norm says quick and simple way to add a bit of extra contrast is to use some washes. They add shading and dull the whole thing down a bit which means you have to reinforce your highlights creating a bigger transition between the raised and recessed areas.

Good job on getting the flames the right way round, Most people automatically go the other way making them look like yellow spider plants
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been painting some Sisters of Battle for a friend and I know what a pain the sculpts can be sometimes. I like your model overall and really don't have much to add other than you can sometimes hide that seam inbetween the two layers of cork by taking some white (Elmers in the US) glue and thinning it with a little water and paint it on over the cork before painting. You could also take some straws and add some pipes emerging from the broken concrete she's standing on for added interest as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you paint.
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can get some wip shots of my current stuff. Thread title is more a joke about a paint thread I had going elsewhere before my Canoness won a local painting contest. It was named "Adventures in Mediocrity" and my comment was that I had to upgrade that to the next skill level now that I won something.
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascat View Post
    I've been painting some Sisters of Battle for a friend and I know what a pain the sculpts can be sometimes. I like your model overall and really don't have much to add other than you can sometimes hide that seam inbetween the two layers of cork by taking some white (Elmers in the US) glue and thinning it with a little water and paint it on over the cork before painting. You could also take some straws and add some pipes emerging from the broken concrete she's standing on for added interest as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you paint.
    Great tip for the cork. I was thinking of doing something like adding something to look like rebar into the cork to give it more character, but passed since I had already painted up the entire model and didn't have to time to repaint her again (stripped her once from a bad wash). Also good tip for cover the seam line, never would of thought of that at all.

She was washed with Vallejo pale grey, but this was before I had any kind of idea how to thin it properly. She was an on the fly mix of wash and water, and I've since gone to a 1:1 mix of wash and pledge. It's a little more noticeable on my Kodiak, but it never shows up well in pictures. Highlights have never been my strong point. Usually when I attempt them it just never seems to look right to me.

Thats the beauty of washes mate! take your highlights right up and then wash it back down does the trick all depends on the look ya want!!

Messing around with my photo setup. Trying some different stuff since I'm so used to painting my models in dark colours that that white backdrop I find has a hard time showing white well. Here is the Kodiak I have done that shows off the wash a bit better.

Also what I'm currently trying to finish before the weekend.

The base and Sonnia are currently separate to make painting easier, she's just resting there currently. Waiting for the green stuff to dry on the base then going to get it painted before dry brushing the rest of the dragon. My gap filling is pretty shoddy, but its really hard trying to cover the gaps and have it still look cohesive to the model. Need to remember what colours I used to paint my regular Sonnia so that she matches. For anyone who hasn't worked with this model before, there is almost no way to tell the arms apart and its kind of a trial and error process to get it to look right.

Unfortunately there are no good ways to take pictures of this model until its all one piece.

Mouth is a little messed up from a few attempts at figuring out a better way to hold the model while working on it. Doesn't show up when on the base thankfully. Basic colours are done and I need to get metalics tomorrow and start doing touch ups and highlights. Doing the hair last since its generally where I've been holding the model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast