Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Thread

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries

The Football Thread

Plenty of us follow footie (proper not the american version!) so heres the place to discuss it.

Lets start with the rumoured 100m transfer for Bale to Madrid
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    100m is too much, and Madrid don't really need him but do need a striker, having only Benzema left up front.

I wish Newcastle would get their act together. This summer has been painful, with only a 16yr old "prospect" brought in from a Ligue 2 side. Had been talking about moving for Gomis for months before they went in for him, although that was seemingly to just buy themselves a week of breathing time.

Also, is there any set up for a WAMP fantasy football league? I tend to start each season using the Barclays one and a competitive forum environment might be what I need to see the season through

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    thing is Madrid like Barcelona and Milan run elected Presidencies so its often election manifestos that bring in these players. They seem to run of big name signings rather than whos necessarily best for the team.

Its a ridiculous amount and its the fans that get squeezed to fund much of it.

No league set up, if theirs interest your quite welcome to sort one if you like

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    It is a ridiculous amount, although it could be argued that they did get their 80m worth from Ronaldo. I would have thought that Luis Suarez would have been a better target for them. About as high profile, half the cost but still expensive at 45-50m and wanting to move. So ok he is a little bit of a cheating so and so but wouldn't that just help him fit in?

Income from fans is quite minimal in the top leagues, at least compared to sponsorship and tv deals. They will get a large amount of income from a top signing through shirt sales, particularly in Asia but they have very little effect on ticket prices etc. They just fluctuate as the club feels like it.

I'll set up a league in a separate thread, I know that I get confused sometimes between real football and Fantasy/FIFA/Football Manager. Particularly after getting to 2016 with Newcastle and winning almost everything in my path multiple times. Sometimes reality is cruel.

Bale is a good English player but mainland Europe play completely different I think he will find himself up against tougher defenses than in the PL as for the 100M thats a stupid price! for anyone!!

good players are gonna be worth more than the average player just like in business some managers get paid more than others coz they are good!! BUT... the money side of football is ridiculous and If Madrid are stupid enough to pay it then Bale would be daft not to take it he will get a good cut from the deal it will set him up for life once he actually retires. it really narks me off that they are priced in the millions, but then the career of a player is relatively short compared to say a bricky or general worker so that sometimes justifies the wages a bit but then ya see a player going for 100mil and I think Why? Im probably as good at my job as he is at playing football but I dont get millions of pounds a year, then I ask myself would they still play football if every player got 300 a week? if I could actually believe 100% of players would then that would shut me up but ya just know that players earning millions just wouldnt do it! and for me that taints the whole game!

people like nurses, care givers, life savers, workers who do things that improve quality of life should be the ones on mega money! not some sweaty kid kicking a lump of leather round a field! but sadly thats not how it will ever be and we are stuck with fat cats looking to improve their businesses coz thats what it is at the end of the day!

spending a fortune on an asset that could potentially earn many more millions for their club!! big business in football has defo soured it but in a dog eat dog world them who pay more get more pure and simple!!

The move for Bale is a good move financially but cant see him staying there long? probably end up at Man Utd at the end of his contract!! IMO anyway!!!

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    He's Welsh ;)

The money in football is stupidly big, and some players play only for the money (Spurs left back Benoit Assou-Ekotto is one to come out and say that he only plays because they pay him so much, he doesn't actually care for the game). Some of the time I can work out football economics, but a better way to do it would be to go and read The Secret Footballer. It's done by the guy who does the column in The Guardian (I think), an actual footballer who was (as of last season) in the Premier League. A real eye opener and an honest view.

With all the money in the mens game, I find myself enjoying the womens game more. Aside from the obvious , they play because they want to, not because of the money - the England team are all part time, almost all of them have part time jobs. Jill Scott, who plays for Everton, still teaches several days a week up at a college in the North East. Sure there is some money in the game and some teams are professional (Lyon and a few others I can think of), but the people who are involved are doing it through passion for the game. Germany won their 5th European Championship in a row on Sunday, and all their players are part time.

The womens game is also devoid of 95% of the play acting that is in the mens game. Almost nobody dives. Everyone gives everything. Players, when fouled, get up straight away unless actually injured.

Ok, so the quality isn't quite there, and the game is slightly slower but if you get the chance, go watch a game and compare it to the mens game.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Thing is Bale like to push forward and roam, I think he will suit Real's style well though whether he would fit so well with Ronaldo I am not sure but lets face it La Liga is a donkey league and Real will finish at least second!

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Real should have the title this season, Barca are in a flux at the moment. Real would have the same conundrum with Bale and Ronaldo as Barca currently have with Neymar and Messi - the original is so good even a great player isn't quite able to get in ahead of them.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Bale rumoured to be at 105m now, sheer madness.

Hoping Saurez leaves Liverpool. that club needs knocking off its perch and it was only him last season that kept them in the top half of the table.

First game of the season tonight with Blunts v Notts County. As an Owl I am hoping for a 10-0 away win!!

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Coventry City just gone into Liquidation. Sad news for them, fallen a long way. Will be a 15 points deduction minimum

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast