Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dpowell's WIP - historical, fantasy, and scifi

Chief Cabana

Dpowell's WIP - historical, fantasy, and scifi

Hey all, I decided to start up a continuing work in progress thread for my various projects. My interests tend to be all over the place so you'll find some historical figures and also fantasy and sci-fi projects.

So after entering figures into the KD and Red Box contests here on WAMP I decided it was time to do a few historical figures. The main project I'm working on is a Roman gladiator called a Thraex. He's similar to the Murmillo (probably what most people think of as the typical gladiator) with his helmet and armor, but he carries a much smaller shield to make him more mobile. He carries a curved sword popular in Thrace (hence his name) which would hook around his opponents shield and pull it away or strike at their unprotected back. The figure itself is a 54mm figure produced by Pegaso. For this project I'm trying to use stronger contrasts and also work on my metals.

Here are some pictures to get you up to speed.

The metals were quite the ordeal. I wasn't happy with my previous attempts so I wanted to try something new. I'd heard good things about Vallejo Model Air metallics so I picked some up. Unfortunately they don't come in bronze. So I tried to mix of a couple metallics and then some washes and glazes. Didn't turn out well. So then I tried to just use their gold but apply some glazes to bring it down to a bronze. Failure again. For my third attempt I went back to Vallejo Model Color, which has a bronze, and then mixed in VMA gold for the highlights plus a variety of washes to create the shadows.

This past weekend was spent working on the feathers in the helmet. I wish I had some neat quick way to do these. Instead they took forever to paint! But I'm happy with the result and now most of the hard work on this one is done. Phew.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Endor,ub3r_n3rd
    Chief Cabana
    Because one project is never enough, I'm also working on a Napoleonic figure. He's a mounted Polish Lancer from around 1809-1815. I'm not real far on this one yet, mostly just worked on him when I've hit a wall with the gladiator. There's quite a bit to this guy (as you can see below) so this should be a long term project. Oh, and he's another 54mm from Pegaso.

And here are some close ups of the work I've actually done...

My focus so far has been the face. There's not much shading or highlighting on the torso yet. He's going to have a combination of dark blue, red, and bright white... so trying to balance the shading/highlighting range of those colors is going to be tricky. I'm trying to paint a little of each so I can see how they work with one another and adjust my paint choices.

Aside from these two historical figures I'm also hoping to do something for the Wyrd and Studio McVey contests. But, until I finish the gladiator, I've promised myself I won't start anything new. I already have too many half finished projects crowding up my work area!

4. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! ub3r_n3rd
    Blog Entries
    Another ADD thread! Awesome. I will be following this one with great interest. This will be a great treat to watch your process in action. Especially with the close-ups.

I'm amazed how brightly and vividly you can bring out your colors over black primer. I guess it just proves that it can be done.

I hope you bring in your gladiator for the Wednesday meeting. I would love to study it while it's a WIP. Especially the feathers. I need to paint feathers for my Alkemy figures.

My only critique so far -- your paint station is too neat!

Chief Cabana
    Thanks, Shades. I bought that painting station from HobbyZone a few months back. I might still have figure parts and kits piled everywhere, but at least my painting area is organized now. Though in all honesty it did get a little bit more cleaned up before I took that photo.

Black primer works well for me since my usual process is to paint from the shadows up to the highlights. As long as I lay out some intermediate layers first I don't have any real issues with getting bright colors. I've experimented a little with white primer but because I don't do the mid tone first, then shadow, then highlight approach it's messing with my process. At this point I keep my white primer for a few select projects, like a figure I'm about to start as a gift that has a ton of white areas.

And yup, barring any catastrophe, the gladiator will be my entry into the parade ground on Wednesday. The feathers were a pain, but hopefully I can help you out with yours. We can chat more tomorrow. Until then here's the only close up I have.

7. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: ub3r_n3rd,vegascat
    Lovely work dpowell, the feathers are nice and I like the flesh areas on the Thraex in particular. If you're interested here's a recipe for bronze that Shane did a couple of years ago using Vallejo paints.

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
    Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    yeah looking nice. Maybe some weathering on the bronze?
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm really loving those feathers and your bronze is really nice as well.
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Chief Cabana
    Thanks for the link, Ulfgrimr. I actually used a pretty close version of that by the end. I used VMC Bronze mixed with some Reaper Master Series Black Brown, pure VMC Bronze, VMC bronze mixed with VMA gold, and then pure VMA gold. After that I went over the shadows with GW shades of Agrax earthshade and then Druchii violet (to add a little color). I want to go back in and add a little green for some oxidation but haven't yet.

Darklord, yeah, this whole guy is going to need some weathering. I've been saving that for last though. I want to add some cuts, blood splatter, and dried blood. I'd also like to add some dirt... but I'm not really sure how to go about it here. Usually I just make it look like mud, but this guy is on sand. I should probably go with some dusty looking pigments. Unfortunately I don't have any experience using those and I'm not sure this is the best place to experiment. So I'm saving a lot of this till last so I have more time to figure out what I'm going to do! And, as I said above, I think it'd be neat to add a little oxidation to the bronze. Not too much though, I figure the gladiators probably took pretty good care of their equipment.

Thanks, Vegascat. I was pretty happy with how it all turned out too!

Chief Cabana
    I don't have any new updates on the gladiator (unfortunately), but because of the theme I wanted to point out a new project on kickstarter. It's a gladiator based miniature skirmish game. I posted more details on a thread in the gaming part of the forum, so take a look and see if you might be interested. I think the project looks really cool and I can't wait to paint the figures.

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/showthr...908#post206908

Chief Cabana
    Finally finished the gladiator. I had a three week break in there where I wasn't able to find time to even pick up a paint brush, so he took a little longer than I had planned. All in all, he was fun to paint. Lots of skin to play around with, some fun with metallics and feathers, and a little bit of weathering (I didn't want to go overboard on that).

I tossed him up on the gallery page as well: http://www.wampforum.com/gallery/ind...o=rate&id=2492

Now that he's done the next big project will be the Polish Lancer I started earlier. But, before I get to that I'm painting up a Dark Eldar Scourge as a fun quick model. I'll post some more pictures once I get a little further along with him.

14. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Endor,TheBugKing,ub3r_n3rd,vegascat

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast