Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Dpowell's WIP - historical, fantasy, and scifi

Chief Cabana
    Thanks! Yes, most of what I use are Reaper paints (at least the matte colors, for metallics I use Scale75). However, in this instance, the Dark Green is from Badger's Minitaire line. But the rest of the colors are Reaper.

A very interesting color for his skin and I think it works really well. The cool color fits perfectly. Also very interesting to see you paint non historical miniatures.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    erm wait, thats not historical!!

Good to see you back mate and I've seen your new mini thats taking your time!

liking this so far, the face looks quite busy in flesh details and I reckon it would be easy to overload it colour wise but I like your effort. That eye really pops.

Looking forward to following this further
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Chief Cabana
    Thanks, Darklord and Nils. It's been fun working on a big fantasy project like this. Some things are just easier to try out on a fantasy piece when you're not worried about 'reality', so this has been a good way to push myself.

I got a bit delayed in posting the update, but here it is. Finished off the head (more or less) and then moved on to the body. I'm working in sections, so the back and arm still isn't complete. I included a picture from behind so you can see the early stage (base coat and shadows roughed in). From there I'll blend that together and then add the highlights. Eventually I plan to go back in with some glazes on the face and body... but that won't be until near the end.

5. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Love the colour! Awesome work.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    hes looking sweet. Do you always do shadows first then highlights? Also I dont know how folks can work in sections, I have to do the flesh as a whole!

Chief Cabana
    Thanks, Scott and Darklord.

Yeah, I'm used to working from dark to light, so it's almost always shadows first and then highlights. I'm experimenting with switching that around when I paint black, but that's the only time I can think of where I do it the other way.

Ha, well, painting all the skin at once would be nice. But this guy is about 70mm tall and has a ton of exposed skin to cover. That's a lot to do at once and even on the wet palette the paint is only workable for so long. We've also got a new baby at home and it's rare that I get more than an hour of painting time without being interrupted. So working in small sections means I might actually finish an area before I have to stop.

9. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! vegascat

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the baby!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    ah makes sense. How do you match the sections though, do you write down the recipes or go by sight then use washes/glazes later to tie them all in together?

Chief Cabana
    Thanks, Scott!

Darkloard, I'll jot down the recipe. This is especially helpful if I take a long break (weeks+). I'll also hang on to the palette paper from earlier painting sessions. This way I can compare directly to the color, without all the other stuff like blending getting in the way. On this project, for the first time I ended up using some empty paint bottles to mix up a larger batch of the main colors.

There's still the trick of knowing how far to go with your highlights and shadows so the areas look like they are lit by the same light. For that I just go by eye. If it looks right, then it is right.

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast