Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: jkn's mini foothill thread

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries

jkn's mini foothill thread

I posted this yesterday as a blog post and decided it made more sense as a kick off for my WIP thread.

Twenty Years Since Painting

I suddenly became interested in miniatures and painting again only a couple weeks ago. What flipped the switch? I think I just needed to jump into something old and familiar - something away from computers (although the irony of doing my entire research online and joining this community - but... that's different.)

I've been a musician all my life. Music is an integral part of me - and I go a bit nuts if I'm away from it too long. But I'm a creative person - and other things make me just as happy. Getting lost in taking photographs - it's a brief moment, magic moment of becoming one with the view in the camera. It's easier for me to get lost playing piano or bass or guitar - but photography... and painting also take me there.

Even stranger on my sudden flip back to miniatures is less than a year ago I was debating on whether to keep them! We were preparing to move from Illinois to Indiana for my wife's work and I was pondering giving them to my nephew who was just kind of dabbling in D&D. In the end - I decided they had too much sentimental value - packed them into boxes and kept them.

So we move to Indiana - my job transferred with me (yay!) and I worked from a new office and then 5 months later I got let go in a corporate "cost reduction" in October after 13 years with the company. I've been looking for a new position since then.

I think the miniatures is a return to something I loved - and it's "new" - really new now. So much has changed! Not only the internet to connect people, but so many smaller companies doing more specialized work.

I'm excited. I've gone a bit over-zealous here in my first week at Wamp. I won't post this often in the future as I'll have a job, and have paints! I'm holding off on buying until I get employed again. And of course, I'll be back heavily into music. I'm launching a new store and I own a small ambient music label.

But, the miniature bug has bitten me and bitten me good. I can't wait to get painting and learn from all of you!

John

p.s. It's been 20 years since I painted - here are two threads of my old figures and boxes:

* Two dragons I painted in the early 1990's

* More photos of old Ral Partha figures and boxes
    Last edited by jkn; 02-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Overly obsessed with: Perry Samurai, Red Box Games Dwarves, Ral Partha, and Dragons.

Man, RP stuff like that takes me back to when I was a kid too. I never could afford that size minin on my pocket money at the time, but I do love the 80/90's oldskool stuff. :)

I look forward to seeing where your journey takes you!

all we need now is some pics of you flinging paint around and producing some cool minis!! I think by other threads we will be seeing infinity soon!

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait - and I have quite the overfilled cart stuffed with stuff at thewarstore.com of paints and infinity figures. But - I just can't let myself pull that trigger until I sort out the job situation. So until then - you'll see me posting my happy little fingers off on everything *about* painting until I can actually *do* painting. :-)

It'll be soon - I have a good feeling this will all work out soon. Everyone's encouragement here is wonderful!

and... p.s. my painting skills won't be all that hot - but I'm going to have one heck of a great time painting and posting pics and learning from all of you!
    Overly obsessed with: Perry Samurai, Red Box Games Dwarves, Ral Partha, and Dragons.

the luxury us painters have is Time! all the old cliches can come out here!! Rome wasnt built in a day! and all that!!

take your time wet your paints down a little and the basics of base cote, dry brush, wash, dry brush and highlight are all anyone needs to get started!! no rush my friend!!

and I know what ya mean when ya wanna hang on for splashing cash! Im working but I still have to hold back or we would be living in a cardboard box under a bridge lol

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! jkn
    Welcome to WaMP! Lots of great painters here who are more than willing to offer advice. Like many of us, we painted when we were young(er), took a hiatus and returned to the hobby. I got back into it about 12 years ago now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Life still keeps me from painting as much as I would like, but I do what I can when I can.

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! jkn

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Picked a file set up at Lowes today...

Cool looking set!! and with the hex bits on the end ya can put them in a drill and bore holes in stuff!! or if your feeling a bit evil ya could put holes in people lol DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAAAArgh LOL

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    I thought they might be good for join lines and such... They are mostly very thin and narrow and I got the little hand held thing to attach the files to. Yes they probably could go in a drill. I'll be over in a sec and we can pierce your nose for ya!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast