Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Dpowell's RBG contest WIP

Chief Cabana

Dpowell's RBG contest WIP

Instead of finishing up my entry for the KD death contest I spent this past weekend working on my Red Box Games figure. I ordered 3 figures about a month ago (Hefty Hamish, Journeyman Gerard, and Bruiser Gus). I like Hamish and Gerard but think they would work better in a multi-figure diorama (and unfortunately I don't yet have the figures I want to go with them). So, with the deadline looming, my choice was clear... start on Bruiser Gus.

His clothing was a patchwork of different pieces so I wanted the painting to reflect that. I thought about doing stripes but I figured the checkerboard pattern would look better in the end. Here's what I came up with.

Bruiser01.jpg Bruiser02.jpg

The figure is quite close to being finished and I've very happy with how he's turning out. I want to do a little tweaking here and there (more highlights on the red for example). And I'm in the middle of building the base. I should be able to get all of that done shortly after the new year. In the meantime, let me know what you think. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated... as I said, this is for the contest so anything that can help me improve would be great!

- David

Blog Entries
    Nice work as always, David. Great color choices. I like the colorful yet muted palette. If there's anything to tweak, I might add a little more variety of color to his skin perhaps -- kinda like what you did with his face.

Love what you hav egoign on here David! This siteh kind fo PJ I had hoped I woudl see on Gus at some point!

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    ooh thats looking pretty nice
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    I chuckle a little bit when I see a guy with arms like that and then a belly like that. How do I get that sort of definition!?

Digging the PJ though, really like the pants.

Chief Cabana
    Thanks everyone. Tre, especially nice to hear that from the figures creator.

Ha, NeatPete, you're right about that. I'm guessing a lot of bicep curls and beer drinking along with very little jogging or bike riding.

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    I'm a master at the 12oz curl.

Chief Cabana
    Finally finished my entry for the Red Box Games contest. The final image should be in the gallery soon (currently pending approval). In the meantime here's a sneak peak.

Bruiser04.jpg

The base is scratch built out of balsa wood, a little bit of green stuff, and some woodland scenics grass.

Blog Entries
    What a great concept, David! A neat little scene that evokes all sorts of larger stories. The bent doorframe is an excellent touch.

Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Ha! Smashed that door right in! Nicely done! I agree with shades... brings larger stories immediately to mind.
    Overly obsessed with: Perry Samurai, Red Box Games Dwarves, Ral Partha, and Dragons.