Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What books do you read? Favourite author?

Got to admit that I read all of Preacher in the trade paperbacks as they came out. That certainly helped me keep track of the story arc and made sure I got a good balance of action and "talky" bits.
    My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    It's not strictly the talky bits that get me, it's when they have to go back every 9-10 issues to sort of bring late readers up to speed. Current monthly titles are a little better as they usually only do 5-8 issue arcs so they don't need to rehash **** all the time but I felt it was a big failing of monthly story telling at the time Preacher was being sold.

Solid, Ennis Is still one of my favs.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Yes, I've thoroughly enjoyed "The Boys", "Wormwood" and "303", but I couldn't stomach "Crossed".
    My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Just about to crack into The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett - Book 4 of the Demon Cycle. Can't wait!
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

Next up in my to read list is Solaris by Stanisław Lem and Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

Kickstarted
    Super Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Well, finished The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett, and I'm a little disappointed. The series (to me) has 4 main characters. This book relegates two of the 4 to the sidelines and gives them a couple of chapters, obviously setting up something big in book 5 but for the majority of this book, they are ignored or just mentioned in passing.

While the character development on other characters is good, it also feels quite jolty and disconnected moving between characters and places, which the first three books did slightly better IMO.

It might be that I come back to it and read it again with the others as well, but after quite a while of waiting, I wasn't massively impressed. Then again, I feel the same about Game of Thrones these days as well.
    Miniatures Completed In 2017 - 6 2016 - 24 2015 - ​18
    Eldar Challenge - Points Painted 482/4000
    Brambleten Attempts to apply paint to metal, resin and plastic with varying levels of success

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789