Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What books do you read? Favourite author?

I don't read books but listen to audio books a lot, great when you're painting or doing stuff around the house. I'm currently listenning to the 4th book of the George Martin Game of throny thing, not very original but that's bloody good!

Just remembered a good one for sci fi fans. A series of boks called saga of seven suns by kevin j anderson. 7 books in total its a huge space opera style focusing on a lot of different characters, chapters tend to flick through them with each chapter focusing on a particular character, so can be hard to follow if your not picking it up to read regularly. I often found myself going back to recap.

the story line centers around a clash of alien races in far future i am 3 books in and would give them 9.5 out of ten, would be a ten but dont want to give them out cheaply.

i would recomend checking them out online i wont go into the story line so as not to spoil it.

@ Demonn :
    thanks for the info on the worldwar set i will be putting that on my wish list
    Last edited by hobit; 17-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.

3. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Demonn
    It's not the worldwar set, Mako was talking about that set
    I was talking about another set (names of the books themselves are in the above post)
    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

5. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! hobit
    Finished Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear last night, absolutely brilliant. I stayed up until 7am to finish it! That is something I haven't done for a while. 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by hobit View Post
    Just remembered a good one for sci fi fans. A series of boks called saga of seven suns by kevin j anderson...
    I started reading that a while ago but my interest petered out after 2 or 3 books for some reason. I seem to remember thinking it was too similar to something else I'd read, or maybe to similar in little ways to lots of other things I've read!
    Are you saying Grade A, or Grey Day?

7. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Demonn,hobit
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
    It's not the worldwar set, Mako was talking about that set
    I was talking about another set (names of the books themselves are in the above post)
    Ah silly me will check them out thanks

Must admit to being a big historical fiction fan too (got the last Bernard Cornwell on the shelf ready to read!)

I'm 3/4's of way through Renegade by Robyn Young (the second in a trilogy focusing on Robert the Bruce et al).

I can also recommend the Ballista books by Harry Sidebottom (a academic turned author, still very readable), set in the 3rd C Roman Empire.

Already mentioned, Simon Scarrow tends to excellent, as is C. J. Sansom (he has a new one out). Incidentally, Hilary Mantel has just won the Man Booker prize for her Bring up the Bodies (make of that what you will)

Conn Iggulden is another contender, he does get better with every book he writes.

No as fussed on sci-fant to be honest (apart from Tolkein), but I do enjoy the Thomas Cale books by Paul Hoffman, and got quite into Jasper Kent's Thirteen Years later (which I suppose could be classed as horror)

The Classics are always good, I find - just re-read & enjoyed Bram Stoker's Dracula, & there's always a HP Lovecraft & Ramsey Campbell on the bedside table.

I also read alot of non-fiction (mainly historical), and I've always found the (sadly missed) Richard Holmes very readable.

10. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Demonn
    I read tons of sci-fi and fantasy (and some history as well)

Just recently I finished re-reading all of Iain M. Banks culture novels, and currently I dug in the horus heresy series (WH40k trash stuff but entertaining)

When it comes to fantasy, Gemmel FTW (I do have a Druss Miniature (at least I decided he is Druss)), but the creme-de-la-creme of fantasy has to be Steven Erikson with his Malazn book of the Fallen series.

Other stuff I like in no particular order:

Raymond Feist
    Anne McCaffrey
    Harry Potter stuff
    Anne Rice non glowy vampires
    Umberto Eko (Baudolino is a must read for history buffs)
    Tolkien
    Arthur Clarke
    Isaac Asimov (gotta have the classics listed)
    David Eddings
    Neil Gaiman
    Sir Terry (also creme-de-la-creme)
    first few books of wheel of time before the series becomes excruciatingly boring
    first three books of game of thrones (for my opinion on book 4 and 5 look at the two words in the line above this one)
    Trashy D&D stuff like dragonlance and Salvatore books
    Tom Clancy
    Dale Brown
    Clive Cussler
    and too many other things to list here :)
    Tesla > Edison http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk [...]" -- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

Visit my blog at: http://adary-miniatures.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    Tommie will be painting it entirely using a single hair taken from the buttocks of a Peruvian lesser spotted vampire hamster attached to his left ear lobe.

12. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Demonn,hobit

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    I'll add Robert Rankin if you want something a bit whimsical. The quote in my sig about the infamous "lady in the straw hat" is from one of his Brentford books.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I'm 3/4's of way through Renegade by Robyn Young (the second in a trilogy focusing on Robert the Bruce et al).
    Oh, yes, I've read her Crusade trilogy, set in the well... Crusades.. templars and whatnot. Would really recommend it to everyone.
    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Wow, where to begin!
    Agree with Vern, Conn Iggulden is just about the top alternative history writer, but also love George MacDonald Fraser, the original and best.
    Science fiction is all the B's: Ian Banks, Greg Bear and Stephen Baxter
    Fantasy: Joe Abercrombie (New one out this week!) Scott Lynch, Sir Terry, (although he is loosing his sense of humour) and Phil Pullman (Dark Materials would be my desert Island read)
    History: Andrew Roberts, Alisair Horne and John Keggan
    And lots of other stuff, I have a serious print habbit, never walk past a bookshop without going in...

16. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Demonn,hobit

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast