Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WAMP2012 - The afttermath

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries

WAMP2012 - The afttermath

Hi folks,
    I wanted to get some feedback from you all about the event. What you liked, what you didn't like, any suggestions to make it bigger and better? Should I do another one next year?
    I would also love to hear from those that didn't come (not those that couldn't!). What would have made you consider coming along, maybe there wasn't enough to tempt you?

If another event happened next year would you prefer a bigger event featuring traders? Would you be put off by an entry fee (maybe 2-3) something like that?
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    After the disappointment of the Maelstrom shop this year traders would be nice although hopefully they ought to have sorted themselves out by then if it's decided to hold it there again. A couple of quid to get in is nothing in the grand scheme of things really, I'd be happy to pay that, especially if it allows better facilities or more attractions.

Seminars are always a good pull if you can find somewhere suitable to hold them, talks from sculptors, manufacturers etc. With all the talent on here I'm sure we could put something together.

With both of the last two Wamps going so well they can only get better so I don't see how you can't hold one next year
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

3. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Darklord
    For me, the publishing of the judges guidelines would be really useful. Having gone from Bronze to Silver, I'd like to know exactly where I can get those extra points to go one step further. I know it's all subjective on the day,etc. but if they have a baseline to work from, it would be great to see it a few months beforehand (how do I go from 15/20 in one area to 16-17?).

As for the day, it worked really well. A couple of quid would help no doubt to pay towards the high quality awards,etc (which I've heard from some even the certificates are particularly well thought of/treasured!) and anything else that needs doing. Better catering facilities would be good for example. I know that Maelstrom can get food in as they did it for Demon Day, but I have no idea how much that would cost!

The only other problem I could think of was that there wasn't time for both seminars, so maybe be a bit tighter on timings. Can't speak on behalf of the judges, but it seemed like at one stage they had to go off and do categories on their own fairly quickly, possibly leading to bits being missed. Again, you'd be best off speaking to those involved to see if things could/need sorting in that area.

5. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Darklord
    I liked it, was a very relaxed atmosphere. No problem paying a token fee for entrance if you decide to move somewhere that would allow traders. Seminars are not something I would be fussed by but mo of the tutorials would be great. Perhaps a little ore structured to fit to timings so that one doesn't get missed out next time (can't knock tommies tutorial, it was great but wanted to do Johns too). If you have enough people attending could maybe run each one twice on the day at the same times to allow people to do one or both as required.

The shop was disappointing this year, not bad but far from brilliant. I think the best way to get more people along is to get some of the larger traders attending.

I felt the event was fantastic and the lack of stock at Maelstrom not really an issue. For me tbh I would much rather see Wamps own stock at the event. You can shop at Maelstrom any time but when was the last time we saw Orki sculpts or Brett's t-shirts up close. It would only help out our own community and that would attract me there on its own. I honestly felt the day was brilliant and to that end I wish many more had turned up to witness it! Perhaps a gaming element would draw additional people (a mini tourney). An entrance fee would not put me off at all and 3-5.00 would represent fantastic value if you thought about how much it might cost to hire Tommie for a couple of hours tutelage! The only down side for me was the train service but that's another story lol

Enlightened Wamp
    Good day for me. Regarding the fee, perhaps it could be an idea to charge a nominal fee per entry? Wouldn't want to deter entries, but equally wouldn't want to put off the casual visitor... (just a thought ;) )
    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalGamer View Post
    You people scare me

Good idea. Would give the judges more time to view the entries and prevent people 'just bulking up the numbers' of which I was completely guilty!

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Scott and Adam have a very good point. The South Cheshire Millitaire (The show I have been to most) is a massive show, 15-20 odd traders, hundreds of people through the door on the day and taking up one massive sports hall size room and another School hall sized one, it's been going 25 years. They charge 4 to get in and 50p per entry. The standard of the figures contest is pretty high and most entries are military. I reckon them have maybe 30 or 40 entries in all the figure cats combined.

With these guys a club can get a table for free, allocated on a first come first served basis and the club can do what it wants on it, demo's, displays etc, anything but trade. Traders have to pay for a pitch and the amount goes up by every six foot table the want, there is an extra fee is the trader or club needs an electricity point, think it's about 5. Gets complicated but the sooner you start advertising for traders the sooner you'll fill the spots and have some sponds for prizes etc.

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    I'd be wary of charging per entry until the overall number starts to reach the top end of what's managable and even then I'd simply limit the number of entries allowed before charging for them. The last thing you want to do at the moment is to put people off entering all their stuff. If they're anything like me they wouldn't begrudge the entry fee but with no chance of winning they won't bother shelling out to put minis in the competition.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Yes I would m8! Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast