Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WAMP2012 - The afttermath

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    thanks for all the feedback guys its really appreciated and helps make things better.

I think taking stock I will look to push the event on to something more. I have some ideas for this and one of the main things I will look at putting in place will be an organising committee so I can delegate a little!! If anyone is interested in helping out with that let me know.

Some tweaks to the judging have already been discussed to make the process a little quicker and to refine the scoring system - certainly not resting on our laurels!

keep the feedback coming and any ideas for next year

thanks folks
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

as this was my first WAMP I was quite impressed with the relaxed flow of the day, no problems checking in and plonking my bits down, the only feedback to consider would be..

One entry per cat, makes it easier for the judges to do there job and forces yourself as an individual to pick you "best" work

having a backdrop for the models some of the pictures that I took were unbalanced as the sun was shining (and thats rare in the UK!)

Name badges? I've no idea who any one was but I talked to a fair few people about random stuff!

Enlightened Wamp
    Part of the point of using an open format for judging is to encourage more than one entry in categories. That way, if you like doing busts, or cavalry, or only ladies with their boobs out, then you don't have to pick only one thing to enter.

Personally, I think it's much more egalitarian, and encourages people to paint what they like, rather than conform to specific rules criteria.
    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalGamer View Post
    You people scare me

4. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! shanerozzell

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    maybe down the line I would look at limiting the number of entries you could make per category but for now I want to encourage the numbers.

Next year will most likely see a split judging system where there would be a cut off point say 1 hour after registration opens. At this point the judges would begin scoring all those entries received up until that time. Any entries registered after that cut off point would then be put into a seperate pool. This second pool would be judged once the first pool had been done. This way the judging can begin alongside the entries coming in.

An increase in judging numbers will most likely be put in place as well.

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! shanerozzell
    Feedback time! Some has been mentioned already, but so what.

Good stuff:
    - Very open and friendly atmosphere, wampers are just as great irl as online!
    - A social get-together for food/drinks after the event for those who could! (DL is a lot more friendly than his avatar.)
    - Good contest with reknowned and well qualified judges
    - Thorough scoring on all entries
    - Great contest trophies
    - Theme activities: Speed painting - fun and informal
    - Theme activity: Painting faces tutorial - very good, these kind of tutorials really increase the event value, one of the highlights of the day for me
    - Theme activity: Weathering tutorial - good plan, too bad there was no time for it.

Improvement stuff:
    - Has been mentioned, but get together an event committee so the DLs don't have to run around doing everything
    - Good shopping opportunities must be possible at the event - unfortunate that Maelstrom was moving stock, they had very limited stuff compared to last year when I was there.
    - Traders would be great, would be good for showing off lots of mini goodies and the variety that exists in the hobby, also wamps own store should be present.
    - Has also been mentioned, but there should be an entry fee. Maybe 5? I don't know how this goes down in your parts, but the tutorial session alone was a bargain for 5. Need to find a balance, as more funds and a committee would make it easier to organize a bigger event with more tutes and stuff going on, but it should still not be so much as to scare off casual visitors
    - I think there were not many people at the event, maybe 30-50? This is good for making it a friendly event where you get a reasonably good overview and get to say hello to a lot of people ( I was too engrossed in the painting to get to say hello to very many, though..), but a bigger event would probably attract even more entries for the comp and it would be easier to get traders along. Given Wamp has 2000+ members, admittedly quite a few outside UK, I would have expected more people there at the yearly event.
    - Change of venue could be good, you'd just have to consider what location would bring the most Wampers and traders. Coming from overseas, location isn't a big deal, but closer to London would be easier. Nottingham would be good as well, for that matter. Why not put up some ideas on location etc and make a poll thread?
    - On the poll thread note, you could do this for entry fee, contest fee, location, workshops, timing, shopping etc etc. Would be a good way to gauge what people would want the most.
    - And there must be food available! I almost starved at the event...
    - What else? Could be cool to see a 45 min session/presentation by a Golden Demon winner (or similar). He or she could go through the competition piece from planning, colour choice, techniques used etc. Insight into this process would be very interesting, and I would be sure to learn a lot.

If I have more ideas, I'll throw them at you later :)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    would anyone be interested in joining a small organising committee for next year?
    I want to get a few people on board to bounce ideas of, maybe do a little research etc,

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I have already said yes and am eager to crack on. What research do you need starting?

Happy to, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    I have nothing better to do and I'm more than happy to help out.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Also happy to get involved. (I'm not sure what you have in mind but I retain the rights to my soul);)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast