Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life Miniatures Preview WWII Joachim Peiper Bust

Life Miniatures Preview WWII Joachim Peiper Bust

Life Miniatures Preview WWII Joachim Peiper Bust

From their announcement:
    Today I've started the casting of Life Miniatures' 2nd bust. I've attached some pics of the first casting.

I will start the box art painting soon and it won't be long before I post it again here.

This bust will be available earlier next month.

01.jpg
    Joachim Peiper
    1/10 resin bust, including 5parts
    Sculpted by Jun-Sik Ahn
    Box art will be painted by me, Sang-Eon Lee
    Price: TBA

04.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    Last edited by LOBO; 21-07-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Awards:
    Posting AwardTop DogSociable AwardMost ReputableFrequent Poster

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    Busts of SS war criminals, what a good idea
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    WWII is a popular subject so what can you do?

I supposed it's just as bad as Jack the Ripper from Scale75.

Quote Originally Posted by Undave View Post
    Busts of SS war criminals, what a good idea
    And what about the Napoleon busts and figs, etc? I thought you were a big historical gamer and I bet if you collect and play adversary armies like Germans, Russians, Vietcong etc you will have plenty "war criminals" there.

Why make negative complaints all the time. Just go with the flow.
    Awards:

Some people feel more strongly about figures of WW2 Germans than other periods..given WW2 is a little bit closer in history than the Napoleonic wars its understandable.

I happen to like the figure and the historical WW2 Germans in general as I think its a historical period but I think you need to allow for people to find it a little distasteful as unfortunately some people don't buy these things because they like the minis, they buy them because they like the ideology (I don't myself but I recognise the horror inflicted by the Nazi regime).

Also do you actually know who Joachim Peiper was? I suggest reading up on him if you don't. He was a convicted war criminal whose death sentence was commuted to life and was convicted of murdering POWs among other things. Conversely he also fought well in conventional battles but he was SS and all they stood for is embodied in Peiper I am afraid. I don't think you can put 'war criminal' in quotes as if he is just another German..he was a convicted war criminal after all.
    Last edited by Captain Sprout; 22-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Undave

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    I've been watching people on various forums discussing the moralities of fielding various Nazi units on the tabletop including the SS (arguably the worst of the lot.) They did some horrible things but then so did the Mongol hordes and the Vikings and the Crusaders and... well the list is endless really and nobody bats an eyelid about playing them. Wherever there is war there are going to be atrocities but I think it's only because these atrocities were committed within living memory that people have such a strong moral stance on whether it's in bad taste to collect an army of the organisation concerned.

Wargaming is so full of moral shades of grey to begin with so it's hard to pin a marker at a specific point at which harmless fun transcends into bad taste. We are after all re-enacting pain and suffering by using little models but we wouldn't want to do the same things to real people. Like it or not the Waffen SS did fight in WW2 so I don't see a reason why wargamers should pretend they didn't exist. Within the boundaries of the game they act like any other elite force, confining their actions to fighting the enemy. There aren't many games with a torture and execute prisoners phase. Similarly you can happily play a scenario where a Viking raiding party has to burn a village without staining your conscience too badly, just don't introduce an objective giving you VPs for raping the female inhabitants.

There are obviously no photographic records or realistic artwork of any Vikings or Mongols (or Jack the Ripper, as nobody knew what he looked like) so any bust or model of one is going to be a made up likeness. You could argue that they could be anybody from Sithric the Unspeakably Vile who used to shoot arrows tipped with flaming kittens and wipe his bum with the severed scalps of his enemies to Wulfram the Exceedingly Helpful who burst into people's homes, did the washing up and put their bin out for them every Thursday morning. With busts like the one above which are based on likenesses of real people you need to be a bit more circumspect with who you choose to do. Choosing to make a bust of someone carries certain connotations as does the decision to display it as a piece of artwork. Would you want a portrait of Hitler or a bust of Saddam Hussein on your wall or in your display cabinet?

Peiper is a bit of an odd case as he was convicted of war crimes involving, amongst other things, the execution of US prisoners of war. The court couldn't obtain satisfactory evidence that Peiper had ordered the massacres, Peiper himself denied that he had, but he did take responsibility for his men's actions and was sentenced to imprisonment rather than execution. He did have a pretty impressive career for a soldier though and without the tarnishing factors he would have made an ideal subject for a bust.

Personally I don't really care one way or the other, I'm not fussed about the piece itself but I don't dislike it purely because of the moral implications. There are a fair few though who feel a lot more strongly about it which makes this a bit of a controversial piece and to be honest I'd be quite interested to see how the community receives it.
    Last edited by Undave; 22-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    @ Lobo
    Awards:
    Top Referrer

Hey, I just post the news so eveyone can discuss the merits of new miniatures. I neither like or dis-like this bust and I was just drawing a comparison of Undave comment on this bust with buying lots of army's to use in historical wargames.

Not knocking wargaming as I wargame myself as you can see that in the community groups.
    Awards:

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    And a fine job you do too. I was looking to see if anyone had started a discussion about this on the Basement but it seems like nobody has noticed it yet.

I think the best thing about wargaming is that you can have fun with the tactics, action and pomp and circumstance of war whilst conveniently brushing the horrors, pain and suffering under the carpet. I find myself preferring old war movies where everyone dies in a hammed up unconvincing manner with loads of orange ketchup blood to the ultra-realistic convulsions and bleeding out that you get in modern offerings. I actually feel better about myself to know that after all the stuff I've watched I'm still not inured to that kind of human suffering.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Interestingly, nobody has commented negatively on the subject matter of this over on PlanetFigure (Which is odd because they usually do, go look at the reaction to Scale75's Jack the ripper thread). Everyone there just comments on how well done the bust is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast