Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searches

Flockwit

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries

Searches

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with the site's search function. I'm trying to find the thread about Moth's South African mini magazine but whenever I try a search for the word "magazine" I just get a white screen and nothing happens. I assume it's overloaded with the number of times Portal is mentioned, but the advanced search, which would have allowed me to see posts made by Moth, doesn't seem to be there any more so I can't narrow it down.

Any ideas?
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I think the site is having server issues this morning. I just checked and it's the same thing. It's also timed out on me twice. The host will no doubt be sorting it as we speak.

Flockwit

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Right, I've come to the firm conclusion that the search bar in it's current form is utterly useless I'm afraid. Unless the word you put in is pretty much unique on the site it comes up with several pages and if it's too common it just white screens and goes for a sulk. Part of the problem seems to be that if the word you put in forms part of another word it flags them too, if you search for view you get every instance of review as well.

Is there any way to narrow the search at all? There used to be an advanced search function where you could restrict it to thread titles or posts from a specific person or exclude words etc. I can't seem to find that now.

Admittedly the search bar isn't something I use every day but as the site continues to grow it is a rather useful tool to be able to have.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."

Flockwit

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Typical... so I find it almost immediately after posting that I couldn't find it!

In order to access the advanced version it looks like you now have to go into a post and use the link from the search thread button. It still seems to search the whole site though so I assume it works like it used to.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I think if more people use the tags when making a new post rather than the ones automatically generated by the forum software the search results would become more refined and accurate. Just have a look at the moan thread and the happy thread, there are that many tags that they cover a huge spectrum of thread criteria.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    I'll look into the search issue UNdave when I get chance mate

Flockwit

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Cheers matey.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer

Not that it changes anything, but I've also noticed how hard it is to get refined results since the forum update. I'm guessing there's a way of reducing the... enthusiasm of the auto-tagging algorithm or something, as I've spotted some really common words appear in the tag cloud.

Having the same problems with the white screen on my end.
    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
    Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
    My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
    Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    sorry about this guys, I will get it sorted first thing next week once WAMP2012 is out the way. Again my apologies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast