Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegascat's ongoing WiPs - Roll the bones!

Destroyer of Ladders Enlightened Wamp vegascat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vegascat's ongoing WiPs - Roll the bones!

After seeing the success that SteelDragon has had with his WiP thread and others like it, I'd decided to start one as I'm hoping to get more feedback on it than I have been having with my blog here.

The other reason is that I am making a push to try to get all of (that's the goal mind you, however unrealistic it may seem) my Cryx models painted for my Cryx army. The catalyst for this is an upcoming slow-grow league in our area. The point of a slow-grow league is mainly to get new people into the game and to encourage folks to paint their models or start a new faction and paint them. In this slow-grow league there is a painting modeling achievements section, to which I'm going to see if I can hit every achievement level during the four months of the league, though I want to paint much more during that timeframe. But to start with I'll be going with the acheivements. Here are the achievements and models I'm planning to paint:

Paint 3 Warcasters: Venethrax, E-Gaspy, Scaverous
    Paint a small based full unit + UA (12 models): bile thralls (there's no UA, but I'll be painting 12 of 'em)
    Paint a medium based full unit (5 models): Black Ogrun
    Paint 5 Warjacks: currently planning on painting 5 bonejacks, though I want to paint my crab-jack kit.

I'll also be painting my Wraith Engine. Though that'll only get me bonus painting points. I could really use an airbrush to get him done quicker. I don't think the Wraith Engine will be hard, just time consuming.

Pics to follow once I get everything assembled and prepped. I'm also going to list all of my Cryx models here as well. I know making a list doesn't work for everyone and can even be counter productive to some people as well, but I've used it before in the past as a great motivator. Lastly, many of these models are going to painted to a tabletop standard, but I'm going to try for a high level tabletop or higher standard if I can, especially on the warcasters which are character models.

Anyone have any advice or other comments? Please feel free to be brutually honest in your comments/criticisms, but expect me to ask you for an explanation. Thanks!
    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Good plan, Vegas - now get painting and post wip shots

Personally I find it good to have a mix of 'high quality' projects and tabletop projects going at the same time. Sometimes I don't feel like spending too long on a mini, and then it's good to have the "low-threshold" projects to work on for a while.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

As for myself I also like to do both tabletop and display. Pretty darn good at tabletop mini's, not so great at display. Will be following this vegas!
    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
    Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
    My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
    Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

I totally agree with these guys, having both on at the same time is good for me.

It's probably no coincidence that I've done no tabletop painting in the last 2 months and have also failed to finish any 'display' type pieces.

Looking forward to seeing some Cryx! :)

Blog Entries
    Guys, thanks! I'm going to try to post some of what I have assembled and prepped so far soon (tonight I hope).

@ArkMechanicus - some of this will look very familiar to you in our ladder challenges. :-)

@Spectral Dragon - As do I, when I can. However, I am a mental case! I want all my tabletop minis to be display quality, but I want to achieve that quality at tabletop standards speed. The wereshark I did for my challenge with Wag, the warcaster i did for the mini exchange, and the mini I did for my challenge with Pae and as close to display standard I have been able to achieve so far. I won't say they are sad, but I'm really striving to become better. In any case I need and want to get my Cryx army painted and on the table, so I need to find a happy medium on my tabletop standard and stop taking so long to paint them.

@Endor - will do brother! Like I said above to SD, I try to do that as well, though I have to find myself either having to force myself to stop painting tabletop and paint something nicer OR I get burned out painting tabletop and flee to 'high quality' projects. I need to make mixing in higher quality projects a habit.

Thanks again guys, and I look forward to what the future of this thread holds.

Yet another one here that likes to have a few display pieces on the go as well as some tabletop stuff. I find that actually finishing stuff is the best motivation to paint more because I love the sense of achievement.

Cranking out the tabletop stuff gets that feeling and helps me keep going with the more time consuming stuff!

I'm sure you've seen Forward Kommander, you can track your collection on there and it will tell you percentage painted too.

Looking forward to the pictures
    Are you saying Grade A, or Grey Day?

Blog Entries
    Good luck, VC! I'm glad to see another WIP thread "enter the catalog". I'd like to see more of them here on WAMP.

I must admit, my WIP is oft neglected. I just don't get the time to document stuff as much as i'd like these days.

Good luck with it VC. I look forward to seeing what you've got for us. :)

Blog Entries
    Well folks, here is my first set of models mostly prepped.

First shot is the group shot:
    Proof.jpg

Second shot is of my Bile Thralls with some minor conversions:
    Proof-2.jpg

Third is the three Warcasters:
    Proof-3.jpg

Last (for now) is my Wraith Engine:
    Proof-4.jpg

Nice Vegas! One thing: when you post pics here on the forum, double click on them to adjust the size.

Really looking forward to that wraith engine.

@Spectral Dragon - As do I, when I can. However, I am a mental case! I want all my tabletop minis to be display quality, but I want to achieve that quality at tabletop standards speed. The wereshark I did for my challenge with Wag, the warcaster i did for the mini exchange, and the mini I did for my challenge with Pae and as close to display standard I have been able to achieve so far. I won't say they are sad, but I'm really striving to become better. In any case I need and want to get my Cryx army painted and on the table, so I need to find a happy medium on my tabletop standard and stop taking so long to paint them.
    Me too on wanting display quality in my tabletop gaming figures! What I have been noticing is that as people have been giving me advice on the forum and I have been learning how to do things I start learning to use display techniques on tabletop minis. Iacton once told me that you should focus on learning a technique first, then you focus on learning how to do it faster. This led me to learn feather blending, which is why I only need as little as 3 layers on some of my models with high contrast. Basically you learn how much paint to put in the brush, and how lightly to apply pressure from brush to model, as well as how to angle the brush during the stroke. took some time to learn but my painting speed increased tenfold.
    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
    Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
    My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
    Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast