Quote Originally Posted by Undave View Post
I did notice that the lamp on the left seemed to give a larger patch of light on the fabric than the one on the right. If it's lop sided your camera may try and correct I suppose... or maybe it makes no difference. It might be worth picking up a couple of cheapo desk lamps just for taking photos. I got mine for about £3.00 each from the bargain basement place and they do a grand job. Well I say a grand job, my photos aren't exactly first class but they provide a nice uniform amount of light which is all you can ask for really

Edit: just looking at the photo Shane put on his post below I can immediately see that the left side has far more light on it than the right. If you do get some more lamps don't do what I did and buy screw-ins when all your bulbs have a bayonet caps...
I might need to do that. The lamps I use are cheapies, but each is a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by shanerozzell View Post
Ok Just done some post production on the wizard, not much different from yours but the yellow is a tiny bit less orange.

Attachment 18393

There are a few things you could look at. The first is the hazing of bits of the miniature. This happens when the depth of field is too shallow for the miniature. Also by moving the camera away from the mini you're giving the auto focus more to work with. I would also lower it a tad to help with composition of the mini and don't crop them so tight for your final montage image.

Try a few without the top light and with these suggestions applied then post up the results.
It looks nice! Thanks! I'm going to find another place where I can take pictures without little hands messing up everything. Right now in the current spot, my tripod can't move back any as it's right up against the bed and dresser. I'll definitely try out your idea when I start painting again and post up the results here. I also noticed the hazing and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why it was doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
For what it's worth, your original images are way darker than mine. I don't think either approach is right or wrong -- ultimately it's the end result that counts. I've been working on the theory that it's easier to start lighter and then to darken in post-processing. I assume post-processing can't reconstitute a relatively black area into the original. However, the miracles of software (or at least Picasa and Elements) continue to amaze me. Anyway, I figure a lighter original gives the software more information to work with. Since your lamps are already close in, you might want to play with the light meter on the camera. Again, these are just ideas from another person's different approach, so these ideas might not fit your tastes -- experiment and see what works best for you.

Here's a link to a tutorial that shows a miniature photographed across the entire range of a camera's light meter.
Yeah, they're darker because I keep my shutter speed so low, so it's pretty exposed. I'll have to try out going on the lighter side, maybe that'll help. I'll definitely be experimenting when I have the time! Thanks for that link, as well, it's very informative!