Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: Spaghetti Western meets Chinese Wuxia

Spaghetti Western meets Chinese Wuxia

http://intothefarwest.com/

I found this while browsing some ebooks. They already have some of the fiction and artwork up, and plan to do a tabletop RPG. Personally, I love the concept of the things they are blending together.

Imagine: A fantasy world, but not one based on Medieval/Dark Ages European culture and myth, but rather one based on the tropes of the Spaghetti Western and Chinese Wuxia. Add steampunk elements. Mix well.
    A fantasy world thatís The Gunslinger meets Storm Riders meets Deadwood meets Afro Samurai meets The Wild Wild West meets Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon meets Django meets Brisco County meets House of Flying Daggers and more.
    A fantasy world thatís explored through a constantly-updated website, a tabletop role-playing game, a web series, artwork, fiction, comics and much, much, more. A fantasy world that is shaped by its own fan community.
    This is Far West.
    http://frogimus.deviantart.com/

Current WIPs: 134 Undead (Mantic) + 46 Elves (Mantic) **the last plastic minis I plan to ever do**
    Next WIP: Infinity Bakunin

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Add some sci-fi and you've got Firefly.

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    Not exactly the new concept it appears to be trying to make itself out to be in the spin but it sounds like there could be some potential. Having "fans" dictate what goes into a system's background is almost always going to end badly for the simple reason that everyone wants to include what they think is cool and everyone has different ideas about exactly what that is. If you aren't careful your original plan gets pulled every which way until you end up with something as eclectic and shapeless as the "background" to D&D.

"So we have a world of warriors and magic with Barbarians, Elves, Dwarves and loads of monsters. What else shall we put in?"
    "Ninjas are cool, lets have ninjas!"
    "Ok, I don't suppose we really have to explain where they come from but they are cool so yeah, ninjas."
    "Oooh how about lizardy things who don't seem to have any grasp on technology even though they live right next to civilised societies and guys who look like Cthulhu and suck your brains out?"
    "Yeah I suppose."
    "And elf type guys who come from another dimension!"
    "Right..."
    "It's got to have living steam powered robot box men with wings and floating eyeballs with lots of other little eyeballs on stalks so it can see up it's own arse!"
    "Er..."
    "Owls with the heads of bears and bears with the heads of owls and giant beavers with no heads at all and rabbits with beaks and giant miniature space hamsters and every normal type of creature but in a dire version and lime jello cubes that eat you and giant vampire frogs and weird disembodied heads with wings (possibly owls) and no digestive tract whatsoever and man eating beanbags and owliphants and sentient facial warts and elves with spiders for bottoms and treasure chests that aren't really treasure chests but are really owls!"
    "Stop now."
    "And Gazebos..."

Sorry, bit of a rant there... where was I? I suppose you can listen to what folks have to say and cherry pick the best bits but somebody really needs to maintain overall control of the fluff to ensure a direction and continuity. I'm sure they know what they're doing but I hope they don't end up getting sidetracked with bizarre rubbish. Of course until they come up with something tangible it's all still just a pipe dream. I'll reserve judgement until the first minis are on sale.

I hope they aren't anything to do with owls...
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Sounds exactly like the Deadlands game from Pinnacle Games (and the Doomtown CCG based on it from AEG).

I don't see it, other than the "western" part. Deadlands seems more akin to SoTR in a western setting. Far West doesn't seem to have the magic or horror elements - more like the cheesy good guy vs bad guy of the 60's/70's westerns and wuxia.

Have downloaded "Tales of the Far West" to my nook and will give it a read as soon as I finish the trilogy I'm reading
    http://frogimus.deviantart.com/

Current WIPs: 134 Undead (Mantic) + 46 Elves (Mantic) **the last plastic minis I plan to ever do**
    Next WIP: Infinity Bakunin

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    There was an entire boxed supplement thing for Deadlands dealing with the Chinese and the San Francisco maze. I've got it somewhere but unfortunately I never got chance to use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Maze-Deadlands-BOX-SET/dp/1889546089

The Chinese angle might not have been a particularly big part of Deadlands but, as it was one of the few bits and bobs I managed to get before it was ruined by the D20 version, I'm probably a bit biased.

Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."