PDA

View Full Version : Avatars of War - Results!

Darklord
18-05-2009, 05:25 PM
The mans no slouch and our special guest judge Supervike has delivered his verdict. so without further ado your winner is:

DARKLORD!
with his Beastman Lord

2nd place goes to Coneman with his Goblin King

and finally bringing in 3rd place is Schlunz with his Goblin Hero

a big well done to the winners
Darklord takes home Arena DeathMatch rulebook (signed by Felix) + 3 miniatures
Coneman bags himself Arena DeathMatch rulebook + 2 miniatures
and schlunz gets 3 miniatures.

can you pm me your name, address and email please guys

Heres what Supervike had to say:

My rationale. This was way tougher than I thought it would be. I chose Darklord over Coneman for the number one spot, but only just. I think the incredible basing that Darklord did was enough to just edge out the Goblin King. I even considered calling it a tie! Schlunz pulled in for a very competitive third place.

You painters really put some serious effort into presenting your minis, so I thought it only fair that I at least take some time to comment on them. Avatars of War is an incredible line of minis, and it really makes judging a complete blast.

ShanerozzedII
AOW Dwarf Hero. Love the skin tones, and you’ve done really solid metallics. The blue blood is interesting, but a little bit unconvincing. Love the base as well.

Paintdork
Dire Wolf
You’ve got yourself a fierce looking wolf! The color is great, but I think a bit more contrast would have helped. The base is wonderful though…really fits the subject.

Darklord
Beastman Lord. Well, what can I say? What a fantastic entry. The OSL for the magical runes works well, and the base is fantastic. I really enjoy the subtleties of the flesh tones. One small complaint, so your head doesn’t swell too much, is that the face could use more focus…perhaps more highlighting to make it become the focal point.

Nico fig
Goblin hero. The base is fantastic! Really feels like the mini is part of it, and not just ‘on’ it. I like the naturalistic tones, and the flesh is convincingly ‘goblin’. A few rough spots, the metals, the hair/fur, and that mushroom.

Nico fig
Dwarf Hero
Again with the cool basing! This one has some very good NMM, especially the gold effects. The contrast of the flesh isn’t quite as strong. The photo and the background really makes me feel the majesty of the dwarf. It’s a fun setting, and a solid looking mini.

Scott Radom
Goblin King.
The flesh is really well done. Especially on the arm holding those heads…almost looks like ‘frog skin’. The dark and gritty feel works well for this mini. The fur cape is a bit of a let down, however.

Schlutz
Goblin Hero
Wow! Great pop with the NMM. The bright contrast works well with the ‘over the top’ sculpting style that this line has. The back of the mini doesn’t quite have the same impact, but still solid. Well done.

Le sage88
Dark Elf Hero
It’s a pretty dark photo, and unfortunately, that is all I have to go on. The cape could use a bit more contrast, as it all blends together. The face and flesh tones are well done. The sparse base is an interesting choice.

Le sage88
Orc hero
The large highlights work well on the flesh, but it doesn’t work as well on the armor parts. Also where the sparse base seemed to work with the other entry, it doesn’t here as well. Still, it’s a fine mini.

Coneman
Goblin king.
Oh man, that skin is so well done! It looks positively pinchable, (not that I would advise that) Certainly one of my favorites….The contrast, the metals, the base, everything just plain works here. I can almost smell his fetid breath (no, wait that was me) Well done.

Neat Pete
Dwarf Lord:
Those Tattoos are wonderful! You’ve really captured the ‘angry little man (dwarf)’ look that goes so well with those Dwarf slayers…The base is nice and works well to create a setting.

Schlunz
Dwarf Lord of Chaos.
Another fantastic entry! I prefer the goblin to this one, but only slightly. The NMM is particularly well done, as is the gem work. He is dark, dreary and altogether a grouchy little b*****d!

Arctica
Goblin Hero.
Oh nice! I really love the black metal look. That looks fantastic! Great job on those metal parts. I think you get edged out by Schlunz’ version, but just barely. This works on so many levels. I would call this the ‘honorable mention’ miniature.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to judge. And thanks for making it rather tough on me by having such a great, close competition!

I would also like to add thanks to everyone who entered, that was a great contest with fantastic entries which cant help but show off the great minis that Avatars of War produce. I know i will be buying a LOT more now!

To that note i would like to thanks Avatars Of War for their great support in running this contest, i hope they like the entries as much as i have. A special thanks to Ignasi Ferrer for helping organise it

Once again i must add that if anyone has a problem with me entering this contest then please say so. I have no decision in judging at all but if it looks dubious then i am happy to relinquish my prize

ScottRadom
18-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks Vike! That was quick!

I don't think there's a problem with you entering. The quality of your work is great, and you really had to push to win this one.

Well done to all the entrants. Some really, really well done stuff. I really wanna place in one of these comps, I gotta up my game!

Thanks to DL for putting it together, and Vike for judging. Super quick results!

Looking forward to the next one!

Vern
18-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Phew! Supervike's no slouch!

Congratulations to the deserved winners, and to everyone who took part - I good contest (even though I dnf)

Schlunz
18-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Whooo, these were quick results! Thanks Vike! And i am really glad that i was not the one who had to make those decisions due to several real great entries. I think everyone has done awesome works on those great minis.

And a special congratulation to Darklord! No problem for me with you entering the comp. I think your mini deserves this result. Maybe, considering just the paintjob there were several people at one level but your base is awesome, it makes the mini stand out!... when i saw this mini the first thing i thought was "damn, thats the base i wanna build for future minis" :)

It was a nice competition and i really enjoyed painting two more Avatars. And what is much more important... i found WAMP and would like to stay here, with nice talks, improving my skills and more comps and ladder matches to come.

ScottRadom
18-05-2009, 05:54 PM
That's what it's about Schlunz! Your entry was very good as well!

RogerB
18-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Congratulations to everyone.

Darklord
18-05-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks Guys,
i think there were a few minis that could have taken a place. im glad i didnt have to judge it. thanks Jim
@ Schlunz glad you like the base - it was my first time doing one of those. i just got 5 new plinths today so i dont have to scratchbuild so much next time!
Glad you like it here - it is all about getting people painting here - no matter what level - everyone helps each other out and im glad your sticking around as i like your work

Boris
18-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Congrats to everyone. Wish I'd had the time to squeeze one of these in - but those models are too nice to rush.

NeatPete
18-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Grats everyone! Great showing of some nice stuff.
Thanks Vike for those quick results in a tough field!
Thanks to DL for setting this up, and AOW for sponsoring it.

I think you deserved the win DL, Nothing dodgy from my point of view... Grats to the other winners and all entrants. Fun stuff, Lets do it again!!! Someone will have to let me know how that game is!

arctica
18-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Congratulations to all :) this was a fun one for sure. Next time i'll post a little later ;) so you all don't touch up on your minis and beat my socks off lol. Still very well deserved wins by all and a good effort to all who entered it was a tough one to call for sure. Im glad i wasn't voting on this one ;)

Coneman
18-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Well done to all entrants and congrats to the winners.
Thanks to Darklord for organising this and the other comps, thanks also to AOW for the prizes.
Thanks also to supervike for the quick results.

Tonbo
19-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Good job to the top three and great stuff from the rest of you.

lizcam
19-05-2009, 08:37 AM
WooHoo!!! Good job guys. I'm proud of all of you!

Smylo
19-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Congratulations to the winners and the rest of entries, there are several paintjobs, all of them really cool :o Good work !!!

Ignasi Ferrer
Studio Manager
www.avatars-of-War.com

Darklord
19-05-2009, 01:16 PM
thanks ignasi - for all your support

RogerB
19-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I second that, thanks!

supervike
19-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Great contest!

Having unbelievably cool minis to start with is not a bad idea either!!!

Hinton
19-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Well done and congratulations! Definitely some fantastic work.

Nameless
20-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Congratulations to winners! I'd probably choose other entries than Supervike though :)

it's a pity I didn't manage to finish mine. I wouldn't have placed anyway, but at least I'd have another mini painted. We'll see if I have enough motivation now to finish my paintjob.

I'll try to post some comments today, didn't have time to do it earlier.

EDIT: comments posted :)

Darklord
31-07-2009, 01:40 PM
finally received my goodies this morning - grabbed the chaos lord the dark elf queen and the necromancer and a very nice copy of the rulebook with a personal message from Felix, so very pleased (its a lovely book btw).
already looking forward to next years contest!

Coneman
31-07-2009, 02:12 PM
OO OO OO that means mine will be here shortly, I am hanging out to see the Chaos Lord and Ork in the metal.
Looking forward to seeing the rulebook too, I dug out the Arena Works files the other day and got a pile of cardstock so I can build an arena to give it a whirl.

Darklord
31-07-2009, 03:33 PM
i dont play but im quite tempted to start!

ScottRadom
31-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I may have to pick up the game. I joined the AoW foum as well since Felix always gives me nice complimentary comments on my AoW figs. It's pretty cool to get feedback form the man himself!

I'm gonna kick ass in the next AoW paintoff!

Darklord
31-07-2009, 06:17 PM
keep dreaming random!!

Coneman
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Got my goodies today :)

Top quality book and miniatures :D

Darklord
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
nice one - well deserved mate