PDA

View Full Version : Studio McVey 2012 Contest

Darklord
14-01-2012, 11:32 AM
They are Back!!

After a brief hiatus it's time to get the Wamp Specials back underway and we have some cracking contests this year and we shall start as we mean to go on with a Wamp favourite returning for another year. It gives me great pleasure to announce the first sponsor for this year is.......

Yep the Golden Couple of mini's are back again to tempt you with some lovely Studio McVey goodness! Last years contest was a cracker and this year theres a brand new element with the launch of Sedition Wars offering up more choice than ever.

Well if you need an excuse to enter (though I doubt you do!) how about some lovely prizes?

Prizes

1st Place: 75 credit @ Studio McVey and your entry featured on the cover of Portal Magazine
2nd Place 40 credit @ Studio McVey
3rd Place 25 credit @ Studio McVey

Has that got your interest? Well maybe your still undecided so how about another apple to tempt you with?

How about this: Place an order with Studio McVey during the contest and quote: WAMP-SM to receive 10% off your order.

Thought that may interest you!!

Deadline:

Deadline for entries is: 24th March 2012 4pm GMT

Supporters deadline is: 31st March 2012 4pm GMT (for details on becoming a supporter: Supporters (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/Supporter.php) )

Rules:

You must be a Wamp Member to participate. Membership is free and you may register here. (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/register.php)
You may enter as many times as you like but each entry may only submit one photograph so if you need more angles it MUST be a montage.
Images must be no larger than 800 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high. (It is your responsibility to check this).
any additional photographs of that entry will be removed.
All entries must be new work. (New work is defined as any entry not previously displayed on-line in a completed state (You MAY enter pieces which have been shown as a Work In Progress (WIP)).
You give Wamp (including Portal (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1) Magazine) and Studio McVey permission to use your pictures for publicity (but you do retain ownership).
You may post pictures of WIP or final shots both here and elsewhere.
Judging will be conducted by Studio McVey
Submissions must be posted to the Contest Gallery (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=mypictures) You must make sure you select the correct contest option in the contest select box either during upload (if using the basic uploader) or via edit pictures after upload
Credit is eligible at www.studiomcvey.com (http://www.studiomcvey.com)
All Studio McVey products are eligible (including Sedition Wars)

Iacton
14-01-2012, 12:11 PM
You bugger! :biggrin:

Darklord
14-01-2012, 12:15 PM
You bugger! :biggrin:

problem?

Sparks
14-01-2012, 01:53 PM
w00t! shame i can't chuck in my Sedition wars comp entry, Mike told me I had to enter it in their forum first :(

Iacton
14-01-2012, 01:56 PM
problem?

Too much shiny... :throttle:

I have Salute entries to sort out!

Darklord
14-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Too much shiny... :throttle:

I have Salute entries to sort out!

I can make you ineligible if that helps?!!!

Lyn
14-01-2012, 03:10 PM
YAY!!! I have a couple of beautiful Studio McVey pieces that I just might have to dig out of my huge plastic tub of my collection of minis to paint! :coool!:

NeatPete
14-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Can I borrow someone's time machine please? I'm currently in 2012 and would like to enter this contest.

Chameleon
18-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Gah- Salute or this, Salute or this- the decisions!!!!!

Joek
18-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Both Sue. Both. You're far too good to just do the one :p

Iacton
18-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm committed to my main Salute project for now, but I do want to do a single mini too, so maybe a bit of McLovin will still happen... :biggrin:

NeatPete
18-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Mclovin!!!

Darklord
18-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Paint a McVey mini for Salute - bish bash bosh jobs a good un, see ya!

Sister_Lucy
18-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Fun! I'll have to check my local game shop and see what they have in stock. :D

Sparks
18-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Paint a McVey mini for Salute - bish bash bosh jobs a good un, see ya!

That's my plan! Not even sure if I'm going to Salute mind, but it means I'd have one ready!

Darklord
19-01-2012, 10:54 AM
That's my plan! Not even sure if I'm going to Salute mind, but it means I'd have one ready!

you entered the contest for the free tickets?

Sparks
21-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Just did :redface:

Chameleon
27-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Ok, right I've decided to do something for this. I'd made a base for Salute, but have now decided to put a McVey fig on it instead- woohoo! This is the first painting I will have done since Xmas- as they say on Miranda 'such fun'!!

Darklord
27-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Thats great news sue, really digging your recent work, McVey stuff suits your style too

Iacton
15-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Little added incentive to joining in with this contest peeps - LINKY (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?10352-PB-Best-of-British-Vol.-2-McVey-McLovin&p=165703#post165703) blackglove

Darklord
24-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Ok folks, this contest will see us trialing the new gallery for contest hosting. To enter your piece simply upload to the new gallery as normal. You will find a new option in the photo details, simply select the Studio mcVey option. This option can be selected either during upload (if you use the basic uploader) or afterwards by clicking 'edit' in the 'my pictures' area

Hopefully this will work!!

Nord
24-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Just ordered my first ever McMini to enter this, after permission granted by Mrs Nord. Looking forward to receiving the figure, they have a massively good reputation and it will be nice to see for myself.

Chameleon
27-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm well on my way for this - it's unusual for me to be this far into a mini with still so much time to go!!! I am going to attempt some freehand though so it could all still go horribly wrong!!

AndyS
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
How can I find the gallery for this? I uploaded an entry and have no idea if it's in the right place. Am I the only entry so far?

Nord
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
How long is delivery (UK) usually? I am pretty impatient, been waiting a whole week! I would love to make a start on this over the weekend.

kdlynch
01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
@AndyS: There's not a specific gallery... all entries for this comp go into the new gallery... just make sure to check the 'Studio McVey' under the competition dropdown menu when you're entering info about your pic. I'm requesting the entries be easier to search through, that should come along soon. :)

@Nord: delivery where to where? UK -> UK? UK -> US? Somewhere -> UK? I know when I got my last pkg in from overseas to the US, it stayed 8 days in customs (much to my worry).

AndyS
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
So to view entries we have to search for manufacturer then? I hope I'm entered! lol

kdlynch
01-03-2012, 08:18 PM
if'n it makes you feel better, i do see bearclaw by you there. :)

warhammergrimace
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
May have to enter this one

Chameleon
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I think I'm being a bit thick on the gallery front - so I can see all of the studio McVey figs when I select that option, but none of them have dates next to them - how do I know if it is something that's been specifically entered into the comp?

Darklord
06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I think I'm being a bit thick on the gallery front - so I can see all of the studio McVey figs when I select that option, but none of them have dates next to them - how do I know if it is something that's been specifically entered into the comp?

I' still in the process of the set up. Once done you will be able to filter by specific competition.

Chameleon
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Ah, ok - fair enough!!

Darklord
13-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Just to give you a nudge if you have uploaded an entry to the gallery. You need to make sure you select the studio mcvey option in the contest option on your photo details in the gallery. Currently there are no entries showing!

AndyS
13-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I know I put mine in competitions. There was a drop down with studio Mcvey and avatars of war. I chose studio mcvey. There must be a problem with the system. I can find my entry if I search for studio Mcvey in the gallery. Can it be moved please?

Darklord
13-03-2012, 02:36 PM
ok ill look into it mate

AndyS
13-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Cheers!

Darklord
13-03-2012, 03:27 PM
the contest wasnt selected as Studio McVey (manufacturer was but not contest) dont know if that was you missed it or the system but I have added it now anyway

Valloa
13-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Weird, the contest option was certainly there (and selected) when I uploaded.

Darklord
13-03-2012, 04:11 PM
it may just be teething problems. is the first time the new gallery has been used for this so could be a code issue or something. I will be double checking stuff as we go along but keep me updated on any issues you find with this

AndyS
13-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna say system. As I'm pretty sure contest was first and I was only offered 2 choices! Could explain why you've had no entries!

Thanks for sorting it. I'll have another to go on so we'll see how that goes!

Chameleon
14-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Ok, so I'm assuming by this you've now sorted it so that you can filter by competition? If so, how exactly do I do that? I can still only see normal McVey minis, not specific comp ones.

Darklord
14-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Ok, so I'm assuming by this you've now sorted it so that you can filter by competition? If so, how exactly do I do that? I can still only see normal McVey minis, not specific comp ones.

Go to advanced search, select the contest option and choose McVey and there you go.
I am in the process of setting up links in the main menu so you can access each current contest directly. I am also trying to set it so you can rate through a contest gallery like the main rating area but thats taking more to set up

Darklord
17-03-2012, 12:36 PM
1 Week to go!

Orki
17-03-2012, 12:39 PM
There's a McVey contest running?

Buggrits. I missed this one (or just totally forgot :redface:).

Sparks
17-03-2012, 01:16 PM
You're a supporter now aren't you? Got two weeks left :D

Orki
17-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah! Hmm, now you've got me thinking... :confused:

Dammit! Still not enough time! We'll see though...

Nameless
20-03-2012, 01:34 PM
1 Week to go!
lovely, maybe it will make me finish a gift I'm painting for my friend

MamaGeek
20-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm not entering, but I want to look at the entries, and I'm having a hard time. The old gallery was (in my opinion) easier to navigate. When I click the link, it just takes me to my photos. I tried clicking the Contests link beside the new Gallery, but it just took me back to the Contests forum. I can't figure out how to view all the entries.

Can someone help, please?

Darklord
20-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Go to advanced search, select the contest option and choose McVey and there you go.
I am in the process of setting up links in the main menu so you can access each current contest directly. I am also trying to set it so you can rate through a contest gallery like the main rating area but thats taking more to set up

there you go Mama

Darklord
20-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I have added a direct link on the menu to make it easier

Orki
20-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Actually, that's a good idea. Taking it one step further, I'd like to suggest that you could add another heading under the left hand menu titled "Current Contests", Under which there would be links to all currently active contests.

This would make it very quick and easy to both view and submit to the relevant gallery section I feel (on the assumption that there is an upload link presented in the comp section you wish to enter of course).

Darklord
20-03-2012, 04:17 PM
thats the exact plan Orki, just gotta find some time to set aside to do it!

MamaGeek
20-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Thank you!

Sparks
20-03-2012, 09:30 PM
@Orki & Brett- I assumed that was the plan for that menu. Up until now, I've just been doing what MG's been doing and then going all crosseyed!

Obviously too lazy to ask or do anything about it though!

Nameless
22-03-2012, 11:24 PM
wow, not many entries so far...kinda expected more...

megazord_man
22-03-2012, 11:34 PM
wow, not many entries so far...kinda expected more...

True, but some nice pjs thus far. I'm going to be adding mine one this weekend.

Sparks
23-03-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm trying my best to get my version of Pan done! I expect a mad onrush towards the end of the supporters deadline- there's at least 4(?) entries I'm aware of people working on. Need to find time next week to a)paint, b)photograph it, c) actually finish making and sanding the base, d) pouring the resin and letting it set so I can put more on, e) sculpt the rotting mouldy log...damn. Just realised this probably won't get finished!!! :tongue:

Chameleon
23-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Yea, I think there'll be a last minute flurry, especially as I think quite a few people on here now have supporter status. I for one and definitely intending to enter! Just have the small matter of finishing my entry...

@Sparks - I'm pretty sure you'll get your little fella finished on time- he's looking good so far :rolleyes:

Nameless
23-03-2012, 02:54 PM
well, I've just uploaded mine. at least I hope I have, it was the first time I used the new gallery :)
anyway, I won't win anything with this one, but thanks a lot for making me finish this long time WIP finally :)
good luck to all!

Darklord
23-03-2012, 03:00 PM
well, I've just uploaded mine. at least I hope I have, it was the first time I used the new gallery :)
anyway, I won't win anything with this one, but thanks a lot for making me finish this long time WIP finally :)
good luck to all!

always like seeing your stuff nameless, you do nice pieces

Nameless
23-03-2012, 03:03 PM
why thank you... problem is I rarely have much success in painting contests, and this specific piece was more like "get it done!" than "here's a winner!" ;)
EDIT: which is shame, because I could really use a voucher on that new dino chick :)

anyway, how long does it usually take to verify a new pic?

kdlynch
23-03-2012, 03:52 PM
anyway, how long does it usually take to verify a new pic? Microseconds, once I check the list. lol. I check it throughout the day at random times (though slower on weekends) to see if there's any new submissions.

Sparks
23-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Race ya then Sue :tongue:

See you somewhere around March the 31st, 2 minutes before the deadline :cool:

Darklord
24-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Supporters you have 1 week to go

XUR
24-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Phew !!
Completed my entry just in time ... I think I posted in the right gallery this time -XD-

Wanted to have a new try on an industrial setting la Aliens for quite some time now, felt the Sedition Wars background was perfect for this.

pae
27-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm making better progress on my potential entry than I thought I would (considering I didn't start it until this past Friday). I might have something in there yet. :-)

Sparks
27-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Real life is definitely going to get in the way of this one. Sister's gone into labour, and end of term just takes too much out of the evenings getting everything planned! Might be able to speed paint him on Saturday as the gf's mates are round for the day, fingers crossed!

Darklord
29-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Less than 48 hours to go folks get em in

Chameleon
30-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Finishing touches going on mine this evening :)

Nord
30-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I posted an entry but it does not appear in the gallery. It's listed as pending approval, what does that mean?

pae
30-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Just have a little bit left to do. And by a little bit, I mean a few hours. :06:

kdlynch
30-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I posted an entry but it does not appear in the gallery. It's listed as pending approval, what does that mean?

Just means I hadn't checked the auth page yet... it's in now. :)

The list will be checked before & just after the deadline, so no entries will be missed. :)

sublimebrushwork
31-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Real life has really done a number on me over the last couple of weeks. Am gonna be up all night in an attempt to get this done but I'm still not sure I'll be done on time. Here's hoping...

Sparks
31-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Okay, looking like mine's going to creep in! Just spent a bonus two hours or so on Pan, so now it's just a few hours of basework and a battle with my camera! Good luck to anyone else who's in a similar position:06:

pae
31-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Mine's in...just waiting for approval. :-)

XUR
31-03-2012, 03:27 AM
I've been in the very same situation recently (what we call in french "une charette"), so I know exactly how you must feel.
Hold on, friends !!

Chameleon
31-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Mine's in too! Woohoo, done! Good luck to all who have entered!

sublimebrushwork
31-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, I'm not gonna make it in time, unfortunately. there's still a couple of hours' work to do and, as I've been working pretty much solid on this one and my entry for CMON's Dark Age competition pretty much solid since 7 o'clock last night I am losing the power of sight. :06:
I don't want to rush the job or balls it up so I'm calling it on this one and going to bed for a couple of hours-I'll finish it tonight and post it up anyway. and there's always Mcvey Mclovin' over on Platoon Britannica so the work won't go to waste. :biggrin:
Good luck all who entered-some really great stuff on show.

Darklord
31-03-2012, 05:04 PM
deadline has passed folks HOWEVER as i cant sort the polls until Monday you can have until monday morning to get any failed entries in. no set time for this but if you have just missed it gives you a day and a bit to try for more.

Chameleon
31-03-2012, 05:09 PM
There's a poll? Not that I mind either way but your first post said studio mcvey would do the judging?

Darklord
31-03-2012, 05:11 PM
There's a poll? Not that I mind either way but your first post said studio mcvey would do the judging?

yeah McVey are judging, sorry for the confusion. I wont be able to get the ball rolling until Monday either way!!

Chameleon
31-03-2012, 05:15 PM
That's fair enough- I just got a bit confused :)

sublimebrushwork
31-03-2012, 05:24 PM
deadline has passed folks HOWEVER as i cant sort the polls until Monday you can have until monday morning to get any failed entries in. no set time for this but if you have just missed it gives you a day and a bit to try for more.
Ohhh sweeeet! Thanks DL!!!

Orki
31-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Real life has really done a number on me over the last couple of weeks.

Same here. :P No chance for a last minute rush though here. >.<

Good luck to all the entrants!

Sparks
31-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Good luck sublime, get some sleep and then back at the painting desk!

Chameleon
31-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Yes, most definite good luck subby. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

dicker_koenig
31-03-2012, 05:37 PM
So, did I get this right: If I become a supporter and upload an image, I can still enter? :)

Chameleon
31-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I guess so?

Brett - the finished work section has made me realise that my photos (although perfect on my laptop) are too dark for most people. Does the extension mean that I should be able to remove the current dark pics and upload some lighter ones?

kdlynch
31-03-2012, 06:51 PM
aye, dk, that's allowed.

kdlynch
31-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I guess so?

Brett - the finished work section has made me realise that my photos (although perfect on my laptop) are too dark for most people. Does the extension mean that I should be able to remove the current dark pics and upload some lighter ones?

I see no issues with that as long as the new ones are uploaded by the deadline (& old ones removed)

Chameleon
31-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Cheers :) New ones uploaded and old ones deleted :)

pae
02-04-2012, 02:59 AM
A little more work on mine, and my images are updated. Just need approval again. Thanks. :-)

sublimebrushwork
02-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Aaaand finally(!) she is done and uploaded. Worth every minute of work. What a fabulous miniature to paint. I hope you all like her. Thanks for all your support, guys.
Now, onto my PFP stuff.
After some sleep...

Darklord
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Right folks we are all done. Studio McVey will shortly begin judging and I shall let you know the results when I get them.

Thanks to everyone thats entered some cracking pieces in there,
If you wish to view the entries or maybe rate or comment on them you can find them all here:

Studio McVey Contest (http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/index.php?do=search&search=yes&photo_contest=1)

Nord
02-04-2012, 09:23 PM
My entry is currently rated 6.6 :frown: Yesterday it was at 7.3, which was depressing enough, but today somebody must have given it a 6. I am not a Golden Daemon winner by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to ask if my entry is really that poor? I was pretty pleased with my effort, but after this I am now just pissed off. Can the person who rated me a 6 please explain what is so bad about my efforts.

Darklord
02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
My entry is currently rated 6.6 :frown: Yesterday it was at 7.3, which was depressing enough, but today somebody must have given it a 6. I am not a Golden Daemon winner by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to ask if my entry is really that poor? I was pretty pleased with my effort, but after this I am now just pissed off. Can the person who rated me a 6 please explain what is so bad about my efforts.Mat

e theres nothing wrong with your entry, dont stress over it . I personally think its around a 7 (which is what its on now anyway) when theres only a few votes the score fluctuates rapdily. Also dont forget its tougher scoring here than say cmon. a 6-7 here is pretty good, plenty of mine are in that range

Chameleon
02-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Yes, I have to agree with DL - the voting on here tends to be much lower than on CMON - a 6-7 here seems to be the score for a nicely painted, accomplished mini. I generally seem to get a good point or so higher on CMON compared with what I get in this gallery.

Don't let it get you down - I'm sure you'll find the score settles out to be higher than it is now and you've done a very nice job on what is probably the most difficult McVey mini to paint :smile:

sublimebrushwork
03-04-2012, 02:36 AM
I second that. The people here are a lot more discerning. What would you rather have-an above average 6 here or a 10 out of 10 over at CMON? (!!!)

Valloa
03-04-2012, 03:08 AM
I second that. The people here are a lot more discerning. What would you rather have-an above average 6 here or a 10 out of 10 over at CMON? (!!!)

This. The ratings are harder to get higher over here, but you also have a lot more talented people voting over here which seems to have slanted the scale downwards a bit. I would reassess how you consider the scores based on what people are voting on adverage, not the 1-10 scale. The average vote for the WAMP galleries is around 6 according to the stats. WAMP also has a nice feature to turn off/disallow voting too. If YOU were pleased with your painting then THAT is all that matters. Not what others rate your work as. You are your best judge of your own work. That is the same and a good rule of thumb when looking at scores regardless of which rating site you use.

dicker_koenig
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Any idea when the results will be in? I know, I'm a bad impatient little painter :D.

Darklord
10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Any idea when the results will be in? I know, I'm a bad impatient little painter :D.

Nope!

AMcV
10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I just sent the results in. :02:

Darklord
10-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Ill get them posted shortly folks

Darklord
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Results are up:
Winners! (http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthread.php?11426-Studio-McVey-2012-Results)