PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Cashgrab (Scott Radom's 2012 sellin' mini's thread)

ScottRadom
13-01-2012, 12:36 AM
My other paint for profit thread seemed a bit of a mess. And I didn't really have a goal or anything so it seemed goofy to me. So instead I thought I'd track the adventures of my selling mini's in 2012 and see how I do. I have no tangible goal, but this will help see how I do. So I am not reall starting with a budget, but if this mini sells I'll just have to pay for it out of the sale price. I'll also track the cost of mini's seperate as I have a tough time for some reason thinking of the cost of the mini as an expense. It is of course, but I gave my soul to this hobby and any time it gives me a little cash back I have a tough time thinking of it as anything other than found money. So that's my rules. Here's the mini...

So I spent about 4$ on the mini itself ($20 for a box of five nobs) and the helmet, base, and shells I'll call 2$ total. So I owe myself 7 bucks. The CMON auction and the listing ar another $1.50 but I will call that a bill and make sure to suck it out of the total the mini sells for (knock on wood).

Allright! Let's see how 2012 goes!

kdlynch
13-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Best o' luck Scott :)

In Chigh
13-01-2012, 01:04 AM
I was just thinking recently about my own failed PFP thread thingy, and was thinking of starting over again with something like this.

Good luck man, im sure you will do well

NeatPete
13-01-2012, 01:42 AM
get em!

exilesjjb
13-01-2012, 01:57 AM
my PFP fell away as I started to get a few commission:jiggy:

I now have 5 regular customers who send me mainly historical wargames figures to paint I am like a Pig in S%$.

Good luck with your endeavours Scott, I will keep an eye on your progress

Ulfgrimr
13-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Good luck Scott, hope it does well for you and gets the new year off to a profitable start.

Darklord
13-01-2012, 10:52 AM
good luck mate. I've added this to the front page widget - lemme know numbers for any more mate and Ill pop em on too

tlepolemos
13-01-2012, 06:51 PM
I am all for supporting local businesses!:biggrin: All the best for your endeavour! Being able to pay some of the bills with doing the things you love most is no easy feat, yet it is extremely rewarding.

ScottRadom
25-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Okay so the Ork went fro around $23, less $8.50 for the mini and bits and another $2.20 for the eBay fees means I only took down

$12.30 profit.

Been a while so I am listing these three mini's....

So Expenses are

- 3 x Cmon Auction credits $2.25
- 3x Auction Fees $2.10
-Spartan Assault Marine (Got a sweet deal on a box of 5 for $15!) $3.00
-RBG Nord guy (Can't find him on the RBG site, I hope he's not discontinued!) Maybe $7.50
-Tallarn Desert guy. Got him in a sweet mini exchange from UnDave! Thanks man! Maybe $3.00

Means $17.85 in expenses. SO I am $5.55 in the hole for now.

Ulfgrimr
26-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Good luck with them Scott.

ScottRadom
29-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Ooops! My listing for my RBG "Skyrim Inspired Mini" got pulled as the makers of Skyrim didn't like the use of their IP in my listing title I guess. I got refunded my listing fee's but not the CMON credit. I'll have to post up again. Sucks as I already had a bidder and their were a dozen watchers. Course ZeniMax inc legal happened to be one of the watchers I guess!

kittykat23uk
01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Oh that's mean! What a shame. Hoope it still sells well for you.

Spectral Dragon
01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
We can't do Bethesda inspired stuff? Bummer!

Hope it sells scott.

Darklord
02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
shame that mate, I had a non gw one pulled once because it mentioned GW in the description (though it wasn't sold as a Gw piece (merely scale compatible)

ScottRadom
04-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Yeah I relisted the skyrim dude and told the guy who had bid on it about the listing. He's a repeat customer and the same guy who bought the tallarn mini so it'll work out. It's at a couple bids now so at least it'll sell. Okay...

Started $5.55 in the hole...

Spartan guy sold for $20

Tallarn guy for $38

eBay fee's of around $5

Means $53 bucks for the good guys! Less the $5.50 I was in the hole makes for $47.50 and I have already "Bought" my RBG mini. So that's allright!

I am listing the scibor nurgley dude on thursday so hopefully that will sell. And I had a couple requests for commision stuff which I'll do towards the end of summer (golf season! Time is precious!) so all in all a good couple weeks on the mini painting front. Cool beans.

Ulfgrimr
04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Good stuff Scott.

warhamsterdave
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Well done Scott, I hope this keeps going well for you.

Orki
04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Woo! Back under par again!

You thought of doing some up to date GW stuff to capitalise on the flavour of the month sales?

ScottRadom
06-04-2012, 03:10 AM
You thought of doing some up to date GW stuff to capitalise on the flavour of the month sales?

I bought some of the newer plastic mini's, and I like them, just never seemed to call to me once they got back home and on the shelf. I really, really, really wanna paint up my Nurgley plastic lord but every time I figure how I want it to look I see another beauty job and kinda rethink what I want the mini to be about. I just sorta grab a mini as I finish off the last one and go from there. It would make sense to try and capitalize for sure, I should give it a shot!

Thanks for the comments guys!

I listed a scibor mutant tonight. I based it up on a 25mm square thinking it might go for a Nurgle Warhammer Fantasy army. I have a soft spot for Nurgle stuff and wanted to try out some flesh techniques for my AoW entry for April's contest. Here's the mini...

I got the mini from the CMON shop during a sale that was going on for Scibor for $8, so the eBay and the CMON credit bring it to $9.50 costs. So $38 above water so far with a couple auctions running now. Sounds liek I might be getting a week in Vegas in late September so extra cash could be good.

sublimebrushwork
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
All good stuff scott. Keep it up!

Orki
06-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I just sorta grab a mini as I finish off the last one and go from there. It would make sense to try and capitalize for sure, I should give it a shot!

Do it! Remember, this is OP:Cashgrab, not OP:WhateverIfeellike.

Gotta pick precision targets, and smash the enemy with a rapid escalation of firepower at the decisive point of conflict.

:rockon:

vegascat
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Way to go brother~! I have to say that I'd been lusting over your Spartan Space Marine guy as it really rocks! Nice to see you got a good price for it.:rockon:

Spectral Dragon
07-04-2012, 02:30 AM
You really should paint those new plastics before they go out of style.

ScottRadom
12-04-2012, 06:37 AM
I started organizing my mini's this week. Yikes. I have a pegboard rack up now with 220+ NIB blister packs from assorted miniatures and god knows how many more boxed sets and loose mini's I have lying around. So no more buying for me for a bit. It's really outta hand. So I need to get to work on this selling stuff I think! Golf eats a lot of my summer time, and I am cool with that but I need to make a conscious effort to thin out the herd over the winter months. I do have a few of the GW plastic mini's and I'll be getting to those in a bit. I've got a mini I am near done for the WAMP mini exchange, my AoW entry, then it's back to trying to hack out some cash mini's. Gotta make a dent in lead mountain and try to get some payback from my "investment" in these little ********. Anyway the RBG Barbarian guy sold for $25 bucks. So less the eBay fees that's another $22 for the good guys.

New total $60 in the black.

Spectral Dragon
12-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I remember that garage of goodness you have from the workplace thread, damn you :P

I think knowing how you want to tackle this based on current trends and your own trends is a good thing, I know with me at least when those things become clear I get more work done :)

Ulfgrimr
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Sounds good Scott, organizing your minis should help clear things in your mind and glad to hear your total is on the up.

ScottRadom
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Been a long while since I posted anything in here. Well I put up an Ork Kommissar that I bought from Kromlech...

I think I paid 10$ for the mini, so it's $1.50 between the lisitng fees and the CMON auction credit. It's been a long while since I did anything for this thread and my paypal account has been emptied many times over since I last sold anything so I am obliged to bring the money ticker back down to zero. So Right now I am $11.50 in the hole. My goal is to make it up to around $120 by March and use the money to buy some golf balls. That's it.

ScottRadom
12-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Okay so mini sold for 30.50 less 10% eBay fee leaves me with $28ish. Less the $11.50 for the listing and the mini it gives me $16.50 for the good guys. So... yay me!

ScottRadom
15-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Okay so 2012 is over and bring on the new year smell of 2013. SNIFFF!!!! Ahhhhhhh.... new year smell. So I am just pushing out some of my painted **** so i can order a bunch of stuff from the WAMPstore. Paint, brushes, and some mini's. Don't need anything just gotta get some new stuff every now and again. I won't be ordering until mid or end of march just in case my package gets left on the front step and freezes solid (as has happened to me in the past) and all the paint get's chucked. So here's the 3 mini's I put up this week...

I have a few mini's from last year, some of them that faield at auction at least once before to pawn off on unsuspecting bidders as well. Also I'll be done a five man malifaux crew by then too so maybe I can get that onto the auction block in time as well. All money raised - after eBay fee's - will be spent at the WAMP store. That's my pledge! Maybe nto so noble as giving to charity or something like that but I really don't care about the needy. 'Cause I am hard like that.

BID OFTEN!