PDA

View Full Version : Sparks profiteering log (hopefully!)

Sparks
29-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Right, bout time I got one of these set up. I used to do this in my final year of Uni, so have a little experience behind me, but it wasn't as focused as this thread will be, it was mainly selling any second hand stuff with the odd painted thing thrown in. I bought the Island of Blood boxed set in order to paint up the models and sell them on, trying to make my money back on the boxes. So far, I've finished a unit of Swordmasters and a Skaven Warlord. The Warlord is on display at my local GW to promote a painting class I'll be doing, but the swordmasters are up. Rather than put myself massively out of pocket, I shall treat the swordmasters as a separately purchased unit to get the ball rolling...

Swordmasters (cheapest BiN from eBay): 10.75
Auction started: Thurs 28th July 0.99

Like others, I'll be aiming to get to the 500 mark eventually. I have a few other figures in mind over the summer, most of which you may have seen on here.

Sparks
06-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Ok, thanks to the magic of the homepage widget, these guys have drummed up a lot of interest. I have 40 people watching, but they're only up to 6 at the moment. When are people going to make their move?! I'm also going to throw my Lizardmen Chief into this thread, as he was originally bought for the same purpose back in 2007. So that brings my totals to:

Model Cost: 13.74
Other Costs: 0
Profit made: 0

Will hopefully update this with a more successful update tomorrow evening!

thetang22
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Good Luck to you, sounds like a neat project.

When are people going to make their move?!

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in regards to eBay and "making their move" as you say - from a buyer's perspective....there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to bid on an item until the very last few moments of the listing. This is something a lot of buyers don't seem to comprehend.

Still, good luck.

Orki
06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
^yarp. It's all about the last-second swoop!

Sparks
06-08-2011, 05:29 PM
As an experienced buyer, I know that myself about the last minute swoop. However, as a seller, I'm very impatient :D

Dysartes
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Patience, Sparks, patience...

It'll all be over tomorrow.

Captain Sprout
06-08-2011, 11:55 PM
I think any sensible buyer bids late and bids their max, that way they don't get bumped up on what they want to pay. Seems sensible enough.

Hopefully you will get lots of people late :biggrin:

Sparks
07-08-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm hoping so, if the bids are high enough overall I'll be buying the speeder bike from Knights Models, so fingers crossed! (they also kinda need to cancel out the Sedition wars impulse buy yesterday!)

Sparks
07-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Sadly, I didn't quite get the money I'd hoped, but it was all certainly nothing to turn my nose up at!

Swordmasters went for 32, Lizard for 11.61. Both to the same seller. I will edit this after I've done the postage costs, but for now...

Model costs: 13.74
Auction wins: 43.61
Ebay fees: 4.36
Postage: ??

So prior to postage, profit is.....25.51. Not a huge amount, but it's a start and gives me a budget to choose something new. Question is, what?

Captain Sprout
08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I would vote for something I liked but the Ebay biz appears to need something people want to buy like Warhammery things.

What about one of the new Vampire Counts plastics? A nice one of those might be a good seller.

Dysartes
08-08-2011, 12:57 AM
The new plastic characters might be a good choice, as Captain Sprout pointed out.

Have a look at the market for the things you'd like to paint, and use that as a guide.

Reminds me of trading on the auction house on WoW...

Sparks
08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Cheers for the suggestions guys! If only I'd included my dwarves in this. I bought them 4 years ago for this very purpose. Tonight they came in at over 350! I can't remember the exact cost of them in the first place though. I have a storm of chaos sorceror, and I think the Skaven Warlord might be next just to get him off my shelves, along with a Griff Oberwald for the same reason. Might as well continue selling the old stuff that's already painted (seeing as they were intended to be repainted for profits) on the lead up to Golden Demon!

Dysartes
08-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Which Griff Oberwald, Sparks? Original "flat" Griff, or the newer mid-tackle Griff? In either case, any chance of a picture?